Does anyone here know anything about Organs?

Boris the Blade

• Members

B3 sounds and pipe organ sounds are quite a bit different. To do the Toccata and Fugue justice requires a pipe organ or a close facsimile of one a full pedalboard and a whole lot of talent. I had a digital pipe organ in my house for a while. They're big and expensive, but you'll get that sound.
is the big name in digital pipe organs.

The B3 sound is easier and cheaper. There are several modules you can get to plug into any MIDI keyboard. I have a Roland VK-8M (for sale) that has drawbars, leslie sim and all the tone essentials that go into the B3 sound. It sounds really good. It's also available as a keyboard, the VK-8. Hammond also makes a few digital B3 clones. The Nord electro is supposed to do a decent B3 sound too.

haha yeah the toccata and fugue thing was kind of a joke. 2 organs owuld be cool though. do you know anything about that baldwin pipe organ? there is one on my local craigslist for 400 bucks.

I think im going to scout for an m3 or m100. that xk-3 looks pretty sweet but i definitely dont have the cash for one of those.

if all else fails, i might be intersted in this kontakt NI deal and get a bad ass keyboard. any recommendations?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I own a B3, it stays in the "studio" ( back room behind the garage)

I also own a Plugiator which is a small module that has a phenomenal proprietary "plug in" B3 and Mini moog within it.

Trust me if you are planning on gigging in todays world you do not want or need to lug around a real B3.

If you're a play at home musician then the M3 with a leslie speaker is an awesome way to get that sound with the leslie being your bigger investment.

In the late 70's I used to lug an M3 and a leslie 910 around using a fender showman to drive the 910.. Toatally kicked ass and kicked our asses lugging it.

My personal favorite right now is the Nord Electro 2 for Hammond. Very slick has a damn nice leslie emulation, overdrive. I just picked up a cherry condition one with pro road case for $1000

The electro 3 is even cooler because of the broader spectrum of sounds but another 800 to 1000 for sounds I already have on my Yamaha M06

• Members

haha yeah the toccata and fugue thing was kind of a joke. 2 organs owuld be cool though. do you know anything about that baldwin pipe organ? there is one on my local craigslist for 400 bucks.

I think im going to scout for an m3 or m100. that xk-3 looks pretty sweet but i definitely dont have the cash for one of those.

if all else fails, i might be intersted in this kontakt NI deal and get a bad ass keyboard. any recommendations?

The digital one I had was a Baldwin. It was pretty good. Not quite the real thing though. I can't tell if that's digital or the console for a real organ. Either way, it won't sound anything like a B3. If it's digital, it's a decent price assuming it all works. You'll need external amplification for it.

• Members

B3s sound {censored}ing unbelievable!
:love:

Trust me on this one, though, you never, ever, EVER want to have to move one! They're apparently constructed entirely of depleted uranium.

Truth. My dad had one when I was a really young kid. I wish he had kept it because it was a '66 or something and I'd love to have that in my collection today.... :love:

• Members

Pick up an old M series (m3, m100, etc) and drop more money into a good tube Leslie. The organ itself won't get you those tones, it's actually the organ overdriving the Leslie amplifier. The M3 is considered the poor-man's B3.

My ex-keyboard player from way back had an M3, and you're right on about the poor man's B3. Between that and the oak cabinet Leslie, it was Hernia City :cry:

• Members

So right on Loop! I have NI Komplete 6 (comes w/ Kontakt as well) and the Hammond is SICK!!!! Get a fully weighted Keyboard MIDI controller to play out of it and buckle up!! Amazing what software can pull off this day and age.

Maybe it suits you fine, but IMO fully weighted piano style keys for organ stuff just feels wildly inappropriate. :confused:

But yes, I agree with the software route for organ stuff. Get M-Tron while you're at it too. :love:

• Members

I don't know about pipe organs....

Huge, expensive as {censored}, finnicky from what I understand, but gatdamn, I LOVE LOVE LOVE hearing (& feeling) them in person. I'm an atheist by most standards, but pipe organs are probably my fave instrument ever. Awesome power that shake your whole body.

If anybody here hasn't heard a good organist play live, I emplore you to do so.

• Members

by the way if anyone here is interested in trading their M3 for my guitar stuff, hit me up. i think im officially done with guitar...

lol

B/c Hammonds bring the {censored}.

donsdavis3.jpg

Also, R.I.P. Don S. Davis. And {censored} cancer.

• Members

dude, had this happened recently, I would have definitely given it to ya
:(

He died a few years ago...

What is this about giving up guitar?? Dude, you're a killer player
:eek:

I dont know man. The motivation to play guitar is no longer there :( I've been really wanting to pursue another instrument. I am hooked to that gorgeous sound of the organ. Ive been playing a little bit of keys lately and i feel like i can definitely be better at that than guitar.

• Members

I dont know man. The motivation to play guitar is no longer there
I've been really wanting to pursue another instrument. I am hooked to that gorgeous sound of the organ. Ive been playing a little bit of keys lately and i feel like i can definitely be better at that than guitar.

Dude, seriously, maybe take a break from geetar but negative on the "giving it up" part.

Unless that's code for giving up the ass, in which case :love:.

• Members

Dude, seriously, maybe take a break from geetar but negative on the "giving it up" part.

Unless that's code for giving up the ass, in which case

lol!

i actually havent played much at all in the past month or so. i feel like its time to move on :o ive been wanting to play teh organ! its time to make it happen! :D

• Members

I dont know man. The motivation to play guitar is no longer there
I've been really wanting to pursue another instrument. I am hooked to that gorgeous sound of the organ. Ive been playing a little bit of keys lately and i feel like i can definitely be better at that than guitar.

Yeah, I wouldn't go giving up your guitar equipment just yet. I go between a few things here and there (the latest being a 6-string fretless bass), but in the end, I'm a guitarist at heart and I always come back to it. While you might not be quite as hooked on guitar or whatever, I think you'd regret it later if you got rid of all your stuff. Unless you're not all too picky about your gear and wouldn't mind just picking up something else later if you wanted to get back into guitar. :idk:

Archived