This is why Walmart is winning.

Crunchtime

• Members

There's some people in here who have no {censored}ing clue how retail works.

Manufacturer>Vendor>Retailer (Walmart)>Customer.

Those of you who think that the brands that Walmart sells (excluding their store brands, which I think is called "Mainstays") are any different than those from Target, Best Buy, Costco, whatever. You would be dead wrong.

"American components, Russian components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN."

Seriously, all Walmart does is sell.

Uh, this isn't true.

Take tires, for instance. There are basically three grades of the same model of tire from the same brand. Have you ever gone to a grocery store and seen grade A beans, and also grade B beans, etc? Same goes for tires. If you think, "Oh, I need new tires and I see that Kal-Tire has a model for $300 dollars (just, throwing out numbers) and Wal-Mart has the same model/same brand for $225 you are not getting the same tire.

Toothpaste? Oh, ya. Dinner ware? Of, course. But fruit/vegetables, tires, fabrics, power tools? No, not the same.

Hell, power tools are COMPLETELY different from store to store with even the same model number on the box. Go to Home Depot and look for a Makita power drill set and check the model. Now go to a specialty tools store (eg. KMS Tools), look for the same model and notice that the two are entirely different.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sometimes, Wally World just has the best price, plain and simple . . . and sometimes, it's not even close. I go to the shooting range with a couple of co-workers now and then, and the same box of ammo that Gander Mountain sells for $40, Wal-wart sells for $28. That's messed up. I mean, I realize that Gander overcharges on a lot of things, but $35-40 is the going rate for this stuff, and Walfalla is always the cheapest. And although their customer service is the retail equivalent of the Special Olympics for 23 hours out of any given day, most stores are doing their damnedest to come down to the same level.

• Members

Sometimes, Wally World just has the best price, plain and simple . . . and sometimes, it's not even close. I go to the shooting range with a couple of co-workers now and then, and the same box of ammo that Gander Mountain sells for $40, Wal-wart sells for $28. That's messed up. I mean, I realize that Gander overcharges on a lot of things, but $35-40 is the going rate for this stuff, and Walfalla is always the cheapest. And although their customer service is the retail equivalent of the Special Olympics for 23 hours out of any given day, most stores are doing their damnedest to come down to the same level.

They shaved $12 per box off by cutting health insurance, employee wages and customer service. When your company decides to take that stuff from you, in order to keep up with the lowest bidder, you can feel happy knowing someone out there is getting a deal at your expense.

I know, I know. Going shooting is mandatory, and it's not like you could just go less often. Spare me.

• Members

They shaved $12 per box off by cutting health insurance, employee wages and customer service. When your company decides to take that stuff from you, in order to keep up with the lowest bidder, you can feel happy knowing someone out there is getting a deal at your expense.

I know, I know. Going shooting is mandatory, and it's not like you could just go less often. Spare me.

I'd agree with this except most retail stores are pretty much the same. When I was younger I never worked at wal-mart but I worked as a retail grunt several places. I didn't get benefits. I got paid as low as possible. People were still stupid, and customer service was still essentially non existent. People had no reason to go above and beyond as there was no benefit to doing so. Then on the flip side you have jobs where sales do mean commission and then you are just bombarded by some asshole that wants to sell you whatever makes him the most not what you need so customer service goes out the door again. Wal-mart is bull{censored} but so are the majority of its competitors.

• Members

I'd agree with this except most retail stores are pretty much the same. When I was younger I never worked at wal-mart but I worked as a retail grunt several places. I didn't get benefits. I got paid as low as possible. People were still stupid, and customer service was still essentially non existent. People had no reason to go above and beyond as there was no benefit to doing so. Then on the flip side you have jobs where sales do mean commission and then you are just bombarded by some asshole that wants to sell you whatever makes him the most not what you need so customer service goes out the door again. Wal-mart is bull{censored} but so are the majority of its competitors.

How old were you? I mean I had friends that worked at Best Buy... when I was in high school. Got paid the same {censored} we all did back then.

Wal Mart caps hours of their employees to prevent having to pay benefits. They also treat their employees like {censored}. Adults that need insurance like the rest of us.

but I can't argue about their competitors. you're right, they're probably just as bad. however, I had a couple relatives in small towns get run out of their pharmacy jobs when Wal Mart moved in and shut down all the local shops. Then they had to go work at Wal Mart as pharmacists, and got screwed. fraction of their original salary, no benefits, and 60-70yo experienced people being talked down to for trying to work hard.

I'd rather just shop elsewhere with my money. I refuse to step foot in wally world. if I experience similar from other companies, I'll stop shopping there as well.

• Members

How old were you? I mean I had friends that worked at Best Buy... when I was in high school. Got paid the same {censored} we all did back then.

Wal Mart caps hours of their employees to prevent having to pay benefits. They also treat their employees like {censored}. Adults that need insurance like the rest of us.

but I can't argue about their competitors. you're right, they're probably just as bad. however, I had a couple relatives in small towns get run out of their pharmacy jobs when Wal Mart moved in and shut down all the local shops. Then they had to go work at Wal Mart as pharmacists, and got screwed. fraction of their original salary, no benefits, and 60-70yo experienced people being talked down to for trying to work hard.

I'd rather just shop elsewhere with my money. I refuse to step foot in wally world. if I experience similar from other companies, I'll stop shopping there as well.

