So I'm not loving the Swamp Thang...

zeusecho

• Members

I put a Swamp Thang (in place of a G12H30 to increase cab wattage) in the Wite Box 2x12 with the Hella V30 and did not like the results at all.

So I disconnected the V30 to hear just the Swamp Thang and it sounds muddy, undefined and lacks character. It's like all lows, low mids and fizz with a blanket on it.

I know the Swamp Thang is not broken in but I just don't see any amount break in changing the tone enough to make me like it. Will a proper break in period really change the speaker allot or will it have the same general characteristics with less fizz?

Then I put the G12H30 back in and listened to just that speaker alone without the V30 and didn

• Members

You need to be running a VERY bright amp to get the most out of swamp thangs, IMO. I tried one in a 112, and it was SOOO dark. Wasnt a big fan of it. If you wanna stick with eminence, I LOVE the legends. K100s are amazing, too, if you can find a 16 ohm one....you can also look around for old k85s...same speaker, different name.

• Members

I don't want to stick with Eminence it was just suggested by a few here so I thought I would try it. The two Eminence speakers I've tried so far, the Swamp Thang the "whatever" that came in the Switchblade have both been somewhat muddy and dark. Think I'll stick with Celestions. :thu:

• Members

The Swamp Thing is basically one of the darkest most low-end heavy speakers on the planet. What did you expect?

I guess I didn't know it was the darkest most low end heavy speaker on the planet. :facepalm:

No big deal the fun is in experimentation to find the tone. :thu:

I just didn't think good low end and dark had to = muddy/no character. ;)

• Members

Also, I should qualify by saying that I {censored}ing hate V30s with a fiery, religious, rage filled {censored}ing passion. So, if you like V30s...maybe dont listen to me on speaker recommendations lol.

Yeah V30s seem to evoke a love/hate relationship. I love your tone in your vids though so I feel like I should consider your opinion for sure.

• Members

Lol - "My swamp thang speakers are sounding all muddy and I'm just not sure why...."

rbasaria, what do you go for over the V30s?

Im pretty much set with my eminence legend M12s. I havent found anything that I like as much as them. I do really like celestion g12k100s, though.

• Members

When i had my buzzbomb with swampthangs i had to turn my bass on my savage almost off because of the lowend those speakers put out it was crazy. I like my vader cab that had legends in there which sounded good. I love v30's with my 6505 and just got a quad of Hellatone 60L's if you like v30's these are even better. I had G12k-100s mixed with v30's before and the v30's seemed to overpower the k-100's i didnt care for the mix but by themselves they where ok though it just that mid spike of the v30's seem's to dominate anything you mix with them.

• Members

When i had my buzzbomb with swampthangs i had to turn my bass on my savage almost off because of the lowend those speakers put out it was crazy. I like my vader cab that had legends in there which sounded good. I love v30's with my 6505 and just got a quad of Hellatone 60L's if you like v30's these are even better. I had G12k-100s mixed with v30's before and the v30's seemed to overpower the k-100's i didnt care for the mix but by themselves they where ok though it just that mid spike of the v30's seem's to dominate anything you mix with them.

Thanks man. Yeah the V30 I have is a Hella and I'd like to try a 60L but Avatar discontinued them.

• Members

I know the Swamp Thang is not broken in but I just don't see any amount break in changing the tone enough to make me like it. Will a proper break in period really change the speaker allot or will it have the same general characteristics with less fizz

New speakers always have fizz until they break in, how long have you played thru them and how loud?

Swamp Thangs are really dark speakers, but arent at all undefined, they are really chunky sounding. Did you re-eq or just leave it the same as you do for v30s?

• Members

Thanks man. Yeah the V30 I have is a Hella and I'd like to try a 60L but Avatar discontinued them.

I just bought a new quad on RigTalk for $250 shipped and saw someone selling another pair for like $100 shipped i think. They pop up on Ebay once and awhile. Never mind there sold on RigTalk. They dont have that mid spike as a typical v30 which was the first thing i noticed with a tad more bass just a smoother sounding v30.

• Members

I just bought a new quad on RigTalk for $250 shipped and saw someone selling another pair for like $100 shipped i think. They pop up on Ebay once and awhile. Never mind there sold on RigTalk. They dont have that mid spike as a typical v30 which was the first thing i noticed with a tad more bass just a smoother sounding v30.

Thanks man I'll keep an eye out for one. :thu:

• Members

I listened to some utube vids that compare V30's to texas heats and private jacks. Both Eminence
sounded like a blanket was over the cab
. Maybe for a super bright amp like a QR but otherwise I don't think so. The legends seem popular but I never heard em.

This is exactly what it sounded like to me, at least with my setup.

Archived