What direction for the WhiteBox Retro Series?

Seattle Doug

• Members

So, the Modern Series is going pretty well - thanks for all the support here - and I'm looking at the next Series. It will be a bit lower-priced than the Modern Series, probably a bit thinner plywood, lower weight, and won't have the convertible rear panels.

I'd like to gather some opinions:

Should I go Marshall/Bluesbreaker style with the split-baffle look and same handle as the current Modern Series?

or

Should I go more simple/Fender style with the all-cloth front and strap handles on the top?

or

Should I do neither of the above and add ported, vertical cabs, etc to the Modern Series? I'm thinking I should do this AFTER I do either of the aforementioned Retro Series.

• Members

So, the Modern Series is going pretty well - thanks for all the support here - and I'm looking at the next Series. It will be a bit lower-priced than the Modern Series, probably a bit thinner plywood, lower weight, and won't have the convertible rear panels.

I'd like to gather some opinions:

Should I go Marshall/Bluesbreaker style with the split-baffle look and same handle as the current Modern Series?

or

Should I go more simple/Fender style with the all-cloth front and strap handles on the top?

or

Should I do neither of the above and add ported, vertical cabs, etc to the Modern Series? I'm thinking I should do this AFTER I do either of the aforementioned Retro Series.

I Marshall/BB style cabs. If you made an alternative to the Bogner, with the internal batting and good bracing, you'd have a winner on your hands.

• Members

I would do the Marshall style as it's a fairly popular style and should sell assuming the cabs sounds good :p

I've always hated the "handle on the top" of the cab as I end up carrying them by the sides anyway. My mesa recto 2x12 is this way and I hate it. My weak ass can't lift that thing with one hand and carry it up and down stairs without bashing it against everything around including my legs/hips/ankles. I loved my framus 2x12 cuz it had the side handles(metal handles!!!).

If it were a smaller 1x12 or ported, it would be alright to put the handle on the top, but I'd always chose the side handles over top handle when given the option.

• Members

orange / matamp / electric styled cabs.

+1 for this!

I was never a big fan of the Fender styled cabs. If I have to choose from the list, then the BB style.

Also I don't like buying ported cabs because they are so picky on the speakers you use with them.

• Members

thanks for all the input here, peeps, as usual. I think perhaps the vert 2x12 in the Modern Series would be the way to go next, so I am looking at that.

regarding the Matamp/Orange notion, I view the Modern Series AS that style - or am I missing something there?

• Members
I like the idea of extending the modern series first, then doing the bluesbreaker-style cabs.

OR you could offer the 2061x-style "diagonal" 2x12 that's basically a short 4x12 with only two speakers.

This. Or the Peavey style 212 sounds kinda like the old Mesa 212 with an open top and closed bottom speaker. :thu:

Hey wait. How about a whole line of vert 212s. Modern, vintage 2061 style and a closed/open back mode. :eek::love::love::cool:

• Members
Make something like the old Peavey VTM vert 212. The speakers are each in basically their own sealed "box". The top one has a removable back, too. Incredibly flexible. Probably the only Peavey product I have ever recommended.

:love::love::love::love:

• Members
Make something like the old Peavey VTM vert 212. The speakers are each in basically their own sealed "box". The top one has a removable back, too. Incredibly flexible. Probably the only Peavey product I have ever recommended.

This sounds incredibly sexy.

Like, really sexy ;)

Archived