AxeFX.

NixerX

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

are you saying it sounds like dick live?

I wouldn't say it sounds bad per sey, just that for live application there are lots of better things out there. I have seen a lot of big acts using the Axe Fx live in the past year (Devin Townsend, Dweezil Zappa, Cynic, etc.) and the tone was fine, but it just felt lacking (ESPECIALLY in the case of Cynic) and for the guys that had a second guitarist with a tube amp, the Axe sounded mediocre in comparison (all IMO of course)

• Members

I wouldn't say it sounds bad per sey, just that for live application there are lots of better things out there. I have seen a lot of big acts using the Axe Fx live in the past year (Devin Townsend, Dweezil Zappa, Cynic, etc.) and the tone was fine, but it just felt lacking (ESPECIALLY in the case of Cynic) and for the guys that had a second guitarist with a tube amp, the Axe sounded mediocre in comparison (all IMO of course)

Could it have been the sound guy / system?

• Members
are you saying it sounds like dick live?

Nope just live I am a 1 or 2 channel volume tone and boost guy.

I have never even used a delay live :D

In the studio its a different beast for me.

Bacily live I am lazy, but I would be happy to use the Axe live, but for me it would be overkill, thats all.
Though I did use a Felxtone II about 8 or 9 years ago, it was OK but I realised then I am a 1 channel and boost kind of guy.

• Members

This is what happened a couple of shows for us. Our singer was using his Axefx into some SS power amp and a 4X12 and my renegade 212 combo absolutely buried it.

• Members

I use mine live and it cuts through like butter.

I am fortunate enough to own the PA and do the sound.

After years of letting sound guys bury the guitar and get paid better than me, I decided to buy the PA and run it.......good investment for the pocket book and sanity.

I have heard many tube amps get buried in the mix or get buried by another guitarist who is also using a tube amp. I've heard kick drums get buried by bass players, etc, etc, etc. It's usually pilot error. It certainly doesn't mean the kick drum beater is sub par :facepalm:

Mark

• Members

How you set it up for live work is key IMHO - running it through the PA is critical. I go direct from the Axe out to our 5k rig and take another output via an SLA-1 into a 4x12 cabinet which sits behind me on stage. I usually run a teeny amount of reverb and delay on the outs to the PA and have the signal behind me dry.

Sounds {censored}ing amazing...

• Members

I know I had asked this quesiton to AxeFX owners before, but I can't remember and the search doen't work, so I'm sorry for asking this again:

How do you connect your AxeFX to your PC for direct recording?
I do remember it does not have a USB connection.
Could you just use a regular guitar jack-cable to plug into an interface like my POD UX2? Would that work? or is there another/better way of doing this?

Just to clarify this: I don't have an AxeFX, but I'm having serious GAS for the Ultra and the gas keeps growing stronger.

Lars

• Members
I use mine live and it cuts through like butter.

I am fortunate enough to own the PA and do the sound.

After years of letting sound guys bury the guitar and get paid better than me, I decided to buy the PA and run it.......good investment for the pocket book and sanity.

I have heard many tube amps get buried in the mix or get buried by another guitarist who is also using a tube amp. I've heard kick drums get buried by bass players, etc, etc, etc. It's usually pilot error. It certainly doesn't mean the kick drum beater is sub par
:facepalm:

Mark

Good points, i've plenty of very nice tube amps get buried/pale next to other amps with no correlation between price and quality. A friend of mine used to have a Bad Cat Hotcat 30 that he had the hardest time dialing in, it never sat right in a band mix. My Egnater always sat perfectly and the the Axe does the same. I'd be willing to bet that anyone that has trouble with the Axe getting buried in the mix probably has the same issues with other amps.

• Members
Thanks, downloaded and reading!
:thu:
I've honestly never thought much about getting one of these, so never done any research but all this hype has started to get me thinking...

You'll have one by the end of the month....
Its a plague I tell ya.

• Members
I know I had asked this quesiton to AxeFX owners before, but I can't remember and the search doen't work, so I'm sorry for asking this again:

How do you connect your AxeFX to your PC for direct recording?

I do remember it does not have a USB connection.

Could you just use a regular guitar jack-cable to plug into an interface like my POD UX2? Would that work? or is there another/better way of doing this?

Just to clarify this: I don't have an AxeFX, but I'm having serious GAS for the Ultra and the gas keeps growing stronger.

Lars

anybody?:confused:

Archived