SO - Digitech is making a move on Line 6 Pod HD's crown?

satannica

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Still... a product like this can hopefully generate interest in developing similar products but with much better success and with much less of the initial children's diseases and shortcomings. I don't understand why so many folks tend to regard this product as a personal insult, it's not like anyone's forcing you to buy this thing if you don't like it so what's the harm of such product existing? Why not just view it as another effect that some folks may actually find use to, and even more likely wil inspire to advance the guitar effect technology in general with a different type of approach to user GUI's and operating systems. Maybe next versions or inspired units introduced by different companies are indeed wireless, as well as compatible with more things than just certain Apple products.

I think this put it the best so far. We are just trying to push things further. Not sure why all the iPad hate is out there, to each his own. I can tell you whether you like it or not it is turning up on more tours and in more studio's than you think. More and more music directors/producers and musicians are using the iPad as their go to device.

Let me also remind everyone, the iPad is not simply a editor for the iPB-10. The iPB-10 streams audio so you can record directly to any recording software within the iPad. Another thing, this compares nothing to our current X editor in regard to visuals, the look of the new software is really fantastic.

• Members

I was looking at that the other day, and the list of amps is pretty much identical to their other multi-effects modelers.. They would have to re-engineer their modeling technology to shoot for the POD-HD.. Not that their models are bad, but it could be improved..

• Members

We redid our amp models with the release of the GSP1101, then we added those new models into the "55" series (RP155,255,355) and the RP500 and RP1000 all with our new High Definition Point to Point modeling. This was almost two years before Line 6 redid theres to catch up to what we did. I put our modeling up to anything currently on the market within the same price points. You call up the Fender Deluxe within a RP1000 or GSP1101 hooked up with the 4 Cable Method coupled with a nice tube amp (I have a DR Z MAZ 18), then add just a touch of plate reverb.......

• Members

I think this put it the best so far. We are just trying to push things further. Not sure why all the iPad hate is out there, to each his own. I can tell you whether you like it or not it is turning up on more tours and in more studio's than you think. More and more music directors/producers and musicians are using the iPad as their go to device.

Let me also remind everyone, the iPad is not simply a editor for the iPB-10. The iPB-10 streams audio so you can record directly to any recording software within the iPad. Another thing, this compares nothing to our current X editor in regard to visuals, the look of the new software is really fantastic.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNND I'm out!

• Members

We redid our amp models with the release of the GSP1101, then we added those new models into the "55" series (RP155,255,355) and the RP500 and RP1000 all with our new High Definition Point to Point modeling. This was almost two years before Line 6 redid theres to catch up to what we did. I put our modeling up to anything currently on the market within the same price points. You call up the Fender Deluxe within a RP1000 or GSP1101 hooked up with the 4 Cable Method coupled with a nice tube amp (I have a DR Z MAZ 18), then add just a touch of plate reverb.......

With all due respect, if you ever tried the GSP1101 (with beta) or any latest RP series next to a Pod HD, ElevenRack or the Axe-FX.. its not even close.

And believe me, theres nothing i'd love more than an updated GSP1101, but the modelling is just so far behind the other products, it makes it hard to accept. These amp models are incredibly out-of-date, I dont see how anyone whos unbiased could argue that fact.

• Members

With all due respect, if you ever tried the GSP1101 (with beta) or any latest RP series next to a Pod HD, ElevenRack or the Axe-FX.. its not even close.

And believe me, theres nothing i'd love more than an updated GSP1101, but the modelling is just so far behind the other products, it makes it hard to accept. These amp models are incredibly out-of-date, I dont see how anyone whos unbiased could argue that fact.

The dude from Digitech's quote is fairly accurate. You didn't see the words "price point" maybe? This reaction is exactly what cracks me up about modeling guys so much. I love the modeling user group fights!! LULZ .

My $2000 modeler is better than your $400 product that almost sounds as good (to thousands of other users)...... at $1600 more don't you think it should?

