Y'know what? 9-46 *is* the perfect gauge for lead guitar in E standard --

draelyc

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I keep one Tele strung-up with 9-46, you get that classic "snap" out of that gauge.

The rest of my regular electrics are strung with 11-52 and have been for over 20 years. I learned on a 1936 Epiphone with strings as thick as toothpicks, so heavier strings have always suited me better, and they sounded better to my ear. When I was in HS I used thick & thins, or heavy bottom, light tops. Gauges are personal pref as far as I'm concerned and there are plenty of examples of players with superior tone in all classes.

• Members

I actually don't feel enough difference between a Strat scale and an LP scale to justify going to a heavier gauge. :idk:

But I actually agree with y'all that the choice here is all about feel, rathr than tone, per se. I just don't like the feeling of having to fight the guitar -- I like the feeling of flexible strings & easy bends. :D

• Members

^^^ Dig.

Now, I am jumping up to a slightly higher gauge for my acoustic strings -- I found out that DR will sell me a customized set of strings for pretty much the same price as one of their regular sets, so I ordered several packs of Sunbeams gauged 12-56: the treble strings from a pack of 12s + the bass strings from a pack of 13s. Kinda like an acoustic version of the hybrid 9-46 set, ya?

I think bigger stringmake more of a difference on an acoustic than an electric, anyway... :idk:

• Members

+1

I've stuck with that gauge for yeeeears now.

BTW, does anyone under 35 still tune to a standard "E" tuning....or is it reserved for us dinosours?
:idk:

I have 2 guitars in E, with 9-46s actually, and I'm still barely under 35. Been using that gauge for 15 years or so. :lol:

• Members

I like the 10-48 set myself. The 9-46s are too thin, IMHO. and for the record, I play Thrash on a Gibby LPC. I need the low E to have some girth to work with the fast palm mutes. It needs to fight back. I always used to play 10-52s, but I like to use a really wide vibrato for the pinch harmonics I employ.

• Members

Effortless feel is better, i got in that trap of you need thicker strings to sound heavy and you not what? It just ain't true. Bending on 11-52's is horrible.

My guitars are mostly 11-52 and the feel and bending is effortless for me. I have big hands, so not only do I use a heavier gauge set, I assemble my guitars with wider nuts, bigger frets and vintage-spaced bridges (wider). I'm just more comfortable with a bigger neck and bigger strings. Without them, I tend to play a little sharp because of my heavy-handedness.

• Members

I'm sure that guys who use thick picks are gonna need heavier strings - or guys who play really aggressive. Guys with finesse can get away with the lighter strings. Light string users include EVH and Dimebag Darrell and Yngwie Malmsteen. All monster players with great tone for what they do. Also, all finesse players.

Archived