YT: Fortin Natas - Metal

Texassranger

• Members

This. All of Ola's clips sound great, but really sound similar. Actually I liked his EVH 5150III clip a little better. All the Fortin clips I've heard so far have this really tight, tight, tight voicing with a super fast attack, little note bloom, and very little warmth or overall thickness or richness to the sound. Similar as someone said to a solid state amp. I'm 99% certain this has to do with the power amp design, as Fortin himself has commented on how he designed this amp to reamain super tight/articulate at super high volumes. He really likes loud amps. This is all well and good, but it seems to me some other characteristics were lost. I like something a little thicker and warmer sounding.

That tightness is what I like about it. My 6505 212 shares this characteristic....very tight and VERY fast tracking. I love it...I love the way the low end sounds and feels when an amp is that tight....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That tightness is what I like about it. My 6505 212 shares this characteristic....very tight and VERY fast tracking. I love it...I love the way the low end sounds and feels when an amp is that tight....

You should try a Fryette (formerly VHT) UL or Sig X. They have that same ultra tight/dry/articulate sound... And hold together at extreme volumes. I do know that Mike Fortin owned a VHT UL at some point, so I wonder how "similar" the power supply and filtering circuit are to those of the NATAS????

• Members

Still haven't heard a Fortin clip that has me remotely interested in buying one.

And before everyone starts screaming "ITS NOT YOUR THING YOU CAN'T JUDGE INTERNET CLIPS YOUR MOM'S A WHORE", no I haven't played one.

Just not interested. Haven't heard anything that would make me even think about selling the Einstein.

• Members
The amp can definitely get fat and warm, while retaining cut. I noticed in the one video the Grind control is set to max. Lowering it warms and widens the tone considerably.

Not much in common with VHT amps, as this can get far more saturated and liquidy.

The amp in person really sounds unique. The recording, while good, didn't capture that. More will come soon.

Been hearing the same stuff for a while now. Excuses that is. If someone is seriously wanting to sell $4000+ amps on a steady, regular basis ie as a business... they might want to take the time to make some proper clips first. Get a pro, in a studio, hire an engineer, and record. Simple. Take a look at Bogner's website for example. Instead of coming up with reasons why this clip, then that clip, then this whole series of clips doesn't sound so good. Makes no sense to me at all. Zero.
:facepalm:

• Members

You should try a Fryette (formerly VHT) UL or Sig X. They have that same ultra tight/dry/articulate sound... And hold together at extreme volumes. I do know that Mike Fortin owned a VHT UL at some point, so I wonder how "similar" the power supply and filtering circuit are to those of the NATAS????

I had a D60 and didnt like it. I would like to try a UL, but I think it wont be saturated enough for me.

• Members

Man. You guys can be so harsh. No wonder so many builders have been run off. Yeah,yeah gotta have thick skin and all that :blah: If you don't like the amp from the clips then so be it but not one {censored}ing person here can make an educated decision on an amp based on clips/vids alone. If you base your amplifier purchases based on the internet bull{censored} you hear then you are a {censored}ing idiot. Clips and internet bull{censored} have a way of coloring the truth. We all know you have to play one for yourself with your guitar, pickups, strings, cables, cab/cabs, pedals, noisegates, speakers, power supplies, subs, sticky fingers and {censored}ty technique. Not to mention, if your a gigging musician you will most likely want to try it live in your mix with your drummer, bass player, other guitarist and singer. At your favorite {censored}hole with your go to sound guy.

On the other hand, if it wasn't for forums like this and internet bull{censored} clips/vids half the cool amps out there would never be sold or made. Hell, I did not realize half these amps exsisted before discovering this forum.

I, myself, would like to play a Natas and decide if it is right for me. One thing I have noticed about higher end amps, once you get to a certain level and know what you want it is mostly splitting hairs. Meaning, hand built amps have just a smidge extra mojo that you can hear. Most people couldn't notice the difference at your local {censored}hole but for a player it means everything.

I have no idea why I just typed all that {censored}. :arg: You guys know it all already. I love you guys. :love:

CSB, :blah::rolleyes::deadhorse:

• Members

:thu: I think it sounds good, but I also think all your clips tend to have a similar sound.

To me, this amp kind of sounds like a Marshall based preamp, with a Mesa based power section. It is a pretty nice mix of Marshall/Mesa.