• Members

Forget respect, the best mesa mark clip was raceu4her disposable heroes which he deleted...(damn). Guitarbilly74 enjoyed the GSP1101 more than the axe-fx on high gain models. Even VH4 (duesentrieb, krampe amplification) used an axe-fx and a GSP 1101 as a cab simulator on a couple of videos for his black tiger preamp. Guess what the GSP 1101 sounded miles better. Does that mean it is "better"? Nope these are just three examples that sometimes as with real amps you just hit the right keys and produce great results. Several examples can be made with pods, 11R and the axe-fx as products. Sometimes they do nail what they do.

What I am shouting about all the time is that people shouldn't be treating modellers like pcs and graphic cards. It is not a technology race, it is not counted by mhz.

Sound is sound. A good pair of electrostatic speakers from 1970 or 1980 or whatever are still as hi-fi as any speaker of today. And guitar sound isn't even hi-fi!!!

In any generation of modellers, programmers with good ears and even cooler hardware each time manage to make the whole package better. Better effects. Better converters. Better analog stages, something that it is way overlooked. You are not hearing digital airwaves, the signal is in fact an analog signal on the end of a digital preamp. Better algorithms. Of course the better the hardware the more complex the algorithm.

But it will boil down to taste.

I don't pretend to be unbiased but I don't think GSP 1101 is outdated, just in tune with the modellers of its era as a package. And no the axe-fx isn't exactly there with real amps nor does it contain the whole package. Even the cliff dude who is the mind behind it states he includes some more component modelling on the II which...was never there on axe-fx I.

What hardware modellers can't do is offer what the pc software modellers can. Almost studio grade effects and whole chains with dual rigs, 3-d mic placements and several complex chains. WIth a VST host I can dual rig an amp model from revalver and one from LePou for example. It is in a sense physically impossible: requires more processing power and a damn screen. Hell, even the axe-fx and GSP 1101 couldn't use high quality I.Rs properly on a gig for example.

• Members

The dude from Digitech's quote is fairly accurate. You didn't see the words "price point" maybe? This reaction is exactly what cracks me up about modeling guys so much. I love the modeling user group fights!! LULZ .

My $2000 modeler is better than your $400 product that almost sounds as good (to thousands of other users)...... at $1600 more don't you think it should?

Pod HD500 = same pricepoint (when you talk about HD300, its even WAY less!) and significantly.. SIGNIFICANTLY better amp modelling.

(Coming from someone whos owned and gigged with both, and currently only has the Digitech RP right now.. I almost can't live without the HD500's amp sims, I dont know if I can last with just a digitech until I get the Axe-FX, might have to pick up a HD300 in the meanwhile.)

• Members

I have NO idea what kinda crack they we're smoking when coming up with this, and I like Digitech.

Why can't they make a bigger, badder GSP1101? The existing one with the Beta firmware is an amazing unit, that tops Line 6 or anything else in that price range. Only thing better, really is the Axe FX, and the 11 Rack.

They should iron out and tweak the current Beta firmware into something official, and than build an even more badass unit from there.

This................................it's what we 1101 users are hoping for.

• Members

So many cool things you can do with an ipad, but I find when it comes to guitar it falls short in many ways.

But controlling mixers (presonus studio live series) remotely?

Controlling your DAW wireless?

Pluging it into a keyboard (synths on the ipad don't sound that terrible IMO)

Keeping in mind that the android can't do any of this {censored} because it doesn't report latency (or some {censored} like that) so android is good for {censored} all when it comes to music apps, if that's important to anyone.

But I have to agree, the price point for this thing is NTY.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

(...) Another thing, this compares nothing to our current X editor in regard to visuals, the look of the new software is really fantastic.

I have been using my IPB-10 for a week now and I second that.

PS: I also own an 11R.

• Members

So how does the iPB-10 sound?

I've read that it's supposed to sound like the RP500/RP1000 (which, IMO, are two steps behind the Eleven Rack soundwise), but it's to soon for me to draw a conclusion. I'm not a big fan of Digitech products (for some reason, I always ended up selling every piece of Digitech gear I once owned), but at this moment all I can say is that the more I use the iPB-10 the more I like it. And it's really VERY easy to use; I'd never come across a piece of gear that was so easy to operate.

BTW, I've found this nice iPB-10 review (though it doesn't give much information about its sonic quality):

http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/community/entries/198-DIGITECH-iPB-10-PROGRAMMABLE-PEDALBOARD-REVIEW

Archived