I was in my teens but they did the same to me and the older people that worked there as well. 31 hours or something and then I couldn't get benefits. Then they'd call you in regularly if needed but since you weren't regularly scheduled you were still considered part time even though you'd hit close to 40 hours a week. I agree walmart is bull{censored} but all of those stores are. Best Buy, Wal-Mart, fast food etc. All the same {censored} with a different sign.

• Members

For their store brands, yes.

But for already established brands (Hamilton Beach, Crest Toothpaste, Iams dog food, etc.) it's the same stuff. Walmart only controls how much they buy, which is the only factor that reduces the price.

What irritates me is when someone returns a product to a retail store instead if calling the manufacturer when it's defective.

You're wrong...

I was looking at TV's... They had a Sony TV that was virtually identical to the one I saw at Best Buy, except it was missing the HDMI input (this was back when HDMI was relatively new) and had a slightly different model number. Other than that same box, same overall "model" just a letter inserted where a number was in the other one. It was also $100 cheaper than the sale price at Best Buy.

• Members

You're wrong...

I was looking at TV's... They had a Sony TV that was virtually identical to the one I saw at Best Buy, except it was missing the HDMI input (this was back when HDMI was relatively new) and had a slightly different model number. Other than that same box, same overall "model" just a letter inserted where a number was in the other one. It was also $100 cheaper than the sale price at Best Buy.

But you're missing the point here. Walmart, nor Best Buy, Target etc. does any of the manufacturing, design, or distribution of the product. That's Sony, Toshiba, etc. Most times, like Abstract said, Sony tells The retailer how much they will sell the product for based on how many the retailer is willing to buy. Walmart buys a lot, so they can retail for lower prices.

And to anybody who thinks Walmart treats their employees any different than other big box retailers, you're dead wrong. I know about a dozen people who quit their retail jobs they had previously in order to go to Walmart because they pay and treatment is better.

• Members

And to anybody who thinks Walmart treats their employees any different than other big box retailers, you're dead wrong. I know about a dozen people who quit their retail jobs they had previously in order to go to Walmart because they pay and treatment is better.

I'm sorry but that just doesn't fit with what I have been told by the internet :confused:

• Members

But you're missing the point here. Walmart, nor Best Buy, Target etc. does any of the manufacturing, design, or distribution of the product. That's Sony, Toshiba, etc. Most times, like Abstract said, Sony tells The retailer how much they will sell the product for based on how many the retailer is willing to buy. Walmart buys a lot, so they can retail for lower prices.

Going to work at Walmart because they treat you better than some other big box store is like choosing to have your balls put in a vice because it doesn't hurt as much as hacking your penis off with a spoon.

• Members

I'm honestly wondering how much of that has to do with the drug trade. Crackheads take those tire gauges, rip the guts out of them, hollow them out, and use them as crack pipes.

I didn't realize this until some 60 something year old man called the other day cause he got arrested for paraphernalia for having a tire pressure gauge. Kinda blew my mind.

• Members

I'd bet, that the smaller, specialty-auto stores, and even the NAPAs and Pep-Boys, make a GOOD PERCENTAGE of their profits on the accessories like tire gauges. Meaning...they HAVE to sell tires and batteries and bigger ticket items at a competitive price...because folks comparison shop for that {censored}. A tire gauge and wiper fluid are items you grab while going to check out... so they try to recoup on those.

When I sold Pro-Audio gear, we made next to no money on consoles or high-end microphones. Mic and speaker cables kept the doors open.

• Members

I'd bet, that the smaller, specialty-auto stores, and even the NAPAs and Pep-Boys, make a GOOD PERCENTAGE of their profits on the accessories like tire gauges. Meaning...they HAVE to sell tires and batteries and bigger ticket items at a competitive price...because folks comparison shop for that {censored}. A tire gauge and wiper fluid are items you grab while going to check out... so they try to recoup on those.

When I sold Pro-Audio gear, we made next to no money on consoles or high-end microphones. Mic and speaker cables kept the doors open.

I think you may be on to something.

• Members
Sort-of.

Walmart sets either the cost or the retail. The supplier sets the other.

example.

Walmart says I want to sell your tire gauge for $0.97...the supplier then gives Walmart a price. Which Walmart may or may not accept.

OR...the supplier says I want you to sell our tire gauge for $0.97...Walmart then tells them the cost they need to provide it at. Which the supplier may or may not accept.

OR...the supplier says I need to sell this tire gauge to you for $0.50...Walmart then determines the Retail price. (Most likely scenario)

OR...Walmart says I need you to sell these tire gauges to me for $0.50...then the supplier then has leeway with regards to pricing or promotion. (we'll sell them to you for that price...but we need endcaps and displays in all stores for 6 weeks to move enough product to justify that cost) (Happens often with "rollback" merchandise)

But then after that you're correct. Walmart will actually bring suppliers together to maximize benefit for everyone.

Another example is a candle manufacturer. The brand was well known and shoppers wanted that particular brand. Walmart told them the cost they needed to hit...the supplier couldn't hit that with current manufacture techniques and materials so Walmart found them a new parafin supplier which COULD get them quality product at a cost which allowed them to produce and sell candles at the determined cost to Walmart.

Is it right or wrong?

You don't have to play the game.

2roqrtw.gif

• Members

Going to work at Walmart because they treat you better than some other big box store is like choosing to have your balls put in a vice because it doesn't hurt as much as hacking your penis off with a spoon.

you say that like people have a choice anymore.

Archived