PEAVEY PENTA AMP...where did they go?

lumpy555

• Members

You mean saying it sounds bad based on experience?
:eek:

Dude, you're not going to win a pissing contest, mostly because:

1. I'm still going to play my amp

2. I still couldn't give two {censored}s what you say about it. Because I'm an adult.

Well in another sense....

Me (can't make an orange30 to sound worthy of its$)

You (can with the orange, but not the peavey)

OP (can make the peavey sound good).

But srs bzns. I'm calling shenanigans that you could actually open a penta up fully in a store demo and determine it's merits. Most likely turning it on, fiddling for a moment, and then saying "DNW".

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well in another sense....

Me (can't make an orange30 to sound worthy of its$)

You (can with the orange, but not the peavey)

OP (can make the peavey sound good).

But srs bzns. I'm calling shenanigans that you could actually open a penta up fully in a store demo and determine it's merits. Most likely turning it on, fiddling for a moment, and then saying "DNW".

Dude, it's a 120w amp. You can't open it up fully ANYWHERE.

I had it pretty crankin for the store I was in (they had a few of their amps set up in a "loud room" kind of dealy, acoustic foam on the walls, etc).

I have no idea what the Penta price point even was, but I think it was on par with new 5150II's, no? So the $1300 range? Yeah, if it was the same price as a Windsor, it might have been worth having, but like it or not, the only sounds I got out of it were doodoo.

I'd say it was just the ones I played, but notice how quickly the thing dropped off the face of the planet? You hear any tone hounds regaling how much of a "sleeper amp" it is? Nope. Not a one.

I don't doubt the FJA modded one sounds good, but that guy could make just about anything sound decent

• Members

Fender released a product with a part that was, at that time, covered under warranty that nearly universally failed after a month or so of normal use.

Ergo, these 'savings' you speak of didn't happen. Had better product testing happened, they would've seen that it was going to be an issue and a pretty costly one at that. No company that plans on staying in business very long does that.

Since that whole mess, Fender fixed the design and it's not as big of a problem any more.

I realize that you might be a little too young to really remember when those amps came out, but it was very common to find brand new DeVilles on guitar shop sales floors with stripped out, faulty jacks.

You apparently don't know enough about this stuff to continue this other than name-calling. I don't fault you for that, but it doesn't really do you any favors.

You've been wrong over and over and over in this thread, and I'm not really sure why you're continuing considering your typical MO of drive by trolling didn't really pan out.

I owned one of those Devilles and never had issues. I gigged it hard for 2 years, without ever replacing the stripped out jack. I just wrapped the cable around the handle, and then inserted it in to the jack. It took me 5 seconds to figure that out, and the amp made me a bunch of money over those 2 years without me having to spend a dime.

You still haven't shown me where I'm wrong. You just add to the list of people that are telling you that you are wrong. That's the most hilarious part :lol:

• Members

I owned one of those Devilles and never had issues. I gigged it hard for 2 years, without ever replacing the stripped out jack. I just wrapped the cable around the handle, and then inserted it in to the jack. It took me 5 seconds to figure that out, and the amp made me a bunch of money over those 2 years without me having to spend a dime.

And? Google 'Fender hot rod plastic input jack.' It was a near universal problem, one that prompted them to not only change the amp component use (went to neutrik built jacks, I believe) but to also alter their warranty policy. It was that big of a problem. You don't have to believe me. Just look at the tens of thousands of posts about it on message boards all over the internet, as well as the fact that a number of rather established companies (Torres, for one) have made a pretty good supplement to their business fixing those amps.

Yeah, plugging the cord in once in your bedroom and leaving in plugged in during your two years of 'hard' bedroom gigging may have resulted in it lasting longer, but most people did not have that happen.

So yes, you're still wrong, but like I said, we can keep going if you'd like.

• Members

You know, you could also add to the list of product development/design issues on the HRD's the low volume reverb issue, which is fixed with a mod I detailed in another thread here a while back (yet another one of my supposedly non-contributing threads) which is fixed by removing a resistor. There's really no advantage to having the resistor in place tone-wise, and it only helps to remove it.

Yes, one could make the case that it's a subjective thing, which it is for the most part, but I think a case could also be made that there's clearly a problem with the design, it's more a matter of how willing to deal with it people are.

• Members

You know, you could also add to the list of product development/design issues on the HRD's the low volume reverb issue, which is fixed with a mod I detailed in another thread here a while back (yet another one of my supposedly non-contributing threads) which is fixed by removing a resistor. There's really no advantage to having the resistor in place tone-wise, and it only helps to remove it.

Yes, one could make the case that it's a subjective thing, which it is for the most part, but I think a case could also be made that there's clearly a problem with the design, it's more a matter of how willing to deal with it people are.

keep bringing the issue further away from the shaming you received :lol:

It's ok, I haven't lost sight. You're still a moron.

• Members

I never owned one.

So I will not be able to comment.

Im sorry if I let anyone down.

