Any of you yahoos play jazz???

Lucius

• Members

Started taking Jazz lessons about three months ago. completely different mind set from my rock/metal background. The chords alone are kind of a bitch but its coming along. Now I find myself bandless, I'm gonna concentrate on my guitar playing at least till summer. oh yah, inbeforetheyoushouldlistentodjanko.

Got any good youtube videos of some of the standards??

Cheers, Lucius

• Members

get yourself a Real Book, find out where the nearest jazz jam is and go hang out. Just listen a few nights and eventually you'll get up enough nerve to ask to sit in. next thing you know................

nerve to ask? {censored} that. A great man once gave me some advice. Show up with an axe with a hockeystick for a headstock and a backpack full of boosts. plug in to their {censored}ty polytone and rip {censored}ing faces.

{censored} jazz, play leads.

• Members

Started taking Jazz lessons about three months ago. completely different mind set from my rock/metal background. The chords alone are kind of a bitch but its coming along. Now I find myself bandless, I'm gonna concentrate on my guitar playing at least till summer. oh yah, inbeforetheyoushouldlistentodjanko.

Got any good youtube videos of some of the standards??

Cheers, Lucius

Man, with my "chops," I'm not even allowed to say the word "jazz." ... Oh crap! :eek:

• Members

I did me some Music College emphasis on Jazz. I love it.

Its VERY applicable to metal one you start grasping how {censored} works. And once that idiom gets under your fingers its there to stay.

No wonder you shred bollocks. :rawk:

IMO, jazz theory can be applicable to everything in that it's much more about how you think about music, not necessarily your note choices or techniques. Basically, I'm not technically good enough to play much jazz, but I understand some of the theory and it has always influenced my playing and my approach to writing.

• Members

No wonder you shred bollocks.
:rawk:

IMO, jazz theory can be applicable to everything in that it's much more about how you think about music, not necessarily your note choices or techniques. Basically, I'm not technically good enough to play much jazz, but I understand some of the theory and it has always influenced my playing and my approach to writing.

Hehe..thanks.

You hit the nail on the head. It really opened my eyes. Showed me how to listen..which sounds {censored}ed up and is really hard to expain. The thing that really helped my writing was diatonic harmony. Once you get that you can pretty much get anywhere you want progression wise. It also gives you ideas on where to start melodically so leads are less guess work and more meaningful.

I think you probably are good enough to play Jazz. Anyone is. Its more about melody than shred. Alot of the cats like Methney, John Scofield, Jim Hall, and Mike Stern are gods so its not fair to compare yourself to them so much to say you cant do jazz.

• Members

Showed me how to listen..which sounds {censored}ed up and is really hard to expain. The thing that really helped my writing was diatonic harmony. Once you get that you can pretty much get anywhere you want progression wise. It also gives you ideas on where to start melodically so leads are less guess work and more meaningful.

I think you probably are good enough to play Jazz. Anyone is. Its more about melody than shred. Alot of the cats like Methney, John Scofield, Jim Hall, and Mike Stern are gods so its not fair to compare yourself to them so much to say you cant do jazz.

I've bolded, underlined, and red'd the portion that really hit home. To me its like I've been sprinting with my eyes closed until I started learning the jazz theory. Now I notice the {censored} I do actually makes sense. I do approach songs in a different manner as well and I've only been at it for 3 months. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

It's mainly about playing over the changes. Playing in one key doesn't often work in a lot of jazz songs. It helps to picture the chord shapes over the changes you are playing and use them as a guide to playing the right notes. A lot of study and practice help too. Practicing over a lot of ii-V-I progressions is a good starting point.

• Members

i was a jazz major in college... still do a handful of jazz gigs a year... depending on who is playing with me we try to throw at least a tune or two in on bar gigs and such... jazz and bluegrass are the two most advantageous styles to study imo. both beef up your technique like crazy. Jazz is so harmonically complex that it can be hard to make musical ideas happen that dont sound like mechanics. bluegrass is the exact opposite. the harmony is usually super straight ahead, so the challenge is to make something interesting happen over G C and D...

• Members

I cannot plat OR listen to jazz

I honestly don't get it

Maybe it is mostly for stoned people, my mind wants melody, tension and release and a conclusion, jazz seems to start anywhere, go anywhere anytime.

of corse I will be accused of lacking understanding, maybe that is true but I know what I like and what I don't like. One of my best friends and two of my sons are really into jazz so lack of exposure is not the problem.

• Members

I cannot plat OR listen to jazz

I honestly don't get it

Maybe it is stoned people only, my mind wants melody, tension and release and a conclusion, jazz seems to start anywhere, go anywhere and anytime.

i mean this kindly, but a lil bit of education as to song form would go a long way helping you see through some of it. and i rarely see drugs around jazzers...

• Members
i mean this kindly, but a lil bit of education as to song form would go a long way helping you see through some of it. and i rarely see drugs around jazzers...[/quote

I edited my post, hope that explains some things

i know that jazz is-difficult to play and takes extreme skill, I just don't care for the results. I also respect the musical tastes of others (I am outnumbered in my own home), but jazz is like reggae to me, I see the skill etc. etc.

• Members

its not about difficulty. understanding form would take away the "randomness" and such. for sounding so off the cuff and spontaneous, most elements of it are very intentional and structured.

Definately intentional and structured. Chords leading to chord changes .. The timing also seems random but the count is very square (at least from what I have been looking at so far "autumn leaves" lol). cheers, Lucius

Archived