Is this a possible project?

daklander

• Members

It could work with enough time and money. Early amps were pretty much adapted radio circuits.

Do you know enough about electronics to make this happen though. What kind of tubes are in that radio, and are they still available?

• Members

I'll pull the tubes and look, or the types may be listed on the diagram. Un-fortunately I there is no schematic I can find within the housing.

Electronics, it's been a long time with this kind of stuff but years ago did attend school for radio/television.

• Members

No! do not pursue this!!!!

There is a huge safety issue and a technical issue.

If the radio has no transformer, that means it has no isolation from the power line. That means that the "ground" of the radio is connected *directly* to one side of the power line. Your guitar will be connected to this same ground. Now, in theory, a grounded plug (or even a polarized plug - one with one blade wider than the other) would mean that your guitar would be connected to the "cold" side of the power line. However, if the circuit you are plugged into is wired incorrrectly, your guitar will be connected to the "hot" side of the line and when you touch it with one hand, and anything thing else that is grounded with the other hand, you've just made a nice conductive path from 120V to ground. Worse yet - the current path goes straight through your heart.

Is every outlet you'll ever plug into wired correctly? Want to bet your life on it?

The reason they could get away with this in old radios and TVs was that all of the circuitry was enclosed in plastic or wood with no conductive (metallic) path to the user.

The technical issue you'd run into is that the heaters of the tubes are wired in series so that the total voltage required is 120V. You'd have to keep all the tubes (and add none).

• Members

No! do not pursue this!!!!

There is a huge safety issue and a technical issue.

OK, that's kind of what I thought 'cause it seems somewhere along the line I've heard that before, & that's why I'm asking.

So you're saying with this layout there would be no way to add a ground to the circuit?

If that's the case, of course I'll toss that idea into the trash can.

• Members

I used to mess with old AM radios when I was a kid. The output transforners that stepped the 70 volts or so down to handel an 8 ohm speaker were usually mounted on the speaker itself.

You need to disconnect the radio signal coming into the preamp tube. You can tap an input to the amp from the same point or the volume control itself. Problem is the amp circuits are so pitifully weak they wont drive a guitar without preamp mods/additions, Also you still have all the RF circuitry running which is a waste.

To get around the grounding issue you can use an old trick used make a guitar safe from grounding. You put a hi uf cap between the frame and the inputs ground. You may get a tingle with a bad ground but not enough amps to kill.

If youre into modding though you'd be better off finding an old tube hi fi or bogen like tube amp to modify. They need different caps to be revoiced for guitar but you'll be left with a few more watts to drive a speaker decently.

Archived