fender guys HALP....possible score!

NixerX

• Members

So my pops calls me to tell me that he has acquired a fender Princeton amp. Since he don't play he asked if I wanted it. I asked if it had tubes and it does so I say {censored} yea.

Here is where you come in. I never owned a fender so isk {censored} about them...tell me what you can from this info:

Is blackface

Has tremolo

Has an olson electric loudspeaker, unsure of size.

Bestow upon me ur brainz :thu:

• Members

j- go get it.

plug it in-- put your guitar with the lowest gain pickups through it, roll the volume back to 0- turn it ALL the way up, and roll up your volume.

if SOMEWHERE along the throw of the volume knob you don't burst into tears with joy, either IT is broken, or your ears are :D

dunno what an 'olsen' speaker is-- but find yourself a decent jensen 10, and that thing could cover your clean tones forever, and your kerrang midgainers as well... man would i love to have one of those!

• Members

j- go get it.

plug it in-- put your guitar with the lowest gain pickups through it, roll the volume back to 0- turn it ALL the way up, and roll up your volume.

if SOMEWHERE along the throw of the volume knob you don't burst into tears with joy, either IT is broken, or your ears are
:D

dunno what an 'olsen' speaker is-- but find yourself a decent jensen 10, and that thing could cover your clean tones forever, and your kerrang midgainers as well... man would i love to have one of those!

Hey NH! Judging by the videos Ive just watched that little bugger seems like the PERFECT amp for a jazz / fusion combo group. Ive been thinking on getting one together once the wife and I move out to Oregon in a few years. Its pretty cool because the tones im hearing are exactly the clean tones I try to dial in on any amp m/

The back story is the previous owner (Jeff was his name) Died of thread cancer (RIP). my dad and his lady are neighbors with this woman, they were helping jeff's wife part with some things of his. Dad said he saw her putting this thing out on the curb for trash day :eek:. Dad scooped it up saying that He knew someone that would appreciate the amp if it were alright with her. She said that was a MUCH better fate because she knew her husband loved that amp..she just didn't know what else to do with it or even how to use it enough to sell it. Poor lady.

Not to be a greedy ungrateful chump but I had to ask my pops...if he had an amp he must have had a guitar to plug into it. dad said he would inquire about a guitar. I mean its not right to let a potential 60's fender rot away is it?!

• Members

Hey NH! Judging by the videos Ive just watched that little bugger seems like the PERFECT amp for a jazz / fusion combo group. Ive been thinking on getting one together once the wife and I move out to Oregon in a few years. Its pretty cool because the tones im hearing are exactly the clean tones I try to dial in on any amp m/

The back story is the previous owner (Jeff was his name) Died of thread cancer (RIP). my dad and his lady are neighbors with this woman, they were helping jeff's wife part with some things of his. Dad said he saw her putting this thing out on the curb for trash day
:eek:
. Dad scooped it up saying that He knew someone that would appreciate the amp if it were alright with her. She said that was a MUCH better fate because she knew her husband loved that amp..she just didn't know what else to do with it or even how to use it enough to sell it. Poor lady.

Not to be a greedy ungrateful chump but I had to ask my pops...if he had an amp he must have had a guitar to plug into it. dad said he would inquire about a guitar. I mean its not right to let a potential 60's fender rot away is it?!

aw MAN-- SO glad it didn't end up at the dump! What a bummer of a way to get an amp-- but i'm sure that the guy who owned it would MUCH rather see you with it than know it went to waste.

Glad you can give it a second life-- have a tech give it a going over when you get it-- it may need a little love in the cap section, for sure.. but i suspect it'll be a seriously awesome recording amp. 12 watts is pretty much perfect for some mean rock tones too if you dump the bass on it. nothin beats an amp that does nuttin' :D

FINALLY got the soil tests back, and planting up starts in the next week or so! woot! i'm still sore from busting up rye this season... but definitely got my organic material numbers up! freakin' unbelievable too-- all i needed to add was boron and a pound of sul-po-mag to the ENTIRE garden ?! heyull yeah..

• Members

aw MAN-- SO glad it didn't end up at the dump! What a bummer of a way to get an amp-- but i'm sure that the guy who owned it would MUCH rather see you with it than know it went to waste.