You don't need to have owned one to comment, as long as your comment is going to add something of value. If you plugged into one and can honestly say that it needed more of this and less of that, you don't need to have owned it for that opinion to hold water. However, if all you have to say is "It sucked" or "It's great" but can't formulate coherent sentences explaining why, then you would be wasting people's time by commenting.

For example:

Valid complaints I've heard voiced from people with fully functioning brains:

- Not enough gain in the mudflap mode

- Mudflap mode is overly bright and lacks mids

- Volume differences between the different modes make using the different modes on the fly all but impossible even if you can settle on EQ settings that work with more than one mode.

- Bass is loose/muddy on some of the modes.

Whereas Travis the Chimp chimes in with:

- That amp sucks.

When asked what exactly about it sucked so hard, the Travis the Chimp chimes in with:

- I played two different ones, they both sucked.

Moral of the story: Chimps make bad pets.

• Members

You don't need to have owned one to comment, as long as your comment is going to add something of value. If you plugged into one and can honestly say that it needed more of this and less of that, you don't need to have owned it for that opinion to hold water. However, if all you have to say is "It sucked" or "It's great" but can't formulate coherent sentences explaining why, then you would be wasting people's time by commenting.

For example:

Valid complaints I've heard voiced from people with fully functioning brains:

- Not enough gain in the mudflap mode

- Mudflap mode is overly bright and lacks mids

- Volume differences between the different modes make using the different modes on the fly all but impossible even if you can settle on EQ settings that work with more than one mode.

- Bass is loose/muddy on some of the modes.

Whereas Travis the Chimp chimes in with:

- That amp sucks.

When asked what exactly about it sucked so hard, the Travis the Chimp chimes in with:

- I played two different ones, they both sucked.

Moral of the story: Chimps make bad pets.

Who decided you get to make the rules when it comes to expressing an opinion? :lol: More importantly, why do you give such a hefty {censored}?

You are a silly bastard who takes the internet FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR too seriously and your butthurt sensor is much too sensitive.

You know what? You're right. The Penta is God's gift to amplifiers. I only wish I were fortunate enough to own one of the sixteen in existence.

duty_calls.png

• Members

keep bringing the issue further away from the shaming you received
:lol:

It's ok, I haven't lost sight. You're still a moron.

It's ok, you've had your ass delivered to you on a platter in this thread over and over and over again, but it's ok, you're still wrong, and you still have nothing other than name calling to 'back up' your piss-poor argument.

But, like I've said over and over in this thread...we can keep going if you would like. You've brought nothing other than adolescent name calling thus far, so I can't imagine you having anything substantive to add at this point.

You keep bumping the thread back from oblivion because you simply cannot handle walking away from it without the last word, because that's your marker of 'victory.'

See, this is the thing with kids like you...you rely on your ability to force others into melt-down mode in order to 'prove' your generally poorly thought-out, ill-informed 'opinions' that you try to pawn off as empirical fact. Then you keep your fingers crossed that you'll get a couple other, equally ill-informed, people to come in on your 'side,' without realizing the nature or intent of the discussion is not even remotely related to what you're attempting (poorly) to argue. What you lack in intelligence and common sense you attempt to make up in childish insults, banking on that everybody else is not as smart as you and not as mature.

• Members

It's ok, you've had your ass delivered to you on a platter in this thread over and over and over again, but it's ok, you're still wrong, and you still have nothing other than name calling to 'back up' your piss-poor argument.

But, like I've said over and over in this thread...we can keep going if you would like. You've brought nothing other than adolescent name calling thus far, so I can't imagine you having anything substantive to add at this point.

oh-snap.jpg

{censored} JUST GOT REALEST

badboys2.jpg

• Members

{censored} JUST GOT REALEST

Except that it's not even really a 'discussion' at this point. It's so formulaic I could write a template on what comes next. It's like trying to argue contemporary philosophy with a chimpanzee.

OP: Substantive statement.

Other poster: Statement of refute

Next poster: Elaboration on and refutation of second poster

OP: Resolution.

Ricky Bobby: Moron dip{censored} dip{censored} moron dip{censored}. HA I WIN! PICKLES! :wave:

• Members

Whoa.

Whoa dude.

vlasic-stork.jpg

• Members

Except that it's not even really a 'discussion' at this point. It's so formulaic I could write a template on what comes next. It's like trying to argue contemporary philosophy with a chimpanzee.

OP: Substantive statement.

Other poster: Statement of refute

Next poster: Elaboration on and refutation of second poster

OP: Resolution.

Ricky Bobby: Moron dip{censored} dip{censored} moron dip{censored}. HA I WIN! PICKLES!
:wave:

Sure thing :lol:

So far, no one has agreed with you, and people have given you varying degrees of "You are wrong and here's why" but you won't listen :cop:

I just said it the most direct, and correct way. :D

Anyway, you're still a moron.

• Members

is that a lateral move in the gay world, or did you just wake up to an "omg what did I drink last night??" type of feeling?

Well..to my tastes he's pretty hot...but I have no clue who he was. After awkward confusion he got up..got dressed..took his Penta and left. I'll say that amp didn't suck half as hard as he did :lol:....:confused:..wait...:facepalm:

Archived