6505+ vs. 5150 III

mhenson42

• Members

If you get the chance, try to find out if the whole cab is all birch plywood, including the back panel. I could never get a straight answer. I'd probably grab on if there is no MDF in it.

Lmfao, wow. Because what it sounds like doesnt matter right? God forbid there's a trace of MDF though :facepalm::lol:

• Members

I love the 5153 hated the original 5150 and its variants.

To me they always sound congested and sterile, where as the 5153 seemed to breathe a bit more and sound a bit more classy.

Maybe the differences are why I prefer the original and + models; I may be looking to hear that sound from the III and should look at the III as its own thing. I'd definitely like to try one out someday.

• Members

I am now in the market for a new amp after my 5150II of 10 years was stolen last month from me and it still haven't been found. So I really wanting to check out the 5153 but how are they for some good old fashion blues rock to Sludge? I play a lot Southern style sludge.

Wow bro, sorry to hear that. Assholes, I swear...

• Members

My new Scumback built cab 1969 spec cab with 65W M75s. The Mills with the Scumback H75LHDC/H55s already won. I sold the M75s yesterday already and will sell the unloaded cab for pure profit.
:lol:
I do admit that I would like a normal sized cab because I like the tonal differences, but I love the Mills. I may sell one just for space to add a Splawn cab and maybe an EVH and a Cameron cab (if I ever get that amp
:facepalm:
).

When I demo'd the EVH I played it through the EVH cab and a Bogner v30 cab. The EVH cab sounded alot better to me. I imagine the Bogner cab with better speakers would be as good, but that EVH cab is pretty killer.

Yeah... I've never been a fan of oversized cabs... especially with more modified Marshall sounding amps. Different deal when paired with a Mesa Recto, Bogner Uber, etc.

I've never been impressed with the Scumbacks... especially the 65 Watter, which reminds me of the G1265 Celestion, which I hate. Find some original pre-Rola or even early '70s G12M-25W... the 25W power rating, cone construction, the coloration and early break-up they give, really just is the icing on the cake. Everyone raves about the Scumbacks... but they are just meh to my ears... not even close to the originals IMHO.

Archived