Blackheart - boutique?

J.Paul

• Members

I don't know that they claim to be "boutique." The three things that are most notable about them are that they're owned by Crate's parent company, their amps are designed by Peter Belov, and their factory is in China, and they aren't exactly secretive about any of the three.

AAhh!

ok that makes sense

I see.....

• Members

I've never heard of them claiming to be boutique...

They would be fooling themselves if they are in any way shape or form.

Ok

that's probably some bunk I've been hearing then....

my Little Giant sounds pretty good though (except for metal)

• Members

I didn't exactly appreciate the fact that when you look a transformer on blackhearts it has a limited frequency range...up to 5 khz. I don't know if they do it on purpose but many guitar speakers sparkle above that.

Still many amp builders speak highly of the construction compared to china made oranges or jet citys. But, still it is not as if you will find ptp, turret boards, chassis mounted tubes and extra expensive components or speakers.

Boutique my ass but still decent and great value for the price? Can be a winner product nonetheless.

• Members

I actually own one. and im a fan. They use better components and a better circuit designed by some amp guru..peter something.

What speakers are you using w/ it??

I'm still looking for the right speaker and cab for it (I don't like the Blackheart Cabs).

I'd looking for a 1x12

• Members

What speakers are you using w/ it??

I'm still looking for the right speaker and cab for it (I don't like the Blackheart Cabs).

I'd looking for a 1x12

V30's typically. G12-75's, Greenbacks, Emi Swamp thangs, Splawn big blocks, small blocks etc...whatever I got Lying around at the time.

here is a clip I did a long time ago with WHGS vet30's using a Behringer (:eek:) Vintage Tube Monster.

http://netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=876

• Members

What's up with the 100 watt Hot Head? Price is insanely low and the specs are nice....never heard any clips or anything about em

Yea man.. I was definitely down to check one out. It it were ANYTHING like the Little Giant with a 100w power section that could be gold!

edit: video

[video=youtube;68o4G1s7des]

• Members

V30's typically. G12-75's, Greenbacks, Emi Swamp thangs, Splawn big blocks, small blocks etc...whatever I got Lying around at the time.

here is a clip I did a long time ago with WHGS vet30's using a Behringer (
:eek:
) Vintage Tube Monster.

http://netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=876

Yeah man, nice

not really the application I'm using it for.

I tried it with a G12-75 yesterday it was decent (but it was in an open back cabinet)

and an Emi redfang and was decent (but it was in a 2x12).

Guitar Center had a Tweaker that sounded the best so far (had a grill/vent in the back)

• Members

"Crate" is merely a brand/trademark. It's owner (today) is LOUD Technologies that also owns the "Blackheart" brand.

Yes, they initially tried to introduce the amps to the markets as inexpensive "boutique" designed by a famous tube amp guru, and yes, they didn't exactly advertise that the amps actually come from the same company that makes Ampeg and Crate, or that the amps are actually mass-produced in Asia; rather they tried to be somewhat silent about it and push the boutique / designed-by-amp-guru image.

Anyway, it didn't take long for people to find out they were really just another brand from LOUD, produced cheaply in China and that the amp guru was just another memeber from the designer crew of the Crate/Ampeg amps. ...so they dropped off the boutique marketing strategy pretty quickly. For a moment, few people bought it though.

And since Bugera was mentioned, they - for a while - managed to exploit the "boutique" marketing strategy too, and when those amps were advertised I remember a lot of folks drooling all over them in anticipation to see them in stores.

• Members

Yeah man, nice

not really the application I'm using it for.

I tried it with a G12-75 yesterday it was decent (but it was in an open back cabinet)

and an Emi redfang and was decent (but it was in a 2x12).

Guitar Center had a Tweaker that sounded the best so far (had a grill/vent in the back)

You went wrong with the open back. I hate the 75 in an open back..but its probably my favorite speaker in a sealed cab. A Greenback would be awesome in a 1x12 open back.

Archived