Mesa Recto Vs. Peavey XXX

DrakkarTyrannis

• Members

So I often see these two amps compared to eachother in some way shape or form. I'd like to know from those who've tried them, what your opinion is? Some say the recto eats the XXX alive, some say the XXX is what the Recto should have been. I suppose this goes for the other Peavey Ultra amps too. What's HCAFs take on this?

• Members

Recto. I have owned both and the recto excels at other genres, it is a lot more flexible tonally. The big loose tone is actually really cool for a lot of styles, and i think the cleans are actually pretty good even though the two channels are supposed to have subpar cleans. I dont find that to be true at all.

The xxx is a good amp but it is severely limited. The cleans are ok, they are kinda plinky and dont break up well at all. The crunch channel is awesome, its high gain tone rivals a boosted recto easily, but thats all you get there. The ultra channel is like a noisy, compressed crunch. It can be used for some pretty cool single note runs bit it is really similar to the crunch channel.

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I love the Triple XXX especially with KT77's in the power section. It's a heavenly metal amp! But the Recto is much more versatile especially with all the modes they have. That being said, I can buy 2 Triple XXX's for the price of 1 Recto on the used market.

But to be honest, the OP noted these 2 are always being compared? really? not really apples to apples

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I love the Triple XXX especially with KT77's in the power section. It's a heavenly metal amp! But the Recto is much more versatile especially with all the modes they have. That being said, I can buy 2 Triple XXX's for the price of 1 Recto on the used market.

But to be honest, the OP noted these 2 are always being compared? really? not really apples to apples

That's what confuses me. I guess it stems from the XXX coming out to rival the recto during the Recto's nu-metal hayday. I don't think they sound alike. They CAN sound alike but the XXX is from the Ultra+ which wasn't a Recto copy in any way shape or form.

• Members

For me , I will take the XXX every day of the week over a Recto. A Recto is the only amp Ive ever played that is completely unusable for me without a boost. Flubby , ear piercing and grainy. It has plenty of gain , but the gain it has , I dont like . With a XXX , I cant make that damn amp sound bad. The XXX cleans are better and the high gain is better. Neither of them do a mid crunch very well though. Ive spent a lot of time with both and even if the XXX was more money than the Recto , Id still take the XXX. Now add in the fact that you can get at least 2-XXX's for what a Recto costs and its a no brainer for me.

• Members

For me , I will take the XXX every day of the week over a Recto. A Recto is the only amp Ive ever played that is completely unusable for me without a boost. Flubby , ear piercing and grainy. It has plenty of gain , but the gain it has , I dont like . With a XXX , I cant make that damn amp sound bad. The XXX cleans are better and the high gain is better. Neither of them do a mid crunch very well though. Ive spent a lot of time with both and even if the XXX was more money than the Recto , Id still take the XXX. Now add in the fact that you can get at least 2-XXX's for what a Recto costs and its a no brainer for me.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I've got a Peavey Ultra(the original, not the plus) and a 2 chanel recto. Ultra kicks it's ass in every way imaginable.

• Members

Had a XXX, my first tube amp. I liked it a lot. It would have been nice to get some lower gain tones. Pretty tight and aggressive. I thought the cleans were fine. I ended up getting an Ultra Plus and sold the XXX right after. I then sold the Ultra after getting a JSX. JSX is a much better amp than both.

I also got a Single Rec and hated it. It only sounded good at ear shattering levels. The fizz killed the tone. Buzzy, loose ass rectum fryer. But it was pure sex when boosted and cranked! The parallel loop sucks.

Close enough comparison:

Ultra Plus

http://tonefinder.com/index.php?section=id&value=4256

Single Rectifier

http://tonefinder.com/index.php?section=id&value=4253

• Members

Had a XXX, my first tube amp. I liked it a lot. It would have been nice to get some lower gain tones. Pretty tight and aggressive. I thought the cleans were fine. I ended up getting an Ultra Plus and sold the XXX right after. I then sold the Ultra after getting a JSX. JSX is a much better amp than both.

I also got a Single Rec and hated it. It only sounded good at ear shattering levels. The fizz killed the tone. Buzzy, loose ass rectum fryer. But it was pure sex when boosted and cranked! The parallel loop sucks.

Close enough comparison:

Ultra Plus

http://tonefinder.com/index.php?section=id&value=4256

Single Rectifier

http://tonefinder.com/index.php?section=id&value=4253

I've still never boosted my recto :facepalm: gotta try that, but I agree with your above sentiments about the recto. The fizz is unbearable.

• Members

Rectos do midgain really well IMO :idk:

It's common knowledge that Rectos only sound good loud, people still don't know this? It's pretty much the opposite of a bedroom amp (making it not the best amp for most HCAF members). Get a two channel Dual or Triple up past noon on the master, and :love:

• Members

Close enough comparison:

Ultra Plus

Single Rectifier

I'm a JSX fanboi so you know I agree. I love all the Ultras but the JSX is my baby

• Members

I have a Road King and a XXX (with 6L6s), that is a tough call.

The Road King covers a bit more ground with its 4 channels, but if you're looking for clean vs clean, gain vs gain... Mesa SLAYS on the clean as the cleans are dynamic and sing with life. The XXX's clean is that, clean, but it doesn't have the same life. I actually love the clean settings the most of my Road King, it just is amazing.

For sheer gain, the Ultra on the XXX is crazy heavy and a little compressed. I use that as my rhythm channel and use the brighter voiced but nearly equal in gain crunch channel for soloing.

The R K is no slouch for gain either, it is a little more articulate gain and does expose flaws in ability. Its a more organic feeling amp no doubt about it, it breaths with a little more life.

I'd say value for dollar the XXX is a no brainer with 6L6s in it, you can get 2 of them for the price a Mesa. If I had to, I'd dump all my amps and just keep my Road King.

Derek

• Members

Recto. I have owned both and the recto excels at other genres, it is a lot more flexible tonally. The big loose tone is actually really cool for a lot of styles, and i think the cleans are actually pretty good even though the two channels are supposed to have subpar cleans. I dont find that to be true at all.

The xxx is a good amp but it is severely limited. The cleans are ok, they are kinda plinky and dont break up well at all. The crunch channel is awesome, its high gain tone rivals a boosted recto easily, but thats all you get there. The ultra channel is like a noisy, compressed crunch. It can be used for some pretty cool single note runs bit it is really similar to the crunch channel.

Pretty much this. The XXX is a one trick pony that cops a boosted recto like tone that is amazing, but for everything else its mediocre.

The Recto does tones more and, of course, does the boosted recto tone. :lol:

I actually like the XXX better than a boosted recto, but I'll take the recto for anything else.

• Members

Rectos do midgain really well IMO
:idk:

It's common knowledge that Rectos only sound good loud, people still don't know this? It's pretty much the opposite of a bedroom amp (making it not the best amp for most HCAF members). Get a two channel Dual or Triple up past noon on the master, and
:love:

Yeah but I get great recorded tones at home with my dual. Its not cranked, just loud enough to piss off anyone in the house.

But if you're competing with a drummer, a recto doesn't even need a boost.

• Members

Rectos do midgain really well IMO
:idk:

It's common knowledge that Rectos only sound good loud, people still don't know this? It's pretty much the opposite of a bedroom amp (making it not the best amp for most HCAF members). Get a two channel Dual or Triple up past noon on the master, and
:love:

I don't even have to get that loud to fall in love when it's plugged into 4 greenbacks. I love my recto, even though I'm not an uber-gain guy and I don't boost it for anything other than tonal variations. I just replaced all of the tubes and damn near creamed my jeans on the first chord.

Archived