Best Metal Bass Guitars?

Chrisjd

• Members

Hi guys. I am looking at picking up a bass guitar but I am trying to stay within a budget of sub $700. I get a nice discount on certain brands such as: Schecter, Yamaha, Warwick, Spector, Dean, and a few others.

So, far I am liking the looks of the Spectors and Schecters 5 strings.

I am wondering, what would you consider to better for heavier styles? I don't want to swap pickups, so I want something that has that "KERRANG" sound to it, real crisp and punchy.

What would your recommendation be?

Here are two models I am looking at...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Schecter+-+Stiletto+Custom+5-String+Full-Size+Electric+Bass+Guitar+-+Vampyer+Red/9524286.p?id=1218119806178&skuId=9524286

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Spector+-+Legend+Classic+Series+5-String+Full-Size+Electric+Bass+Guitar+-+Natural/3646334.p?id=1218422887067&skuId=3646334

• Members
  • Members

That's a pretty bold claim.

And I wouldn't say entirely inaccurate. :lol: Precision, Jazz, MM, Soapbar....all have very different and extremely distinct tones.

To the OP, crispy and punchy absolutely SCREAMS MusicMan Stingray to me. The 5'ers allow you to switch between series and parallel as well, parallel giving you the aforementioned punch and crispiness with the series giving you more thickness and less crisp. They are however difficult to find around $700, not impossible though.

Another favorite for aggressive pick style metal playing is the older Fender Deluxe P-basses that have the humbucker in the bridge.

• Members

And I wouldn't say entirely inaccurate.
:lol:
Precision, Jazz, MM, Soapbar....all have very different and extremely distinct tones.

To the OP, crispy and punchy absolutely SCREAMS MusicMan Stingray to me. The 5'ers allow you to switch between series and parallel as well, parallel giving you the aforementioned punch and crispiness with the series giving you more thickness and less crisp. They are however difficult to find around $700, not impossible though.

Another favorite for aggressive pick style metal playing is the older Fender Deluxe P-basses that have the humbucker in the bridge.

What about those new Sterling by Music Man stingrays? I've heard good things but haven't tried one myself. I'm pretty much a P Bass fanboy.

• Members

Truf

What about those new Sterling by Music Man stingrays? I've heard good things but haven't tried one myself. I'm pretty much a P Bass fanboy.

Never played one so I can't comment, but they seem to compare favorably to their American counterparts (The Sterlings are made in Indonesia).

• Members

They are however difficult to find around $700, not impossible though.

Amazon occasionally has the Ray35 on sale for ~$600.

An alternative to Fender's older Deluxe P. Schecter_Diamond-P_Custom_5_VWHTMedium.j

The Fender one was active where Schecter's is passive. It sounds like a P with 2 single coils in the bridge.

Archived