Been out of navy boot camp for over 3 weeks now. Ask me anything

Boris the Blade

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Boris,

Ship life was not bad for me. I was on a small ship. A Fast Friggate, the USS Downes FF-1070. It was small enough that everyone knew each other. Also, our captain was super cool. I got pretty lucky. I don't know if there are even anymore cool ships like that anymore but hope yours is.

• Members

Way to go man,.. I was in from 1991-1997. Was also a push button E-4 after A School in Philly. The best part about being a push button is that you won't have to do a tour on the mess decks !!! I took a ton of {censored} for not having to do it but I gladly accepted the jokes. That job sucks. I think it's 6 weeks long and you scrape food and do dishes all day long.

A few important things,... Never miss curfew !!! If the captain says be back on the ship at midnight,.. Your ass better be there. Also,.. While hitting foreign ports,.. It's fun to get plastered and party in a bunch of bars but during the day,.. go see some {censored}. My best day ever in my life was in Bali, I took a bus out to a remote beach and chilled out all day with some locals. Then went back and got hammered at the bar with my shipmates!!

Ship life is ok,.. You want a top bunk,.. because if someone pukes or pisses themselves,... it goes down, not up. You will eat a ton of ramen, watch a ton of movies and have a ton of time to practice guitar. This is where I learned to play. Deployed in the Gulf for 6 months,.. I practiced about 5 hours a day. You can get good quickly. Even started a band and we played pretty often for the crew.

Just enjoy yourself and take your job seriously. Thanks for the service and I wish I could hit Hong Kong, Penang, Sydney, Tokyo and other places again. It was the best 6 years of my life.

Carl

• Members

Way to go man,.. I was in from 1991-1997. Was also a push button E-4 after A School in Philly. The best part about being a push button is that you won't have to do a tour on the mess decks !!! I took a ton of {censored} for not having to do it but I gladly accepted the jokes. That job sucks. I think it's 6 weeks long and you scrape food and do dishes all day long.

A few important things,... Never miss curfew !!! If the captain says be back on the ship at midnight,.. Your ass better be there. Also,.. While hitting foreign ports,.. It's fun to get plastered and party in a bunch of bars but during the day,.. go see some {censored}. My best day ever in my life was in Bali, I took a bus out to a remote beach and chilled out all day with some locals. Then went back and got hammered at the bar with my shipmates!!

Ship life is ok,.. You want a top bunk,.. because if someone pukes or pisses themselves,... it goes down, not up. You will eat a ton of ramen, watch a ton of movies and have a ton of time to practice guitar. This is where I learned to play. Deployed in the Gulf for 6 months,.. I practiced about 5 hours a day. You can get good quickly. Even started a band and we played pretty often for the crew.

Just enjoy yourself and take your job seriously. Thanks for the service and I wish I could hit Hong Kong, Penang, Sydney, Tokyo and other places again. It was the best 6 years of my life.

Carl

When i did it in 1982' it was 90 days mess crank'in [in the scullery] and 90 days compartment cleaning including the Head & Laundry and it sucked dragging 300 pound laundry bags the length of an Aircraft Carrier below decks to and from.

To the OP they have women on ships now which i don't get, and i'll guaran-fecking-tee you some people are fecking, my advice, stay away from the {censored}, the drugs & alcohol aboard ship, do your job and you'll be fine.

• Members

awwww....booter starts a thread!!!!!! ;)
you're in my firelane, shipmate! {censored}ing RTC :facepalm:

You can bring guitars on the ship?

{censored} yeah. i had a whole rig. 5 guitars, pedal rig to rival omar rodriguez and a epi VJ stack. i had pedals helo'd to me all the time in the gulf.

• Members

??? Thought you were talking about racks? Gyro stabilized racks do not exist

No, the whole boat. I know there arent any gyro stabilised racks. That would be some mighty expensive overengineering :lol: Very considerate though...

• Members

I'm a Shellback, i hear you can't even have Wog-day anymore, or at least a pussified version because women sailors sued for sexual harrasment, shiver me fecking Timbers in Davey Jones locker.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: It took 3 months to get arresting cable grease outta my head.

What happens if a female seaman gets pregnant at sea?

WalkingThePlank.jpg

• Members
Alright this whole the Navy is gay thing is completely false.

That's only the English Navy.

The English Navy ceased to exist in 1707.

Homosexuals in the Armed Forces:

United States GAO Report

Number of Discharges

During fiscal years 1980 through 1990, approximately 17,000 servicemen and women (an average of about 1,500 per year) were separated from the services under the category of "homosexuality." Approximately 1,000 military personnel were discharged in 1990. No determination that their behavior had adversely affected the ability of the military services to perform their missions was required. In terms of rank, gender, and race/ethnicity, the majority were enlisted personnel; most were men; and most were white. However,
some groups were consistently discharged at a rate higher than their representation in the total active force or individual service.
For example, between 1980 and 1990,
the navy representing 27 percent of the active force, accounted for about 51 percent of the discharges
; and women, representing 11 percent of the total active navy force, accounted for 22 percent for those discharged.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/gao_report.asp :idea:

• Members

im a shellback as well. this is not true. yes, it is pussified a bit, as in there arent any more physical beatings, but its more because of {censored} dudes than women. anti hazing rules are strictly enforced, as everyone is affraid of losing their command. tacking on crows and ESWS pins, etc., of course suffer from this. but what happens in the shop, stays in the shop.

• Members
I'm a Shellback, i hear you can't even have Wog-day anymore, or at least a pussified version because women sailors sued for sexual harrasment, shiver me fecking Timbers in Davey Jones locker.
:mad:
It took 3 months to get arresting cable grease outta my head.

not entirely true. im a shellback as well. they removed the physical beatings, thats about it. and not because of the women, but because of the anti-hazing rules which were really brought on by men, mostly. most of that {censored} (ass-greasing, etc.) WAS really uncalled for anyway. but yeah, water, trash, grease, basically anything that isnt physically harmful, still flies. our female CMC was a wog when i went through :eek: she got treated extra special like ;)
{censored}ty thing? we didnt cross my second cruise :cry: so i didnt get to dress like a pirate and ruin any wogs' day.
but i'll attest, some {censored}ED up {censored} went down. the details of which, of course, arent meant for wog ears ;)

• Members

When i went thru wog-day i was awaken with fire extinguishers and began crawling in what would be the longest day of my 18 years [age] the non-skid of the flightdeck ate the leather off my flightdeck boots, not to mention my knees. The worst was they had a makeshift swimming pool about 3 feet deep with 10 day old garbage from the mess decks and when we went thru the Straights of Malaca the bilges and pumps got clogged with thousands of these silver dollar sized fish, the guys in Engineering saved dozens of garbage bags full of these fish and put them in the pool.
They made us submerge in all the garbage & fish, most people puked adding to the menu, some guys passed out, and they beat us with rubber lined firehose all day long.:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

she is flown home, sent to shore duty at an office until she has maternity leave, and is then reassigned to a new command. and invariably, a chief is forced to retire
:cop:

not entirely true. im a shellback as well. they removed the physical beatings, thats about it. and not because of the women, but because of the anti-hazing rules which were really brought on by men, mostly. most of that {censored} (ass-greasing, etc.) WAS really uncalled for anyway. but yeah, water, trash, grease, basically anything that isnt physically harmful, still flies. our female CMC was a wog when i went through
:eek:
she got treated extra special like
;)
{censored}ty thing? we didnt cross my second cruise
:cry:
so i didnt get to dress like a pirate and ruin any wogs' day.

but i'll attest, some {censored}ED up {censored} went down. the details of which, of course, arent meant for wog ears
;)

Archived