Where we write/record

• Moderators

I'm eyeing up the RODE NTK right now... almost ready to pull the trigger. Someone talk me out of it! Or into it!

Well... the NTK's cool. But it's bright. And I thnk you have sort of bright voice. Have you tried an SM7 or an RE20? Having heard your singing, you might find those suitable to your pipes.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well... the NTK's cool. But it's bright. And I thnk you have sort of bright voice. Have you tried an SM7 or an RE20? Having heard your singing, you might find those suitable to your pipes.

I haven't... no. But I find all this a bit confusing and have little to no experience. Where would I even try these mics out...?

• Members

Guitar Center at the very least. You probably have a audio shop in your town. Where are you?

Philly area. There are plenty of places to go, but I can't imagine going in there and singing into a mic in public. I'm shy like that.

• Members

Philly area. There are plenty of places to go, but I can't imagine going in there and singing into a mic in public. I'm shy like that.

You're a musician. Embarrassment is your lot in life. Get over it. Money's on the line. Art, too.

;)

• Members

It's a running joke at Gearslutz that you can't
really
be considered part of the greater GS family unless you have at least one SM7B.
:D

I can't really find a use for it, though. Personally, on cabs, I'd rather use MD421, on vocals or acoustic instruments, I'd rather use RE20, and on kick drum or toms, I think I'd give MD421 the edge.

Maybe if I had one, I'd use it, probably.

• Members

I can't really find a use for it, though. Personally, on cabs, I'd rather use MD421, on vocals or acoustic instruments, I'd rather use RE20, and on kick drum or toms, I think I'd give MD421 the edge.

I tried a SM-7b and a MD-421 and chose the 421 myself. SM-7b is a good mic (especially with the right preamp) but I'm not sure why everyone thinks of it as the must-have mic right now - it's sort of like Telecasters for guitar players - a great instrument but at some point everyone is going to go back to playing a Strat again.

• Members

Oh, hell naw, Teles are sweet as hell. Don't be dissing the Tele.

I have a bunch of Strats but I give them no respect at all. For me, it's all about Mustangs, Teles, and Les Paul flat tops. To me, Strats are so boring that they're just guitars.

• Members

There's a use for just about every mic. Like guitars. But, of course, in the real world, it's hard to justify having one or more of each. Sadly, also like guitars.

I don't have much experience with SM7B's. My old tenant bought one and we recorded me doing something with vocal and guitar. I thought it sounded pretty nice. But I didn't rush out and buy one.

Now... don't you be dissing Strats. ;)

• Members

My recording setup has no permanent address in our condo. It's all piled up and disassembled and I have to put it all together each and every time I record. I record on a Toshiba laptop. When I think about it it's a pain to have to set it all up and then break it down again but I'm used to it now. I usually have two kinds of setups to assemble: one to record guitar or bass and another to record vocals or acoustic guitar. The former is all done direct without amps using either a Yamaha DG Stomp, a Sansamp GT2 or a brand new Tech 21 Leeds. The latter uses an SM57 or CAD M179 into an M-Audio DMP3 then into a FMR RNC. Drums are either Addictive Drums or Superior Drummer (in the past, EZ Drummer).

Oh yes, I do record midi keys with an old Roland EP7 or a little M-Audio Oxygen 8.

For mixing I use KRK RP5's or B&W 602s. My weakest link is my M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface which I expect to malfunction any day now - mainly because of the cheap wonky plastic assembly. It works but it's a piece of crap.

If I saw this thread earlier I would've taken a pic during my after dinner guitar overdub session.

• Members
im more than envious of your gretsch!!

:) 'tis a beaut isn't it? Got it on eBay for 350 quid a couple of years ago. Supposedly "used" but clearly hadn't been touched (foam still under bridge and tags still on it). Less than half the price of either of the other two guitars next to it, but it's probably my favourite of all of them.

• Members

Now... don't
you
be dissing Strats.
;)

I like the Strat body. I find it comfortable. But I find the standard three-pickup SSS Strat with the standard blade switch to sound uninspiring and I think the 5-way and the volume knob are in really awful places for modern styles of playing. People get used to it but it's just easier to play punk rock on anything but a Strat. Now, once you modify a Strat, it's no longer a standard Strat, and those can be whatever you like. My Hello Kitty guitars are definitely Strats, but they don't suffer from any punk rock deficiencies. Even my single-coil Strats have unorthodox wiring to give me more interesting sounds I can work with.

I think it was Sterling Ball or someone at Music Man who was talking on an interview of some sort and he held up a blade switch and said, this has shaped the sound of guitars more than any other thing in existence. I'm inclined to agree with him. There's just a lot of possibilities that people never tap into because on so many guitars with three pickups, the five-way does exactly the same thing, and so Strats cheap and expensive all pretty much have the same character of sound as a result. I find that kind of sad. It's like everyone sounding like Antares because they're using the same Auto-Tune.

• Members

I'd imagine that it's still one of the most popular punk guitars, though, mainly because it's everywhere. I think it's plenty punk as long as you do a few things to make it work for you, or if you've only played Strats your whole life then it probably doesn't bug you.

Strats aren't exactly metal either, but there's plenty of shredders rocking their Fender Strats proudly.

Archived