Cheap amp for classic rock tones?

chadd

• Members

+1. Recommending a Marshall for Marshall sounds is just crazy talk. There has GOT to be some other, much more obscure and convoluted way to do this.... hmmm... Have you looked at something like a Rocktron Voodu Valve coupled with a parametric EQ into the FX return of your Recto as an option?

dude has a laney for sale in his sig holmes.

• Members

I still don't get it.

"I want to sound like a Marshall..........is there a peavey that does this ? "
:facepalm:

If you want a Sportscar, don't get a mini van with rims....
:cop:

have you ever played a vtm or peavey classic? the vtm is literally a direct ripoff of a jcm800 with an extra gain stage, 6l6s, and a few eq changing dipswitches. i really enjoy the dsl but you can find a vtm for half the price, and it easily replicates the "marshall roar."

• Members

have you ever played a vtm or peavey classic? the vtm is literally a direct ripoff of a jcm800 with an extra gain stage, 6l6s, and a few eq changing dipswitches. i really enjoy the dsl but you can find a vtm for half the price, and it easily replicates the "marshall roar."

I've gigged both and while the Peavey may be a rip off, it doesn't sound like exactly a JCM 800 to me. It's got more low end, fizzier/grainier highs, and depending on how the dip switches are set, slightly lower mid roar. They are a ridiculously good deal and a great alternative though.

Admittedly, I'm in the "you want a Marshall, buy a Marshall" camp. But I'm a picky bastard. The VTM, Jet City, Laney, Egnaters all approximate that sound with their own twist. You may even like their versions better.

Archived