** Official HCAF Skyrim Thread **

FastRedPonyCar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So beautiful, alas it comes after Saints Row 3 in my buying order, because i'll never play any of the other new releases if Skyrim moves up in the rotation.

Just looking at vids of dragons and trolls fighting just gives me a boner.

Think of it as a pragmatic way to save money :poke:

• Members

I picked this up for 360 yesterday morning cuz my bass player was raving about it so hard......ended up spending the entire day playing the {censored} :love::lol:

Sucks to be at work today :facepalm::lol:

I've pwned two dragons so far....not sure what the soul of the second one did for me yet (it was at the lunar forge....I think it was called?)

• Members

I picked this up for 360 yesterday morning cuz my bass player was raving about it so hard......ended up spending the entire day playing the {censored}
:love::lol:

Sucks to be at work today
:facepalm::lol:

I've pwned two dragons so far....not sure what the soul of the second one did for me yet (it was at the lunar forge....I think it was called?)

My drummer is absolutely tripping over this game....I need to grab it because he hates everything!

• Members

Well, Skyrim's graphics on PS3 depend on what TV you're playing on. At my apartment, I was getting none of the issues that people on the Bethesda forums were crying about: Lots of low-res textures, no shadow/light detail on dungeon walls, polygon artifacts, etc. However, I brought the PS3 over to my girlfriend's apartment, and I got ALL of these issues.

I was camped out in Dustman's Cairn when I left my apartment - I remembered not being able to see much of anything due to the shadows and overall darkness (i.e. I was grabbing ingredients and potions off shelves, and I couldn't even see what I was grabbing). But on my girlfriend's TV, it was like turning on Fullbright in Quake, and all the textures were washed out and low-res: It basically looked like a slightly better-looking Oblivion.

I went into my PS3's settings where I had it auto-detect the settings for the TV, and I turned on the full RGB. That helped a little bit - the shadows and lighting were back, and textures were a lot more detailed. However, it still wasn't like playing on my TV at home - the game simply didn't look as good. I walked up to a river, and I could see the individual polygons in the water, especially in rapids. I found some spider eggs, and you could see these crazy-bright white squares that weren't supposed to be there. If I walked into a fire pit that's emitting a lot of bloom lighting, I'd get lines running across my screen where it's trying to fade in and out between orange and normal lighting, whereas on my TV it would smoothly blend between the two. Also, I was seeing bright blues lines between some polygon faces in dungeon walls and rocks, similar to slime trails.

So yeah, if you're playing on a PS3 and you're thinking, "What the Hell?", mess with your PS3's settings a bit. I wasn't able to get her TV back to near-perfection like it was on mine, but it was a LOT better afterwards.

Edit: I was using HDMI on both televisions.

• Members

Well, Skyrim's graphics on PS3 depend on what TV you're playing on. At my apartment, I was getting none of the issues that people on the Bethesda forums were crying about: Lots of low-res textures, no shadow/light detail on dungeon walls, polygon artifacts, etc. However, I brought the PS3 over to my girlfriend's apartment, and I got ALL of these issues.

I was camped out in Dustman's Cairn when I left my apartment - I remembered not being able to see much of anything due to the shadows and overall darkness (i.e. I was grabbing ingredients and potions off shelves, and I couldn't even see what I was grabbing).

^ It was pretty damned dark in parts of the Cairn on my 360 too....had to whip out a torch in a couple spots. I should probably {censored} with my settings a bit because some {censored} is really hard to see at night.

• Members

What kind of TVs were you using? I'm dying to pick this up, but I don't have a 1080 television. It's 720p, but 46''. Plasma. I have absolutely NO complaints about any other game I've played on it. Uncharted 3 looks fantastic on it.

Well, I forgot what my {censored}ing TV is :facepalm: I'll have to check when I get home. I was trying to get the specs on my girlfriend's TV, but she threw the box away and all the materials. Both are LCDs, and hers is smaller than mine. I think mine's a 720p, and I *think* hers is a 480p - not at all sure.

Anyway, I'll swing by my apartment to check my TV during my lunchbreak.

• Members

I've never played any of the Elder Scrolls games before this one....but it definitely kicks ass. Be prepared to spend a lot of time lol....everything is so huge you'll feel like you're constantly missing {censored}.

Im a HUGE fan of IV so if this is an improvement my wife will be off the nookie hook for a while ;)

• Members

Graphics have absolutely nothing to do with what TV you're playing on. How they look on the other hand is another story. If the game uses low res textures hooking up a different tv isn't going to change that. I have a Panasonic VT30 which is considered to have the best picture quality on the market and I see these issues. My tv is calibrated too so there is no issue with how it's set up. I will say that smaller sets will make it harder to notice texture issues though. Playing on my 40in monitor it isnt quite as noticeable as on the 65 in Panasonic.

Archived