Does anyone here know anything about Organs?

Boris the Blade

• Members

I want a Hammond B3 so {censored}ing bad. they just sound so awesome. But god damn they are expensive. The prices make me cry :( im really into that raunchy organ sound, like in the beginning of perfect strangers and the organ solo in Gypsy by Uriah Heep.

is there any cheaper organ that can kinda get close to that sound? i also want to play toccata and fugue in d minor without getting a pipe organ. lololol anyways, i see some organs on craigslist but i dont know much about them. halp!

here are some examples

Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers

PEVkcd3tBDY

Gypsy by Uriah Heep. Organ Solo starts at about 2:27

t28kudqwENs

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pick up an old M series (m3, m100, etc) and drop more money into a good tube Leslie. The organ itself won't get you those tones, it's actually the organ overdriving the Leslie amplifier. The M3 is considered the poor-man's B3.

I see. So the amplifier is going to be a separate unit I will have to buy? and i just have to drop said amplifier into the M3?

also there is a baldwin pipe organ on my local craiglist for $400. are those any godo?

• Members

I don't know about pipe organs.

The Hammond organs are their own unit in and of themselves. They have their own amplifier and built in speakers, and most have a vibrato circuit...but it's not a spinning speaker. Most of the overdriven, spinning organ sounds you hear are actually using the Hammond's preamplifier into a Leslie speaker, which has it's own amplifier as well. The Leslie speakers were not made by Hammond, and had to be adapted to use with a Leslie speaker.

• Members

Native Instruments Kontakt. Incredibly close.

Thank me later.

So right on Loop! I have NI Komplete 6 (comes w/ Kontakt as well) and the Hammond is SICK!!!! Get a fully weighted Keyboard MIDI controller to play out of it and buckle up!! Amazing what software can pull off this day and age.

• Members

yeah M-3's are fun. same tone generator as the B-3 but one less octave and less features. you can do a simple line out mod on them and chop them so they're easier to move. Leslies are pretty impractical nowadays, a Boss Rotary Ensemble will fool anyone in the audience, they sound incredible actually.

• Members

:thu:

I was going to Say NI B4, or whatever the most recent version of it is called.

I am surprised people are saying Kontakt. That is a sampler, and not an emulating synth like B4 is.
:confused:

Kontakt can still load the instruments and samples, you just lose the traditional interface and open up new Kontakt options.

• Members

Kontakt can still load the instruments and samples, you just lose the traditional interface and open up new Kontakt options.

Yeah, I just figure if you only want a Hammond B3, the Hammond B3 emulator program would be the best option :D Then you could tweak the draw bars and everything like the original.

Kontakt is a badass program as well, just depends on what he wants. It is very easy to get overloaded in features in software, so I usually try to go by the rule that less is more.

• Members

Yeah, I just figure if you only want a Hammond B3, the Hammond B3 emulator program would be the best option
:D
Then you could tweak the draw bars and everything like the original.

Kontakt is a badass program as well, just depends on what he wants. It is very easy to get overloaded in features in software, so I usually try to go by the rule that less is more.

At this point Komplete is affordable enough that it's a worthwhile purchase. Also, NI has a terrible habit of releasing a really killer program for 1 or 2 versions, but then immediately discontinuing support and adding watered down sample sets to new bundles. Kontakt will still be able to open even those older files, which is a very useful trick, especially if you've created a lot of custom patches.

• Members

At this point Komplete is affordable enough that it's a worthwhile purchase. Also, NI has a terrible habit of releasing a really killer program for 1 or 2 versions, but then immediately discontinuing support and adding watered down sample sets to new bundles. Kontakt will still be able to open even those older files, which is a very useful trick, especially if you've created a lot of custom patches.

I will agree that their pricing is way better these days. I used to buy their programs at $200+ EACH. If you wanted what Komplete came with, you would be talking $1500 or more, so I am glad they finally got better about their pricing.

To be honest, I am not 100% sure on their current lineup. I still use my $200 FM7/Absynth1/Battery1, etc.. :D

• Members

B3 sounds and pipe organ sounds are quite a bit different. To do the Toccata and Fugue justice requires a pipe organ or a close facsimile of one a full pedalboard and a whole lot of talent. I had a digital pipe organ in my house for a while. They're big and expensive, but you'll get that sound. Rodgers is the big name in digital pipe organs.

The B3 sound is easier and cheaper. There are several modules you can get to plug into any MIDI keyboard. I have a Roland VK-8M (for sale) that has drawbars, leslie sim and all the tone essentials that go into the B3 sound. It sounds really good. It's also available as a keyboard, the VK-8. Hammond also makes a few digital B3 clones. The Nord electro is supposed to do a decent B3 sound too.

• Members

I was going to Say NI B4, or whatever the most recent version of it is called.

I am surprised people are saying Kontakt. That is a sampler, and not an emulating synth like B4 is.
:confused:

B4 is dead and gone, and all of it's content (now sample based) lives on in Kontakt.

That's why I said it. :thu:

BTW....I have Komplete, and am a shameless fanboy of NI.

• Members

B4 is dead and gone, and all of it's content (now sample based) lives on in Kontakt.

That's why I said it.

BTW....I have Komplete, and am a shameless fanboy of NI.

Thats what I am learning now that I am researching their website.

Thats sad. He should just find a copy for $20 and call it a day :D

Archived