Cheap amp for classic rock tones?

chadd

• Members

I haven't owned a Marshall in 20 years and I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive that does the generic marshall thing well. I'm not looking for an amp to do hardcore or metal, just something that works well for playing rock tunes in a cover band. I already have the dark and heavy thing covered with my recto.

A buddy of mine always got great tones out of his 4500 and that's the route I've been thinking. Prices on those or 4100s aren't bad at all. Wondering if I would be better off with one of the new MA50 or MA100s instead or even if there is something else out there that sounds similar for less cash.

I plan on using my 4x12 with celestions, so a head would be preferred.

• Members

All tube, handwired.

Turn up the volume until you reach your desired level of distortion , then back off the guitar volume for great clean tones

That's never worked for me ever. When I turn down the volume I just get muddy lifeless cleans. Even if I use a treble bleed cap across my guitar's volume pots. I hear this expression all the time and it's always baffled me. I've owned and built probably over 50 amps in my lifetime and own about 30 guitars.

• Members

I'm a Marshall guy, thru and thru. One thing I've learned over the years is........If you want a marshall sound..........get a marshall. :idea:

Been this route and back a few times:facepalm:. Always end up back with a marshall. I don't like the peaveys, and hated the Jet City I had.

Just get a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL or TSL, and enjoy the Marshally goodness.

• Members

I'm a Marshall guy, thru and thru. One thing I've learned over the years is........If you want a marshall sound..........get a marshall.
:idea:

Been this route and back a few times:facepalm:. Always end up back with a marshall. I don't like the peaveys, and hated the Jet City I had.

Just get a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL or TSL, and enjoy the Marshally goodness.

i'm baffled by this post. if i were you i would have suggested a laney gh100l.

• Members

Much as I love the Laney (which I am only selling becasue I got a plexi), it's close, but it isnt a Marshall. The Laney is voiced a little different, and has gobs more gain than you need for his purposes. Plus, it is only a one channel amp.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions so far, the Jet City amps sound good but I'm really looking for a two channel (at least) amp that doesn't have shared controls for the channels. I'm sure I could get by without that, but if getting by was good enough, I would use my Mesa.

I'm a Marshall guy, thru and thru. One thing I've learned over the years is........If you want a marshall sound..........get a marshall.
:idea:

That was the plan, just figured I would see if there was something else out there worth checking out along the way.

• Members

+1. Recommending a Marshall for Marshall sounds is just crazy talk. There has GOT to be some other, much more obscure and convoluted way to do this.... hmmm... Have you looked at something like a Rocktron Voodu Valve coupled with a parametric EQ into the FX return of your Recto as an option?

• Members

The only Marshall's I have owned were two DSL100 heads (sold it chasing the tone unicorn, then bought another and sold it for something smaller), and I absolutely loved that amp. Extremely versatile and and amazing sounds! That being said, I also have a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 combo that sounds absolutely amazing and has kept me from getting any gas for a Marshall DSL again. The only Marshall that I would (at this moment) jump on if it became available in my area would be a JCM900 SL-X... but that is because I have wanted to get one of those amps for years!!!

Go check out the Peavey Classic line, I myself prefer the Classic 50 to the Classic 30 because of some of its features, but all in all they are great amps!

Cole

• Members

I still don't get it.

"I want to sound like a Marshall..........is there a peavey that does this ? "

I asked specifically about two types of Marshalls as well as anything else I should check into. I appreciate your freedback on the DSL and TSL, but there's no need to build straw men to argue against.

Alot of the old Traynors are basically Marshall rip-offs. Look into that.

I just sold a GM3 a month or so ago, it wasn't versatile enough and without modding it needed to be cranked.

Archived