fender: usa > custom shop by a mile

sleewell

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i've played a few custom shop fenders, and they were all consitently very good. However, not as good as some very good american models that i've tried, or as good as the strat that i have. I may be biased, since my strat is very familiar, and i can't imagine a strat feeling more comfortable. The custom shops strats i've played were basically on the same level of quality, but i can't see paying 3 to 4 times as much, unless i just had the cash lying around.

That said, if i did have the cash, you can bet i'd be ordering a guitar or two from the Fender Custom shop.

• Members

Worked on many a Fender and I disagree. Of the 120 or so non cheapy Fender guitars I've personally worked on, the USA Custom shop produces some outstanding instruments.

Whether or not it's worth the money is up to you; personally, I find the American Deluxe series to be more than up to the job in all situations.

• Members

As an owner of 2 USA strats and one mim Tele
I can easily say they are much better instruments than anything from the custom shop. I mean why spend all that extra money for the same guitar? Maybe some corksniffers can chime in, but be warned your opinion is wrong and will be mocked.

As an owner of 2 USA Strats and one MIM Tele, I don't see how you're qualified to speak to the quality of Fender Custom Shop instruments? :idk:

• Members

Never owned a Custom Shop Fender but from the Custom Shop guitars I have owned from others the attention to detail, playability, consistency and overall craftsmanship is so much better than standard production models. That doesn't always mean the Custom Shop model will sound better than some standard production models but most of the time they do.

• Members

I owned a really nice custom shop double humbucker strat, one of a limited run of 20 back in 2004, it was a beauty of a guitar, it sounded and played better than any standard or deluxe series i've ever felt and those are some fine guitars!

I havent played a guitar that good up until i got my Custom Vanquish built, the time and detailing spent on these guitars makes them a cut above standard production models.

• Members

Huge price tag or not. The Custom Shops arent neccesarilly better.

But geese what? you pay more for certain Specs? Features? and Appointment?

Ive played tons of Custom Shops and most if not all have been real great examples of what there supposed to imbody! Not that there great particularly great players but i find there a hit and miss as much as Americans. For the most part i dont really like american guitars, i just dont justify the $ when i could just modify a decent MIM with the same specs of an American and get a really good guitar!

When it comes to more expensive or Fenders that I consider "high-brow" the best and i feel, and not just for the money just the best period is the high end MIM stuff. More the Classic series and Classic player than deluxes.

Wood and hardware is just bomb and fit and finish impeccable.

Americans, Deluxe, Standard, Specials dont hold a candle in my opinion to the MIM re-issues if your looking for a vintage fender feel.

But now owning two MIM classic series re-issues, I look forward to finding an American Standard that is a real Gem!

If i had to chose between and MIM standard or a American standard the choice is easy and i would get and American.

But between a American Standard and a Classic Series MIM, i would mostly likely always go for the Classic Series or Classic Player. Just cause everytime i play one they just feel like the better quality instuments regardless of the mexico stigma. thats how i feel.

I dont ever think id get a Custom Shop, not cause it think there {censored}ty instruments or there not worth the money.......but lets be honest who has that kind of money to buy a 3-4k guitar without a care in the world and any consequences??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?

AND IF YOU DO, MORE POWER TO YOU!

OP is a hater!

• Members

I think its very possible to get standard run (high end models) guitars that match up to custom shop. I think some are exaggerating the differences here. They are all wood, have similar hardware and frets. The choice of wood should be a bit better from an appearance standpoint on a custom shop, but tonality wise its hard to completely predict the tone of a neck or body until you string her up for the first time. The frets should be better finished on a custom shop obviously. But if both guitars are level and well dressed the main difference should be in the fret ends. A custom shop should have a more rounded and hand finished end. The standard models prolly just get a fret end bevel. In the end this really won't affect playability too much, besides offering a little smoother feel up and down the neck. Also maybe the fretboard edges on a custom get a little more treatment, like hand rolling the edges, which again offers a little smoother feel.

And in the end I think if a standard production came off the line with a proper leveled frets, has the same quality bridge/ hardware and setup I think you can compare it to a custom guitar in playability and tone for sure. AS far as details and consistency, the custom should have a better percentage of great playing guitars straight away..

• Members

I've got a Crook Custom Tele that I would put against any CS Fender. Best playing guitar I have ever played, and still cost close to 800 dollars cheaper that the Fender Brand.

dude, go read neil's thread in the facebook group. look back at me. look at neil's thread in the facebook group. now back at me.

lulz.

• Members

I've owned about a dozen or so non-CS Stratocasters over the years: American Standards, American Custom, Mexican, Japanese...I also had two G&L Legacy's.

Some were great guitars, none came close to the two CS Strats I have now. The G&Ls were up there quality-wise but didn't feel as nice. To me, they are well worth the price.

• Members

fender american is making some really good stuff these days (2011/2012). hell, squier classic vibe stuff if pretty dang good (except for the weak pickups). i haven't played a CS fender that comes remotely close to suhr/melancon/anderson stuff.

surprisingly good at a great price point: squier classic vibe

great guitar all around with not much weakness at a good price point: fender american standard

Archived