AxeFX.

NixerX

• Members

On the above subject....any suggestions for a good poweramp to compliment the Snax?

Everyone says SS the SLA2 is great. Carvin T100 is good inexpensive tube power amp..then of course there is the Freyette 2/90/2

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

have zach build you a 200 watt rack mount power amp using his Titan power section.

Epic would ensue..

Speaking of epic, just for kicks, I may run one of the sides of the snax into my nitro's power section and the other side into the titan's power section...

smile-blowup.gif

• Members
have zach build you a 200 watt rack mount power amp using his Titan power section.

Epic would ensue..

Speaking of epic, just for kicks, I may run one of the sides of the snax into my nitro's power section and the other side into the titan's power section...

smile-blowup.gif

Thats a good :idea:

• Members

I'm contemplating getting one as well.

I have a few questions about footswitches, if someone doesn't mind answering them?
I want to be able to have like a clean sound, a slightly broken up (bluesy) sound, a rhythm mid-gain, lead mid-gain, rhythm hi-gain and lead hi-gain.
I also would like to then assign effects to the channel, but not have the effects stored, so I can essentially switch on the effects on the fly.
What pedal would do that for me?
I use whammy, delay (about 3-4 different kinds), wah, reverb, and am starting to get into flangers.
Is that even possible with the Axe-fx + whatever amazing footswitch this is or should I stick with amp and pedals?

Can I combine amps with the axe-fx? (Like the XTC and SLO?)

Is there a website where it breaks the axe-fx down for rack n00bs such as myself?

Thanks

• Members

I have a few questions about footswitches, if someone doesn't mind answering them?

I want to be able to have like a clean sound, a slightly broken up (bluesy) sound, a rhythm mid-gain, lead mid-gain, rhythm hi-gain and lead hi-gain.

I also would like to then assign effects to the channel, but not have the effects stored, so I can essentially switch on the effects on the fly.

I use whammy, delay (about 3-4 different kinds), wah, reverb, and am starting to get into flangers.

Is that even possible with the Axe-fx + whatever amazing footswitch this is or should I stick with amp and pedals?

Is there a website where it breaks the axe-fx down for rack n00bs such as myself?

Thanks

The answer is YES to all of the above. Go to the Fractal Forums and hang out, you will find all the answers to your questions there. If you don't, simply ask, someone will pipe in and give you the lowdown. Maybe even Cliff himself.

Gary

• Members

it cured my gas and you know its dont get worse than me

Dimebag? RIP haven't seen him around for some time.

And.....OP....WIN!

And...I want one BAD! Mos def would use it with a tube amp/poweramp live.

Literally...the best of both worlds real deal.

• Members

Everyone says SS the SLA2 is great. Carvin T100 is good inexpensive tube power amp..then of course there is the Freyette 2/90/2

I haven't owned the snax (yet)...but form everything else I have owned (preamps).....if you want your snax a little tighter and brighter...get a SS. If you want more smooth and sag and depth....stick it in a tube.

• Members

Just got ours two or three weeks ago now. Still figuring it all out, but damn that thing is a tone machine. Definitely worth it to get the Ultra- in the end, I believe that the Standard will hit it's CPU limit way before the Ultra will.

• Members
I wouldn't say it sounds bad per sey, just that for live application there are lots of better things out there. I have seen a lot of big acts using the Axe Fx live in the past year (Devin Townsend, Dweezil Zappa, Cynic, etc.) and the tone was fine, but it just felt lacking (ESPECIALLY in the case of Cynic) and for the guys that had a second guitarist with a tube amp, the Axe sounded mediocre in comparison (all IMO of course)

mine recorded sounds amazing....live is the only thing that makes me :confused:

I need to try it thru a variety of things.... really hope I can make it sound just as good

*EDIT* I haven't tried it live yet , I'm just hoping I can make it sound as good ;)

• Members

Thanks

For that sort of function I stick the effects in the chain however I want them and assign an expression pedal to the appropriate parameter. For my Fender clean tone I stick a Hard Fuzz in front of it and assign an expression pedal to the "mix" control of the fuzz which allows me to blend it in with the guitar signal, I usually just stomp all the way forward to 100% though. For delays and reverbs and such you can assign a pedal to the mix control and do the same but adjust the slope of the expression pedal modifier so going all the way forward brings up your delays or reverbs to 30% or something like that. Sky's the limit really.

And yes, you can combine multiple amps, I do it all the time. :rawk:

• Members

What's the consensus for live useage as that's what I'm mainly interested in it for.

I've no interest in recording whatsoever with anything.

I hate it in fact.

But I would like to use it for everything.

Get rid of my pedalboard and pedals.

Take it from my bedroom to the stage

• Members

What's the consensus for live useage as that's what I'm mainly interested in it for.

I've no interest in recording whatsoever with anything.

I hate it in fact.

But I would like to use it for everything.

Get rid of my pedalboard and pedals.

Take it from my bedroom to the stage

[YOUTUBE]NytC5iN0Lng[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Sorry different strokes for different folks but not for me. I have a Vetta I played for 5 years and really liked it, yes I know it is not the same as the axe-fx but same idea. I have thought about selling it but won

• Members

I did have a post typed up here but I deleted it. Let's be honest, it would have only caused {censored} even if it is just my opinion, and I can't really be arsed to explain in great depth my thoughts on it. Plus then I'd only be told I was wrong or not doing it right.

Fanboi-ism is strong with the snax.

On a lighter note, I am hoping my THD Hot Plate arrives today. The awesome plexi rig will then be pretty much complete.

• Members
I did have a post typed up here but I deleted it. Let's be honest, it would have only caused {censored} even if it is just my opinion, and I can't really be arsed to explain in great depth my thoughts on it. Plus then I'd only be told I was wrong or not doing it right.

On a lighter note, I am hoping my THD Hot Plate arrives today. The awesome plexi rig will then be pretty much complete.

I haven't heard good things with people using Plexi's with hotplates to be honest :idk:

Even though I have never played a Plexi through a hotplate to hear it for myself I can still comment in depth about its sound.

• Members

I'm on the list soon as well. Once I finish working this summer, an Axe FX Ultra is going to be en route to me. Still debating about going with an Atomic powered cab, or an ART SLA2 power amp and some sort of decent OS 1x12 (Port City, Mesa, etc), however.

• Members
I did have a post typed up here but I deleted it. Let's be honest, it would have only caused {censored} even if it is just my opinion, and I can't really be arsed to explain in great depth my thoughts on it.
Plus then I'd only be told I was wrong or not doing it right.

Nah, people would have just told you to try it first :cop:

• Members
I haven't heard good things with people using Plexi's with hotplates to be honest
:idk:

Even though I have never played a Plexi through a hotplate to hear it for myself I can still comment in depth about its sound.

Well, I tried one the other day with an Orange AD30.

I used channel 1
Kept the gain low and dimed the master.

It sounded pretty damn good to me :idk:

I'm hoping that similar results will ensue with the 1987x

To be fair, you dont have to flog the amp that hard to get it to overdrive. Both volumes on half will easily produce a lot of crunch. especially if you shove some kind of boost up it.

I am not looking to the attenuator for bedroom level playing.
Just to take a bit of the edge off when playing live.
And due to the bright nature of the plexi, I'll also have a fiddle with the deep switch on the Hot Plate to maybe add some depth.
:thu::thu:

Archived