6505+ vs. 5150 III

mhenson42

• Members

5150 III is a better amp IMO.

5150 III has more live options, is easier to dial/mic and has more warmth while still being aggressive.

Ironically, I have an orig 5150 so you can tell I am not being biased. I swapped mine for a Splawn QR. I loved the Splawn but was hankering for the fidy III back.

Check my sig for 5150 III ryth tone.

• Members

Yeah. I'm going up to Austin today to check out the 5153 again. I can get it at a great price. I played a 5150 II at Sam Ash the other day and liked it alot. So now I'm torn. I can get a new 6505+ for several hundred less than the 5153 and wait till the 50W 5153 comes out to buy one of those if I want.

• Members

I sold my 6505+ once I got my 5150 III. It's all subjective to each player, but EVERYTHING about the 5150 III's tones I like better than the 6505+...And I LOOOOOVED my 6505+. For the way I play, the 5150 III gives me more of the sound I hear in my head than the 6505+ did, but they do sound similar. For me the 5150 III is just better defined, thicker overall and had more punch and doesn't have as much of the fizz/fuzz on the high end that the 6505+ does. IMO the 5150 III is a bit darker overall, but for me sounds just as aggressive (if not more so with my picking style or "finger tone"). The knobs have a wider, more noticeable sweep so you can get a wider variety of sounds out of any of the channels, the clean channel is killer, and the crunch channel is no slouch, either. All 3 of the channels are quite usable. I first played it through the matching EVH cab and I dug it, but plugging it into my Vintage 30 cabs sealed the deal. If you know the 6505+ tone through Vintage 30's make sure you play the 5150 III through Vintage 30's to make the most accurate assessment.

I made this video after I got the amp. Most of it focuses on more clean tones, since I hadn't seen much about those. Starting around the 6:30-7 minute mark, it's more of the high gain stuff. When I play the black Viper, it's all channel 3...

FAPCKY17CZw

• Members

I am now in the market for a new amp after my 5150II of 10 years was stolen last month from me and it still haven't been found. So I really wanting to check out the 5153 but how are they for some good old fashion blues rock to Sludge? I play a lot Southern style sludge.

• Members

I am now in the market for a new amp after my 5150II of 10 years was stolen last month from me and it still haven't been found. So I really wanting to check out the 5153 but how are they for some good old fashion blues rock to Sludge? I play a lot Southern style sludge.

Its one of the most versatile amps Ive played...I think itll do pretty much anything.

• Members

Love both, 5150 III is better, imo.

The EVH has a real clean channel, and it's smoother/warmer/more balanced and just as mean, imo.

I love the 5150 sound and it's great that there are multiple flavors of it to choose from, not to mention the 50w 5153 that should be coming out soon.

• Members

but does it come in white tolex? ;)

actually, forgot to mention this in the other thread, but a long time ago some navy douche with money had bought a 5150 full stack but only played jack johnson covers on acoustic. he wanted to sell the whole thing to me for $400 :eek: but i would have ha to go to FL and fuck that state. CSB.

• Members

but does it come in white tolex?
;)

actually, forgot to mention this in the other thread, but a long time ago some navy douche with money had bought a 5150 full stack but only played jack johnson covers on acoustic. he wanted to sell the whole thing to me for $400
:eek:
but i would have ha to go to FL and fuck that state. CSB.

I could have had white, but that's not my style. This one was untouched in the box, while the white one has been on the floor for a few years. I opted out of getting the cab, but I may go back for it. It sounds real good with my Mills though.

Channel 3 has way too much gain. I have it at 9:00. Anymore and it gets too compressed.....which is where I can see why people say it's the poor man's Herbert. It's not nearly as compressed as the Herbert though.

• Members

I could have had white, but that's not my style. This one was untouched in the box, while the white one has been on the floor for a few years. I opted out of getting the cab, but I may go back for it. It sounds real good with my Mills though.

Channel 3 has way too much gain. I have it at 9:00. Anymore and it gets too compressed.....which is where I can see why people say it's the poor man's Herbert. It's not nearly as compressed as the Herbert though.

Now all you need to do is dump that dark, muffled-Mills... get a nice Marshall/Bogner 4X12 and some Greenbacks... you can thank me later. ;):D

• Members

Now all you need to do is dump that dark, muffled-Mills... get a nice Marshall/Bogner 4X12 and some Greenbacks... you can thank me later.
;):D

Like one of these.....

4df238d0.jpg

My new Scumback built cab 1969 spec cab with 65W M75s. The Mills with the Scumback H75LHDC/H55s already won. I sold the M75s yesterday already and will sell the unloaded cab for pure profit. :lol:

I do admit that I would like a normal sized cab because I like the tonal differences, but I love the Mills. I may sell one just for space to add a Splawn cab and maybe an EVH and a Cameron cab (if I ever get that amp :facepalm:).

When I demo'd the EVH I played it through the EVH cab and a Bogner v30 cab. The EVH cab sounded alot better to me. I imagine the Bogner cab with better speakers would be as good, but that EVH cab is pretty killer.

• Members

The SC250 is a great guitar... I was up to 4 of them at one point. If I wasn't playing Gibson Reissue LPs, I'd still be hooked on the SC250.

Both 5150III and QR are on my short list... Not sure which to get first though. I've heard lots of good comments about the matching 5150III cab too. If you get the chance, try to find out if the whole cab is all birch plywood, including the back panel. I could never get a straight answer. I'd probably grab on if there is no MDF in it.

Oh... And dibs on the 5150III... Before you list it, hit me up ;). Seriously.

Archived