For all you compute nerds: Stolen computer = Pwned by hacker owner

MattACaster

• Members

My computer is programmed to email me its IP address every day at a certain time to my "important stuff only" email addy. There are VERY few instances where I would not be able to remote into said computer or at the very least locate it with this information. So if it were every stolen, basically the minute it was plugged in, I'd get an email.

• Members

My computer is programmed to email me its IP address every day at a certain time to my "important stuff only" email addy. There are VERY few instances where I would not be able to remote into said computer or at the very least locate it with this information. So if it were every stolen, basically the minute it was plugged in, I'd get an email.

I actually use a DNS updater on mine, so pretty much the same idea assuming someone doesn't know about it. Although it's not too obvious as it doesn't sit in the system tray or anything.

• Members

I actually use a DNS updater on mine, so pretty much the same idea assuming someone doesn't know about it. Although it's not too obvious as it doesn't sit in the system tray or anything.

Yeah, it would be very VERY difficult for anyone to find the rule that is embedded in the registry telling my computer to do as much. Unless they were specifically looking for it.

• Members

Man, that was funny. But, I have no clue about how you can log into your computer remotely like that. Cool stuff.

It's pretty simple. There are free programs like UltraVNC or RealVNC that can do it. Or if you are a Windows Pro user you can use Remote Desktop.

• Members

You're assuming that they wouldn't be behind a router, which almost everyone is. In that case you would need to forward the routers remote desktop port which most likely isn't going to be possible without physical access to reset the router's password. With the IP the closest location info you can get is city BTW.

Also, if I were to steal a computer I would format it without ever booting it in the first place.

• Members

You're assuming that they wouldn't be behind a router, which almost everyone is. In that case you would need to forward the routers remote desktop port which most likely isn't going to be possible without physical access to reset the router's password. With the IP the closest location info you can get is city BTW.

Also, if I were to steal a computer I would format it without ever booting it in the first place.

You assume so much in regards to the brain power of would-be thieves. Also Remote Desktop is for noobs.

• Members

You assume so much in regards to the brain power of would-be thieves. Also Remote Desktop is for noobs.

It doesn't matter how you get in. You can't access the ports behind a router unless they are forwarded. Just saying...remoting to your computer in any way is going to be impossible 95% of the time.

• Members

I still don't understand how you are going to do this. The computer's ports won't be exposed on the outside.

This. If ports aren't listening for incoming connections and forwarding them to the right machine, then the router drops the connection.

• Members

So what you're telling me is that no one has ever been able to get around a firewall ever in the history of networks?

Like I said...if you don't have the router's password then you're going to have to have physical access. I'm just telling you the truth here, man. I used to break into networks for fun using an installation of Backtrack. Yes I'm a dork. Remotely hacking modern routers is not easy. No need to argue. I'm simply stating that you might want to rethink your plan. If you want to remote then your best bet is to set up your remote server on a commonly forwarded port, but that still is a gamble at best.

Archived