• Members
Man. You guys can be so harsh. No wonder so many builders have been run off. Yeah,yeah gotta have thick skin and all that
:blah:
If you don't like the amp from the clips then so be it but not one {censored}ing person here can make an educated decision on an amp based on clips/vids alone. If you base your amplifier purchases based on the internet bull{censored} you hear then you are a {censored}ing idiot. Clips and internet bull{censored} have a way of coloring the truth. We all know you have to play one for yourself with your guitar, pickups, strings, cables, cab/cabs, pedals, noisegates, speakers, power supplies, subs, sticky fingers and {censored}ty technique. Not to mention, if your a gigging musician you will most likely want to try it live in your mix with your drummer, bass player, other guitarist and singer. At your favorite {censored}hole with your go to sound guy.

On the other hand, if it wasn't for forums like this and internet bull{censored} clips/vids half the cool amps out there would never be sold or made. Hell, I did not realize half these amps exsisted before discovering this forum.

I, myself, would like to play a Natas and decide if it is right for me. One thing I have noticed about higher end amps, once you get to a certain level and know what you want it is mostly splitting hairs. Meaning, hand built amps have just a smidge extra mojo that you can hear. Most people couldn't notice the difference at your local {censored}hole but for a player it means everything.

I have no idea why I just typed all that {censored}. :arg: You guys know it all already. I love you guys.
:love:

CSB,
:blah::rolleyes::deadhorse:

I very much agree with this, and I learned that lesson by grabbing a D60 and not liking it lol. Part of the reason Im playing a 5150 with the band...its cheap and sounds good enough. No need to go crazy and buy all this high end gear that Im gonna leave at the practice space, not use but once a week, and when we start playing shows, allow it to get beat up a little. Waste of money, IMO. When I have the cash to buy more high dollar amps, I certainly will, but those will not be band amps...those will be at home amps. When you hit a certain price point, I get nervous to take that {censored} out of the house. They will be great recording tools, but thats about it. And who knows, with my track record, I may buy all these amps, and just go right back to my beloved 6505 212.

• Members
I very much agree with this, and I learned that lesson by grabbing a D60 and not liking it lol. Part of the reason Im playing a 5150 with the band...its cheap and sounds good enough. No need to go crazy and buy all this high end gear that Im gonna leave at the practice space, not use but once a week, and when we start playing shows, allow it to get beat up a little. Waste of money, IMO. When I have the cash to buy more high dollar amps, I certainly will, but those will not be band amps...those will be at home amps. When you hit a certain price point, I get nervous to take that {censored} out of the house. They will be great recording tools, but thats about it. And who knows, with my track record, I may buy all these amps, and just go right back to my beloved 6505 212.

Thnaks Raf...........................Sorry, I was on a rant. :rolleyes::lol:

• Members
Thnaks Raf...........................Sorry, I was on a rant.
:rolleyes::lol:

All good man. Its totally true though. Ill probably still buy amps without trying them first, cuz sometimes you dont get that option, but I wont get my hopes or expectations of them up like I have in the past. Plus, every amp I play through I dial very similarly anyway...

• Members
All good man. Its totally true though. Ill probably still buy amps without trying them first, cuz sometimes you dont get that option, but I wont get my hopes or expectations of them up like I have in the past. Plus, every amp I play through I dial very similarly anyway...

Absolutey, Sometimes we don't have the option of trying it first. I guess my point was don't write an amp off first without trying it in your given situation. As long as you know the amp is in the class that you seek (high gain, low gain, scooped mids, upper mids or whatever). Based on internet bull{censored} the Dragon is the worst amp ever made. I disagree, of course, but if I had listened to the internet I would not own this amp due to the haters.

:lol:
Dude, I am the same way. Every fricken amp I have is dialed in the same way. Just can't help myself. I have the luxury to A/B/C/D every amp I get. This really allows me to compare properly..........So far, the Peters is on top of my pile. :rawk:

• Members
Absolutey, Sometimes we don't have the option of trying it first. I guess my point was don't write an amp off first without trying it in your given situation. As long as you know the amp is in the class that you seek (high gain, low gain, scooped mids, upper mids or whatever). Based on internet bull{censored} the Dragon is the worst amp ever made. I disagree, of course, but if I had listened to the internet I would not own this amp due to the haters.

:lol:
Dude, I am the same way. Every fricken amp I have is dialed in the same way. Just can't help myself. I have the luxury to A/B/C/D every amp I get. This really allows me to compare properly..........So far, the Peters is on top of my pile.
:rawk:

Yeah man. I really wanna try a hydra. After hearing these natas clips, though, the amp reminds me quite a bit of my 6505 212 when the dude is palm-muting the open chord there....And that makes me REALLY wanna try one of those things out.

• Members
Are you referring to me? Wasn't trying to be a smart ass...it just seemed far better produced than a 10 minute quickie. I was stating that it sounded very polished. No need for anyone to take offense.

I misunderstood you then, sorry man.
Hope no offense taken either :)

Archived