Ultimate bedroom amp?

C-Dawg

• Members

I know, I know, tl/dr. Whatever...

I am 100% a bedroom wanker. I don't have time to play in a band. I suck too much to play in a band. Yet, I still have a 100W amp that is LOUD AS {censored} that I wank away with in my guitar room (I own a house). This amp, even barely turned up at all, is audible from the street. This got me wanting a smaller amp that was still capable of a big sound at a lower volume.

When Mesa Boogie announced the Mini Recto, I got all excited. I thought: "This is my perfect bedroom amp!" But then I started to think... 25W is still loud enough to be heard over a drummer, meaning it is still ungodly loud for a bedroom. So, my excitement has slowly subsided about this "Mini Recto" as my perfect amp. I mean, the little 5W amps are still quite loud when turned up, and even then they don't give you that crushing tone of a 100W amp at full-bore. No one produces a good all-tube 5W metal-styled amp anyways (that I know of). It seems like the smaller wattage amps don't give the fullness that a larger wattage amp with big iron provide anyways...

This has caused me to wonder, what is the best sounding bedroom amp? I've come to my own conclusion that the Snax FX is probably going to be the ultimate bedroom amp. Who would agree with me? I know it is expensive, but if I spent $2000 on a Snax FX instead of my Nitro, I feel like I would have MUCH better tone than I do now. This is only due to the fact that I can't turn my Nitro up enough to get the tube goodness. Plus, I would have the added bonus of easy recording with it.

Basically after all that typing, I wish I could be told that the Mini Recto would be perfect for the bedroom even though that would be a lie. I don't want to sell my Nitro in order to fund a Snax 'cus I'm stubborn and don't want to come to the realization that I'm not gonna wake up next week and have acquired Matrix-style all the guitar skillz one could want. And on top of that, I keep dreaming that at some point in the near future that I would have the time needed to join a band (will never happen). But I know deep down that the Snax would be much more than I would ever need. The problem I have with it is that I could sell my amp for around $1500 +/- a few bills. But it would cost over $3000 for a live-setting-ready Snax FX rig (to appease the part of my brain that says I'm going to be touring next week, I need this).

Ugh, maybe I should just buy a pod, keep my Nitro, and accept bad tone...

• Members

Couple of options that you have. The Diezel Herbert believe it or not gets VERY good low volume tones for that big metal sound. The mini recto is 25 watts, but it has a 10 watt selectable switch. I've used a Dual Recto on the 50 watt setting at low volumes that sounds pretty good, so I think 10 watts is fine. If you want a TRUE bedroom all tube amp then look at this-

http://www.fargenamps.com/mini-plex-mkii

It is obviously in the Marshall camp, and you'd need a boost to push it past 80's hair metal gain territory into real hi-gain brootz territory but it sounds very good at low volumes. No big lows though like a Recto.

Out of everything I would suggest the Axe-fx for big Rectoish metal tones. That thing got really close to the sound of my Recto. Even beyond that, you get all those other tones along with it and all the FX. It's also a great unit for recording.

EDIT: Almost forgot, apparently the new Orange Dark Terror gets good hi gain tones for low volumes-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/orange-amplifiers-da15h-dark-terror-15-15w-tube-guitar-amp-head/h77202000000000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=977293793

• Members

I have 1 rig...my mako rig. I get the same tone at whisper volumes and at band volumes. When Im at home, I dont even use the power amp, just the mak4 directly to my interface with impulses. I have never had tone this good. I seriously cant imagine ever needing another amp. The power amp and preamp cost me about 1k. If I was only playing in my bedroom, Id have the same rig, maybe without a wireless, for those just in case I need to tour thought patterns :lol: (I think we all have those haha). If I didnt have those, Id just have the preamp going right into my interface.

• Members

Good modeling preamp or amp that has headphone output with a cabsim.

If "bedroom" volume is the goal you will never be able to crank your amp, even a 1/2W output power is easily at the ballpark of being too loud when cranked. You can forget "power amp distortion" in a bedroom.

