Man , wait till you guys see this:

riffy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it will still sound like a recto, just not as big and wide sound-wise. The recto preamp plays a big role in that familar tone, so it should still deliver, just not with the same oomph. It looks like they're doing what orange did with the Dark terror, offering a high gain lunchbox. The dark terror only has 3 12ax7s, though. I'm guessing this will have 5.

• Members

The thing with the squishyness is that with a recto you can set it to Bold/SS diodes, and not have the squish/sag. Bold power is where it's at for the heavier tones, and this amp may not be able to muster that punchy tone with ball rattling bass, and if not it can't do a big part of what most recognize as the core of the DR/TR's tone.

Also, with two tubes pulled on a Dual and set to Spongy you've got a 35-40 watt squishy feeling recto. I don't see the 10-15 watts being worth the extra $ of buying a new amp if you've already got a DR in the stable.

• Members

The thing with the squishyness is that with a recto you can set it to Bold/SS diodes, and not have the squish/sag. Bold power is where it's at for the heavier tones, and this amp may not be able to muster that punchy tone with ball rattling bass, and if not it can't do a big part of what most recognize as the core of the DR/TR's tone.

Also, with two tubes pulled on a Dual and set to Spongy you've got a 35-40 watt squishy feeling recto. I don't see the 10-15 watts being worth the extra $ of buying a new amp if you've already got a DR in the stable.

The portability factor may be good for some people depending on the kinds of shows they play. They might want that flavor of tone for some small low-volume gigs. They've probably revoiced the amp enough to compensate for the power section, where for some people it may be close enough for rock 'n roll.

• Members

... I think if one dumps the expectation for it to bring authentic recto toans / authority it may not be a bad amp, otherwise it will in all likelyhood prove disappointing ...

I'm not saying it won't have some kick ass tones in it. I've never played a Mesa/Boogie amp that I could not get a killer sound out of fairly quickly, contrary to what some people say about them being hard to dial in. Not saying I got the best tones they could produce out of them right off the bat, but something that's representative of the amps capability.

Also, we'll have to wait and see how it's marketed, not all Dual Rectifiers were marketed towards the hard rock metal crowd, particularly the original DR models with EL84 tubes. This might be a second attempt at going down that road.

• Members

Well Rectos are obviously known to be saggy amps, the el34s wouldn't necessarily make it saggy, but it'd feel more like a Recto than larger tubes me thinks.

:idk:

They're only saggy if you set it to the tube rectifier mode and most people I know with rectos much prefer the SS rectifier mode.

• Members

How do you guys think it will compare to the 30W Transatlantic lunchbox amp ?

I think it's going to be targeted to hard rock/metal with more gain than the Transatlantic. It's going to be a baby Recto, diamond plate and all. Just my guess...

Archived