Any of you yahoos play jazz???

Lucius

• Members

i mean this kindly, but a lil bit of education as to song form would go a long way helping you see through some of it. and i rarely see
drugs around jazzers

You might want to look into to what all the founders of Jazz got up to in their spare time.

The hardest part for me about Jazz is knowing that there's a language I don't fully understand, I've found it incredibly frustrating trying to figure out improv. It's not enough to know your substitutions or whatever, you have to assemble licks from all over the place, and then, unlike in rock, you have to know when you can actually use the licks. That being said, I love it.

• Members

You might want to look into to what all the founders of Jazz got up to in their spare time.

The hardest part for me about Jazz is knowing that there's a language I don't fully understand, I've found it incredibly frustrating trying to figure out improv. It's not enough to know your substitutions or whatever, you have to assemble licks from all over the place, and then, unlike in rock, you have to know when you can actually use the licks. That being said, I love it.

When i've tried to solo in the jazz, I basically just construct the licks out of the notes in the present chord. Occasionally I'll add a couple notes in the scale to ..um..jazz.. it up a bit but that seems to be a decent way. Changing grips on the fly is what is really the issue (apparently there are more than two ways to play an "A half diminished" ). Cheers, Lucius

• Members

My jazz teacher is super strict about fingering positions... the Paul Gilbert
3 note per string stuff absolutely does not fly in his class. That's really my
only complaint, his approach to rhythm playing opened up a lot of doors for me.

• Members

My jazz teacher is super strict about fingering positions... the Paul Gilbert

3 note per string stuff absolutely does not fly in his class. That's really my

only complaint, his approach to rhythm playing opened up a lot of doors for me.

Unfortunately there are still a lot of jazz nazis out there that think there is only one way to do things. It's a problem I've run into when I was in college and later when I was playing in combos.

Archived