What direction for the WhiteBox Retro Series?

Seattle Doug

• Members

Also I don't like buying ported cabs because they are so picky on the speakers you use with them.

It's not the speakers fault! A well designed ported cab will make virtually ANY speaker sound great!

Anyways, I vote for the bluesbreaker style cab. It's pretty much garnered the quintessential vintage rock title at this point.

• Members

Good to see that the Modern series is working out for you.

At this point in time a vert 2x12 with a closed bottom & open top would probably be your best bet for a near-term.immediate expansion of the Modern series. Definitely a unique and demanded product.

You're definitely on the right track in holding off further expansion of the Modern series at this time. If you're seriously contemplating ported cabs then you will need adequate R&D time for product development. Ported cabs are picky and you will need to limit the selection of drivers for ported cabs in order to make sure you're offering the best tones. The Eminence speakers you offer might really come into their own with ported cabs.

Retro would be the way to go at the moment. The market is definitely into the tail end of demand for retro styled products but there are still plenty of sales to be made. from my POV the Fender style cabs are rather ubiquitous. They are also popular. If you are going to choose one style the Fender style would probably be your best bet. the Marshall style are not quite as common and offering these will get you in front of of a more selective market. For this to really work well for you, you will probably need to offer these cabs covered with a wider choice of Tolex colors and 2-tone will be popular. You will need to offer Marshall-esque grill cloth. The op handle would probably work for 1x12 cabs but for 2x12 cabs you might want consider also adding the recessed steel handles on the sides.

As a personal opinion I would offer both retro styles. Later on down the line I would also offer an expanded retro line having cabs with more of an "art moderne" style. I would probably offer these on more of a custom cab basis. I don't know if you're doing the basic machine type woodworking or if you're equipped with CNC machines. If the former then I would push production of these custom type cabs further into the future. If CNC I would probably start playing with the programming now. The trick for these types of cabs will in the baffle/grill design. The challenge is often in how to cover these designs with Tolex. This might a place where you could consider the use of DurTex or similar coating rather than using Tolex. the initial cost of material may be higher but by the time you figure in how much is saved in both labor and waste the DuraTex or similar coating becomes the more economical choice. the only questin is how the market would receive such a coating. It looks great and holds up well on PA cabs but might not be so aesthetically pleasing to musicians.

Also, if you are CNC based it might be worth offering to supply cabs or cabs & speakers to various amp makers. A small market that would require extra work to develop to be sure but, one that could ultimately be a profit center.

• Members

I'd be totally down for a white box cab if they were more like 30x30x14 (inches) or a bit bigger. I just can't get with the slightly smaller dimensions all around.

Really? I can imagine the width increasing a couple inches in a new version but 30" tall is extreme, isn't it?

• Members

Good to see that the Modern series is working out for you.

At this point in time a vert 2x12 with a closed bottom & open top would probably be your best bet for a near-term.immediate expansion of the Modern series. Definitely a unique and demanded product.

You're definitely on the right track in holding off further expansion of the Modern series at this time. If you're seriously contemplating ported cabs then you will need adequate R&D time for product development. Ported cabs are picky and you will need to limit the selection of drivers for ported cabs in order to make sure you're offering the best tones. The Eminence speakers you offer might really come into their own with ported cabs.

Retro would be the way to go at the moment. The market is definitely into the tail end of demand for retro styled products but there are still plenty of sales to be made. from my POV the Fender style cabs are rather ubiquitous. They are also popular. If you are going to choose one style the Fender style would probably be your best bet. the Marshall style are not quite as common and offering these will get you in front of of a more selective market. For this to really work well for you, you will probably need to offer these cabs covered with a wider choice of Tolex colors and 2-tone will be popular. You will need to offer Marshall-esque grill cloth. The op handle would probably work for 1x12 cabs but for 2x12 cabs you might want consider also adding the recessed steel handles on the sides.

As a personal opinion I would offer both retro styles. Later on down the line I would also offer an expanded retro line having cabs with more of an "art moderne" style. I would probably offer these on more of a custom cab basis. I don't know if you're doing the basic machine type woodworking or if you're equipped with CNC machines. If the former then I would push production of these custom type cabs further into the future. If CNC I would probably start playing with the programming now. The trick for these types of cabs will in the baffle/grill design. The challenge is often in how to cover these designs with Tolex. This might a place where you could consider the use of DurTex or similar coating rather than using Tolex. the initial cost of material may be higher but by the time you figure in how much is saved in both labor and waste the DuraTex or similar coating becomes the more economical choice. the only questin is how the market would receive such a coating. It looks great and holds up well on PA cabs but might not be so aesthetically pleasing to musicians.

Also, if you are CNC based it might be worth offering to supply cabs or cabs & speakers to various amp makers. A small market that would require extra work to develop to be sure but, one that could ultimately be a profit center.

Ok, thanks very much for this input - yes, we use CNC for the baffles and some other parts and have traditional saws as well.

• Members

• Members
Wait - I'm a dumba$$. We are talking about 4x12 and I am posting about 2x12? Sorry.

:D

lollerskates.

Everybody was confused, I think

I'm seriously considering just waiting longer and getting another whitebox 4x12 instead of ordering a 2x12 :D

I'll probably get a 2x12...3/4 stack ftw.

• Members

Slightly off topic but somewhat related to product development at WhiteBox Eng. Possible WhiteBox ISO Cab? Your choice of Tolex, Speaker, one mic or two mic holders, wheels. I know their are other solutions but an ISO box is of great interest to me being a condo dweller and wanting to migrate away from direct recording with my vox tonelabs. (Really would like to use my JCA50 + ISO).

• Members
I'm pretty sure Doug is trying to have as few conflicts of interest as possible
:thu:

I had originally thought that - but also having 112, 212s and 412s I was not sure how much of a conflict this would be. Certainly a fair observation as an ISO is more of a niche product. I am tracking the arrival of his other company's ISO into the USA. :)

• Members

Wait - I'm a dumba$$. We are talking about 4x12 and I am posting about 2x12? Sorry.

Yeah, I was talking about 4x12's. I don't doubt the quality of the build, but I just know that I'd always be thinking, "man this would sound huge if it was the full marshall or mesa size 4x12"...Regardless of how huge the cabs sound at their current size.

Also in the looks dept., for larger amp heads, it looks funny/goofy to have a head hanging over the edges of the cab (IMHO).

My cabs now are 29x19x15 and the depth is perfect, but I wish they were at least 30x30.

• Members
I had originally thought that - but also having 112, 212s and 412s I was not sure how much of a conflict this would be. Certainly a fair observation as an ISO is more of a niche product. I am tracking the arrival of his other company's ISO into the USA.
:)

Yeah, I am thinking about this. No, I don't think it's SO much of a conflict, as long as the WBE is as different from the JCA as the current 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 are from the JCA range.

And, I think the Eminence FDM in an ISO would be stellar. So yeah, I am cooking a few things...

• Members
Yeah, I was talking about 4x12's. I don't doubt the quality of the build, but I just know that I'd always be thinking, "man this would sound huge if it was the full marshall or mesa size 4x12"...Regardless of how huge the cabs sound at their current size.

Also in the looks dept., for larger amp heads, it looks funny/goofy to have a head hanging over the edges of the cab (IMHO).

My cabs now are 29x19x15 and the depth is perfect, but I wish they were at least 30x30.

right... I am smelling what you're cooking now. I wasn't even in the kitchen before. Maybe if I go for the BB style, I could put a 4x12 in the same series, and make it 30x30. :idea:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived