Mesa Recto Vs. Peavey XXX

DrakkarTyrannis

• Members

I loved my Recto. Kick ass amp. Low/medium and high gain. worked well with my Tele (super low output), and high output guitars. Took my ts9 very well. loop was awesome for delays. Wasn't fizzy unless the gain was maxed on red/modern/silicon rectifier.

XXX for me was harder to dial in. I've never owned one, but tried a few out. Reading about the active EQ makes me realize I probably noobed it up hard.

• Members

Yeah but I get great recorded tones at home with my dual. Its not cranked, just loud enough to piss off anyone in the house.

But if you're competing with a drummer, a recto doesn't even need a boost.

I got my Triple to sound good all the way down to TV volume. Maybe it was a good one? However, I highly doubt it since it was a newer 3 channel, stock Mesa tubes, etc. Could have been the G12t75's that were 20+ years old?

• Members

Can't speak for the dual/triple but the Rectoverb was a great amp and got great overdrive tones at all volumes. It did come more alive at the louder settings though.

As far as the flub...user error. There are 4 volume/gain related knobs on the Recto. Gain which should never be dimed....channel master, which has varying opinions but mine is that it should never be past 11 o'clock...the Output (amp master) which is your overall volume. And finally, the treble control. The treble set past 2-3 o'clock wreaks havoc on these amps if you max out the gain.

• Members

I really liked this Peavey Ultra Plus I'd tried up until the day I got a Rectifier. Peavey makes cool cheap amps; nobody in the audience would be able to tell the difference. The rectifier is just badass. Yes, too open for a good lead tone all on its own; so put a $60 Hardwire CM-2 or a $30 Boss SD-1 in front for when you wanna solo, problem solved.

• Members

Recto by far.

I hate the XXX and the JSX. NO balls at all.

Get a marshall instead (ducks head and runs out the door) :poke:

Yeah the XXX and JSX do lack in the balls department..but that's why some people like them. I modded my JSX to give it more balls and now I'd like to run it against a recto and see what's what. I ran it against a Roadster and whereas I loved the Roadster tone, my JSX wasn't beaten hands down

• Members

Recto by far.

I hate the XXX and the JSX. NO balls at all.

Get a marshall instead (ducks head and runs out the door) :poke:

While I respect the Rectifier line amps for what they are, they definitely have their quirks that I don't care for, hence why I own a XXX. To say the XXX and JSX have no balls at all sounds like either sour grapes or short between the guitar and the amp input. There is a several thousand post long thread on these forums (The Peavey Triple XXX Lounge thread) and a JSX owners thread with plenty of examples of them having just as much balls as a Recto. :wave: It's all in the ability of the person behind the guitar IMHO.

Now before the accusations of butthertz, I like Marshalls too, but they too have plenty of quirks on their own and even my fellow guitarist in my current band is having his fair share of issues with his, starting with the POS footswitch unfortunately. IMHO if Marshall in general would quit relying on it's name for sales, get more responsible customer service, QA out the door and start seriously addressing some issues with the aforementioned subject, I would be far more inclined to want to buy one.

Bottom line though, either of these amps will work for a wide variety of music,(yes, even some of the Marshalls, like the newest JVMs) depending on the ability of the user to sit down, understand it's controls and tweak it properly.(and neither the Recto or XXX are easy in that regard as well due to their unique tone stacks)

• Members

While I respect the Rectifier line amps for what they are, they definitely have their quirks that I don't care for, hence why I own a XXX. To say the XXX and JSX have no balls at all sounds like either sour grapes or short between the guitar and the amp input. There is a several thousand post long thread on these forums (The Peavey Triple XXX Lounge thread) and a JSX owners thread with plenty of examples of them having just as much balls as a Recto.
:wave:
It's all in the ability of the person behind the guitar IMHO.

Now before the accusations of butthertz, I like Marshalls too, but they too have plenty of quirks on their own and even my fellow guitarist in my current band is having his fair share of issues with his, starting with the POS footswitch unfortunately. IMHO if Marshall in general would quit relying on it's name for sales, get more responsible customer service, QA out the door and start seriously addressing some issues with the aforementioned subject, I would be far more inclined to want to buy one.

Bottom line though, either of these amps will work for a wide variety of music,(yes, even some of the Marshalls, like the newest JVMs) depending on the ability of the user to sit down, understand it's controls and tweak it properly.(and neither the Recto or XXX are easy in that regard as well due to their unique tone stacks)

Not butthurt at all :)

I have played on several XXX and JSX's. They didn't work for me. But as always, that can be a pickup/guitar issue, or a speaker or eq issue as well. I have yet to get a useable tone out of a XXX or a JSX. Just me..........

Recto's I can get a good useable tone fairly quickly, but I prefer the Stiletto's.

Marshall's have thier own issues, but I have yet to find a tube marshall that I couldnt get a good useable sound out of, sometimes even a great sound.

That being said, If I had the money right now, I'd buy a Blackstar or a Stiletto.

Actually, my Blackstar HT stage 100 should be here this week :)

• Members

Not butthurt at all
:)

I have played on several XXX and JSX's. They didn't work for me. But as always, that can be a pickup/guitar issue, or a speaker or eq issue as well. I have yet to get a useable tone out of a XXX or a JSX. Just me..........

Recto's I can get a good useable tone fairly quickly, but I prefer the Stiletto's.

Marshall's have thier own issues, but I have yet to find a tube marshall that I couldnt get a good useable sound out of, sometimes even a great sound.

That being said, If I had the money right now, I'd buy a Blackstar or a Stiletto.

Actually, my Blackstar HT stage 100 should be here this week
:)

:lol: It seems being a recto or xxx guy depends on which one you naturally dial in better. People say they prefer the XXX because they couldn't dial in any decent tone from a Recto. I suppose it's all a matter of taste. I love both amps. My JSX I modded to blur the line between the Ultra series and Recto..I think I've succeeded enough to where I'm happy.

Archived