Glad you can give it a second life-- have a tech give it a going over when you get it-- it may need a little love in the cap section, for sure.. but i suspect it'll be a seriously awesome recording amp. 12 watts is pretty much perfect for some mean rock tones too if you dump the bass on it. nothin beats an amp that does nuttin'
:D

FINALLY got the soil tests back, and planting up starts in the next week or so! woot! i'm still sore from busting up rye this season... but definitely got my organic material numbers up! freakin' unbelievable too-- all i needed to add was boron and a pound of sul-po-mag to the ENTIRE garden ?! heyull yeah..

Dude thats great!! FINALLY! its only been a couple years of work! That is great! I know that to be certified organic up here its not easy. MOFGA is pretty stringent and rightly too I might add. You know how I feel about GMO and Organic. Im rank hippy in that regard!

Im stoked! Here are some cell photos!

174362829_photobucket_61722_.jpg

174362829_photobucket_61721_.jpg

174362829_photobucket_61723_.jpg

174362829_photobucket_61724_.jpg

174362829_photobucket_61725_.jpg

• Members

Holy {censored}

she was going to dump it??? So sorry for her loss, and glad to hear it's going to a good home. Keep it forever. It may not be exactly what you need right now, but I guarantee you at one point in your life you will be DROOOOOLING over the tone it produces. One of the best managable Fender combos from that era. Just loud enough, just the right breakup, just enough clean to record with, and the overdriven tones will make a grown man blush.

Congrats!

• Members

DAMN.. that's NICE!

while diggin' around looking for 'olsen speaker' i found this, which i'll repost:

"If memory serves, Olson was a electronic catalogue house rather than a speaker manufacturer. So somebody else made it and Olson just put their name on it.

If you look around the speaker rim or on the back of the cone you may see some numbers like "67-6628" or "220-6734". These are codes from the actual maker. The first would mean "67" for Eminence and "6628" would mean it was made in 1966 during the 28th week. The second would mean Jensen, 34th week of 1967.

You can look up speaker mfg codes at http://www.webervst.com or if you find some on the speakers just check back here and I'll look 'em up for you.

What the heck, I'm sure Ted Weber won't mind if I steal his copy!:tongue: I'll just paste it here for everyone!

24 Becker 277 Emerson 748 Russell

67 Eminence 280 Raytheon 756 Universal

101 Admiral 285 ROLA 767 Quincy

119 Automatic Manufacturing 286 Ross 787 Sonatone

125 Bendix 296 Solar 789 McGregor

130 Matsu{censored}a 308 Stromberg 794 Harman Kardon

130 Panasonic 328 Utah 795 Atlas

137 C.T.S. 336 Western Electric 828 Midland

145 Cinaudagraph 343 Zenith 840 Ampex

145 Consolidated 371 Best 847 University

150 Crescent 391 Altec Lansing 918 Oaktron

169 Hitachi 416 Heath 1056 Fisher

185 Motorola 433 Cleveland 1059 Channel

188 General Electric 449 Wilder 1098 Pyle

220 Jensen 465 Oxford 1113 Acoustic Fiber Sounde

232 Magnavox 466 Delco 1149 Curtis Mathes

240 JW Davis 549 Midwest 1191 Micro Magnet

245 National 575 Heppner 1279 WeberVST

252 Operadio 589 Bogen

252 Dukane 649 Electro-Voice

260 Philco 706 Pioneer

270 Quam-Nichols 719 Carbonneau

274 RCA 742 Esquire

277 Radio Speaker

These numerical prefixes are called EIA codes, from "Electronic Industries Association". Pretty well all parts had such codes. They are a great tool to figure out which company made that great output transformer in your 1964 BF Twin Reverb or whatever. The last part of the number helps to date your amp. If the vol/tone controls have a code telling you they were made by CTS in the 30th week of 1962 you can bet that your amp was build within a few weeks of that point. Manufacturers can never afford to let parts inventory get old when they have to pay the bill within 30 days. So those pots came in the Fender door and likely were put into an amp very quickly. The sooner the amp was shipped to a dealer the faster Leo received his money so he could pay the bills and feed his kids with what was left over."

hopefully you can figure out what an olson ACTUALLY is :D

argh.. i'm envious :D

• Members

Yeah. That's exactly like mine. Get a reverb pedal and you're golden for the Fender sound at a low volume.

Ill probably plug into it more than my axefx from what everyone here is saying!!

Archived