Driver's License FML

guitarbilly74

• Members

you must not have long hair and a beard
:lol:
They're dying to throw my happy hippie ass behind bars
:lol:

While it is true that I am short-haired and clean-shaven, with all the circumstances surrounding your inability to renew (especially your trip to the DMV on a furlough day), I'd have to say that it would get thrown out.

But, hell, maybe the judge would have been ass-raped by a hippy-looking guy just like you...so he may not be so lenient :lol:

• Members

I've gotta renew mine this year. Ughhhh. I got the letter in the mail, but my picture he's long hair and people don't think its me. So I have to go waste my time over a picture.

Illinois is 5 years. Arizona is hilarious....its like 40 years. You literally have the one you get at 21 until almost retirement.

• Members

I called the police department to ask if I was allowed to drive just today and Monday morning and the cop said "if we find you driving we will impound your car"
:rolleyes::mad:

What a dick. It usually depends on which one stops you. They no longer send notices here. I was wondering about that, because mine expired on my birthday last month. The rules have changed. I don't have a car registered in my name, and I don't have insurance in my name. It's on record that way and they have to verify everything. They also have all sorts of new questions to fill out for health {censored} and they ask if you're under treatment for being mental. And they check on that {censored}, so if you lie, they can pull your license for six months or more. On the bright side, my new license picture is the first one I've ever liked. Pink and purple hair picture for six more years!

• Members

What a dick. It usually depends on which one stops you. They no longer send notices here. I was wondering about that, because mine expired on my birthday last month. The rules have changed. I don't have a car registered in my name, and I don't have insurance in my name. It's on record that way and they have to verify everything. They also have all sorts of new questions to fill out for health {censored} and they ask if you're under treatment for being mental. And they check on that {censored}, so if you lie, they can pull your license for six months or more. On the bright side, my new license picture is the first one I've ever liked. Pink and purple hair picture for six more years!

Yeah the cop was a total dick, impound a car for a DL expired for one day when the expiration is on a weekend following a furlough? {censored} I try to follow the law (that's why I called to ask in the first place) but sometimes common sense should be used.

But whatever, they do have that power and knowing the LAPD, they will use it if they have the chance. So I won't drive.

It's one of those things that make you go "don't you have real criminals to go after??"

• Members

I completely forgot about it this year, and drove for about a week. Got pulled over, and was surprised as {censored} at what he was pullin' me over for. Long story short, he was cool, and let me go. Went and got it straightened out the next day.

So you're saying he ran your plates for no reason when he saw you in traffic and found out your license was expired?

• Members
yeah but I'd think that if the birthday is on a Saturday they would push the expiration to Monday but nooooooo
:facepalm:

Not to mention on Friday they were closed to for furlough day or whatever. {censored} California.

Switching to the 50w was not something I was planning to do but I found a 50w for cheap on CL this morning so I picked it up.

I like the 50w better as my current band is not that loud and I will be able to get power tube crunch earlier now.

For tabs I think you get a 10 day period after expiration, at least here in MN. Not sure about the license. But you should be able to go in w/o any of the stuff they sent you and get it renewed. They can look you up. If you wait too long I think you have to take the driving test and everything again.

• Members

My dad went on a ride along with the cops one time in redmond. The most common offense they were going after was expired tabs. I don't know if they can get you drives license info in their data base when looking up tags. Though, they'd have to be real asses to give you a ticket when your license was expired and you couldn't get it renewed because his other gov worker buddies got the day off.

• Members

How often do you guys have to renew your licenses there? Mine doesn't expire till 2050
:idk:

Mine's not due til 2011 but last few times I got pulled over that isn't my same address and they give me {censored} about it. I'm like whatever dude, I move alot. I don't see YOU footing the bill for every time that happens. So thanks for your ticket, that I may or may not pay and gl hf.

• Members

Hey, GB, don't forget the new "legal resident" law the feds passed. I just had to renew mine in Aug., went to DMV, and was asked for my birth certificate, SS card (card itself, not just #), and two proofs of address. I haven't seen my BC in years, had to send back to NYC to get a copy ($23), get a 30-day extension from DMV, etc.

Apparently it doesn't matter if you've been legally licensed for years, they're going to approach all renewals as if you're a first-time driver; total pain-in-the-ass!

• Members

Hey, GB, don't forget the new "legal resident" law the feds passed. I just had to renew mine in Aug., went to DMV, and was asked for my birth certificate, SS card (card itself, not just #), and two proofs of address. I haven't seen my BC in years, had to send back to NYC to get a copy ($23), get a 30-day extension from DMV, etc.

Apparently it doesn't matter if you've been legally licensed for years, they're going to approach all renewals as if you're a first-time driver; total pain-in-the-ass!

With the millions of fraudulent cards being made/circulated nowadays, it's gonna make it that much harder on everyone doing it right and legal.

• Members

They always expire on your birthday, don't they? Here, they do.

P.S. What made you switch from the 100 watt head to the 50 watter?

In Saskatchewan, your licence expires on the last day of whatever month your birthday is in...so my birthday is January 16 and my DL doesn't expire till Jan 31st.

• Members

Alberta Canada....no grace period...

Renewing an Driver's Licence

Plan to renew your driver's licence before the expiry date arrives. You may renew your licence up to one year before the licence expires. Courtesy reminder renewal forms for driver's licences are generally mailed to clients six to eight weeks before the expiry. If you have lost the renewal notice or have not received one in the mail, you do not need this form in order to renew you licence.

Renewals must be done in person at any registry agent office. Only residents of Alberta are eligible to renew. Anyone 75 years or older is required to submit a medical report. Medical reports are also required for holders of Class 1, 2 and 4 licences and for all licences with a condition code "C". It is not legal to drive with an expired licence. Any licence that has been expired for more than 3 years will be subject to passing another written and road test before reinstatement. If the photograph on your licence is four or more years old, a new one will have to be taken.

• Members

Years ago, I let my license expire. When I finally went to renew it, the lady who was helping me looked at the expiration date and said, "You have 90 days to renew the license. If it's been expired for more than 90 days, you have to take the driving test again." She picked up a calender and started counting. "...87, 88, 89. You just made it." Renewed without further difficulty. Haven't let it expire since.

• Members

Good point, I will bring everything just in case. Going to the DMV now. :)

Archived