Additionally "bedroom" levels mean you will never be able to even turn up the volume to a level at which the speakers are decently moving. If you want to experience a loudish and reasonably balanced sound instead of the anemic whispering coming from the loudspeaker cone you will need headphones.

With headphones a decent cabsim is a must.

An isocab might work but they usually still bleed bass through quite a lot and you'd need a rig consisting of amp + isocab + headphone amp. It's unneccessarily complex rig for bedrooms. You don't need a super rig, save that for times when you leave the bedroom and get a chance to play louder.

You can thank me later.

• Members

Does your Nitro have the loop volume knob. If not, add an eq or a volume pedal to the loop. I had an axe ultra and an axe II while I've owned my Nitro and I never got the Axe to sound as good as the Nitro did - even at low volumes. The Axe is still a good choice for low volume stuff though - just don't think it's gonna sound better than what you have. Turn it up and it just doesn't compare to a tube amp.

• Members

Thanks for the replies! I guess what I was hoping for was the tone of my Nitro with the volume above noon but not having to deal with the deafness that would ensue. My Nitro does have the loop volume, but lets be honest here, it doesn't sound the same as it being cranked. I guess I'm just frustrated that I want cranked high-gain tones without the volume hassle and I can't get it. Matt has had my a Nitro and a Snax side-by-side, and if he says the Nitro still sounds better at low volume, I'll go with that.

I don't think the Reeves would have enough gain for me, the price is right tho. I like the looks of the Fargen, two problems with it are I'd want a more modern metal tone, and I'd have to sell my Nitro to fund that. I'm trying to avoid needing to sell my Nitro. Also, the Dark Terror isn't American made. Many people may scoff at me, but I've begun to only buy USA made products where possible. I'll pay the premium for it, I don't care (and I'm don't have a lot of cash to throw away either).

Those who use impulses, how do you hook up your amp to your recording system? Do you use your FX-send or something? I'm confused, I've never used impulses. But if it gives better recording tones than my anemic low-volume recordings, I'd love to give it a try.

I could have avoided all of these issues if I'd bought a house in the country.

• Members

any good ol peavey bandit,a few pedalzzzz, GOOD TO GO..BTW,THEE PEAVEY SOLIDSTATERS,THE XXL-2X12 COMBOS,PEAVEY ULTRA+ 1X12 TUBE AMPS.... OR A 5-6 YR. OLD CRATE!!!!! BTW AGAIN YOU SAID BEDROOM AMPS.... ALSO I MYSELF REALLY,LOOOVE THE ROLAND SERIES SOLID STATES!! THEY HAVE THOSE SETTINGS,RECTUMFRYER,BRITISH,METAL,ETC,ETC...

• Members

Couple of choices .

The mini recto actually has a 10 watt power setting

The Randall RM22 is a beast 20 wattts

Baron custom amps Snot Watt about 10 watts

The HK tube meister .18 watts again has power scaling right down to 1 watt..

all of those will cover the Clean /hi gain rythm and screaming solo mode

price wise HK and Baron round $700 .Rect and randall w/one mode .$1000

• Members

Couple of choices .

The mini recto actually has a 10 watt power setting

The
Randall RM22
is a beast 20 wattts

Baron custom amps Snot Watt about 10 watts

The HK tube meister .18 watts again has power scaling right down to 1 watt..

all of those will cover the Clean /hi gain rythm and screaming solo mode

price wise HK and Baron round $700 .Rect and randall w/one mode .$1000

RM22 is prolly the best amp at it's class! :thu: you can get any tonz you want homy!

• Members

Oh, I like the looks of the Snott Watt. It isn't on their site tho?

Actually I'd have to change my recommendation, I choose the Baron :lol:. I don't know how I forgot about Baron, that guy is pure class and his amps sound incredible. One of the best metal amps I have played was a Baron k2 custom and it was amazingly versatile too. If you can get his poweramp response (voice) knob (not just switch, but an actually potentiometer) put in the Snott watt, I highly recommend that. It controlled the amount of sag which I found very useful for 6505ish grind to bigger, looser Rectoish feel.

Anyhow, he usually can customize the amp to your tastes as well, at least he did for my friend's amp.

Archived