I may have found my Holy Grail amp/tone.....

Chrisjd

• Members

I generally am not a huge fan of boosting, but this past weekend I experimented boosting my Baron MII 100.

The toanes I am getting are ridiculous. It's so crunchy, but not at all overly harsh. It's just really responsive and lively sounding on the gain channels. It sounds as tight as teh Cobra but the lowend is more easily manageable. Not saying it's better, but so far I am loving what I am hearing.

Being that the amp is essentially three channels, I can switch the maxon pedal on and off on each channel for even more versatility. I also love the fact that the FX loop is footswitchable, considering I am using my delay much more than I used to.

I will be doing a video soon.

• Members

if you have a tube amp, boosting can be a lot of fun. Andy Sneap is the king of boosting (amp cooking). that's how he gets his 5150's and Krank's to sound so wonderful!

sadly, I never tried boosting my Baron when I had it.....doh

Which model did you have? Mine is 4 6L6. I don't think it is quite as tight as the KT88 versions, but with the boost it gets that perfect sweet spot.

• Members

Hey Chris,

Glad to hear you dig the amp .I have an M2 60 on order with El34.

the mid sweep dial on the drive channel ,and the tight/open control on the poweramp for tuning the response.

Dave is great .really looking forward to the amp .will have to try a boost

• Members

Damn nice man. I would love to try out a baron. I think a cobra may actually be what I am looking for, but I really wont know til I try one. For now, the 6505 is doing it for me, for the most part. Looking forward to your video!! :thu:

• Members

Which model did you have? Mine is 4 6L6. I don't think it is quite as tight as the KT88 versions, but with the boost it gets that perfect sweet spot.

I had the MI60L. Great amp, but I sold it in hopes of getting the 2 channel version which I believe you have

• Members

I generally am not a huge fan of boosting, but this past weekend I experimented boosting my Baron MII 100.

The toanes I am getting are ridiculous. It's so crunchy, but not at all overly harsh. It's just really responsive and lively sounding on the gain channels. It sounds as tight as teh Cobra but the lowend is more easily manageable. Not saying it's better, but so far I am loving what I am hearing.

Being that the amp is essentially three channels, I can switch the maxon pedal on and off on each channel for even more versatility. I also love the fact that the FX loop is footswitchable, considering I am using my delay much more than I used to.

I will be doing a video soon.

Well you sold the Cobra, so the Baron must be better. :lol:

I will agree with you on the boost though. With KT88s, it didn't need a boost at all - but boosting it with my BB preamp just made it even better.

The one slight negative about the amp for me was that it almost had too much gain. It did crushing metal tones quite well, but it was hard to dial in a mid-gain rock tone that I was happy with - unlike the UL I had, which is why I parted ways with the Baron. I kinda wish I still had it, but now I'm all about the :snax:

Archived