Need some serious job advice RIGHT NOW!!!!! PLZKTHNX.

Chrisjd

• Members

OK, here is the deal my fellow HC peeps.

I applied for two jobs recently with a large localy headquartered company. I had one interview this morning and I already got an email back that they loved me and I will be getting an offer. They will be calling me with this offer later today.

The 2nd position I have an initial phone screen with today at 1 pm. if i pass that, i will than have the opportunity to come back for a second round interview next week probably. this 2nd position will pay me SUBSTANTIALLY more money.

Here is the thing, I don't want to commit to the first offer unless i know i won't get the 2nd, better offer. As far as I know, the company is unaware that i am interviewing for 2 positions. I would ask for a few days to decide on the first offer but I don't want to jeopardize it and have it revoked because I seem hesitant of flaky when in reality i would happily take it it's just that I am waiting to hear back about another position.

Is there standard protocol? can anyone offer me any advice?

• Members

If it were me? I would take the sure paycheck from the first offer. That's guaranteed, apparently. I wouldn't want to jeapordize that, in THIS {censored}TY JOB MARKET, on the off-chance of possibly, MAYBE, making more. If what you know you're going to get is more than enough to live on, I would take it. YMMV.

• Members

Be honest with them. People usually appreciate honesty. Just approach it professionally and in a pleasant way.

"My experience with you was great, and I am pretty much sold on the position, but I have one more opportunity to look into, otherwise I would be signing papers right now". Something along those lines.

• Members

Here's how you do it:

Accept job one. Say you can start in 4 weeks once your notice period is over.

Hand in notice at work.

Interview for job two. See how it goes. If they make you an offer, take it.

Results:

1) Get job one, don't get job two. Noone knows, all is good.

2) Get job one and job two. Go back to job one and say I've had an offer from another company of $XXXXX, can you match?

If no, say "thanks, but no thanks". Go back to job two and say, hey I can start in 3 weeks!

Not like company for job one can give you a bad reference, cos you never worked for them. unlikely to get too annoyed - your motivation for job two is there (financial) and you gave them an opportunity to match/better it.

3) as 2) but job one offers you the same money as job two. NICE PLAY, YOU WIN THE GAME - choice is yours buddy

You cannot lose here. Worst that happens is job one and job two don't make an offer and you stay at your current place.

• Members

Just wait and see for the better job. In the meantime ignore the calls of the first job. if u need to take that job later, Just call em up after u hear from the second job and tell them you were busy and that you are ready to go to work for them. But tell em u still need a week or two so u can enjoy the time off.

• Members

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your advice. It is clearer to me now that I should probably opt for the first position.

As one of you said, one bird in my hand is better than 2 in the bush.

If i get through the other interviews for the 2nd position, I will find a way to move to that.

• Members

Here's how you do it:

Hand in notice at work.

Results:

2) Get job one and job two. Go back to job one and say I've had an offer from another company of $XXXXX, can you match?

If no, say "thanks, but no thanks". Go back to job two and say, hey I can start in 3 weeks!

Not like company for job one can give you a bad reference, cos you never worked for them. unlikely to get too annoyed - your motivation for job two is there (financial) and you gave them an opportunity to match/better it.

3) as 2) but job one offers you the same money as job two. NICE PLAY, YOU WIN THE GAME - choice is yours buddy

You cannot lose here. Worst that happens is job one and job two don't make an offer and you stay at your current place.

This is probably what I would do.

• Members

accept the 1st, if you get the 2nd and its better take it. be polite and civil about it but you have every right to look out yourself.

Exactly. I did just this. You're gonna feel like a scumbag no matter what.

I started with Company 1 after delaying for as long as possible (2 weeks). The second company came back to me 3 weeks later with a better offer, and it was a better experience. So I had to go with that one, and it was an awkward departure, but honesty is the best policy.

• Members

Just wait and see for the better job. In the meantime ignore the calls of the first job. if u need to take that job later, Just call em up after u hear from the second job and tell them you were busy and that you are ready to go to work for them. But tell em u still need a week or two so u can enjoy the time off.

Whatever you do, don't listen to this guy. He's probably still unemployed.

• Members

I like the idea of accepting the first and seeing how the second pans out: If you get an offer from the second, notify the first company that you are unable to take the position. If the second doesn't work out, you have the job from the first. A win-win situation for you.

Or you could skip both and go on welfare. :idea:

• Members

:facepalm:

whatever you do: DO NOT DO THIS.

ignore calls from a prospective employer? seems like a good idea

imply you need more vacation time instead of starting a job you supposedy care about? awesome plan

how often in the day do you say would you like fries with that?

• Members

whatever you do:
DO NOT DO THIS

imply you need more vacation time instead of starting a job you supposedy care about? awesome plan

DON'T STEAL MY THUNDER!

Hahaha we basically said the exact same thing though.

• Members

Here's how you do it:

Hand in notice at work.

Results:

:thu:

I'd start the first job as soon as possible though.

• Members

Accept the first job.

Show up and slur your speech, but only around the boss.

Get fired for being intoxicated.

Have a blood test proving that you weren't drinking, plus gather testimonies from other employees who observed you acting sober.

Sue company for wrongful termination due to your refused sexual advances from your boss.

• Members

Take the sure offer, no ifs, ands or buts about it. TAKE IT!!!

If you get the second offer, TAKE IT!!! Without hesitation, take it. Give your whoever current employer is two weeks notice and tell them the truth, you've had a better offer that you've excepted. If they really value your contribution they'll match the offer. If they can't do that then they'll either be pissed or wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor and in either case they will certainly understand your decision. They may not like it but they will understand.

In this job market you'd be very foolish not to except ANY job offer. Take the sure thing. Your new employer is fully aware that you looked more than one place for employment and shouldn't be totally surprised that you got more than one offer. Whatever you do, don't tell either employer you are entertaining a second offer. None of their business until it becomes their business.

• Members

whatever you do:
DO NOT DO THIS

hahaha. So on hcaf, when a guy asks for serious advice, we are supposed to actually give it now. This place changes fast.

• Members

I think it's already been said, but if you are serious about opportunity 1, then take it, but definitely continue down the path of job 2 if it's something that could be a better fit. I think most employers would be OK with you taking a day or two to think over the offer, but anything more than that may seem like you're waiting for better things to come along....

still in insurance, or moving out of that world?

• Members

I agree with the take job 1, while still trying for job 2. Worst case scenario is that you are extremely briefly working for job 1 and end up taking job 2? Pretty sure that's not going to hurt your job prospects long-term, nor do you have to include that brief period on your resume.

Archived