OT: Car Sales Career?

kool98769

• Members

Finish school

High pressure, long hours, not steady pay.

I did it for 3 months. It was horrible. I worked from 9am to 8pm Monday through Saturday. Everybody there was a complete scumbag. You need a job for $12+ /hr? You very well may not get that for weeks on end at a dealership.

I couldn't get out fast enough.

• Members

Well, the only life i'm planning on having outside of my job is band.

Why do you say you don't think it would be a good job? Because car sales is commission based, and i'd be at a disadvantage for lack of experience?

My singer is a finance manager at a car dealership.

He's also worked sales, recently, at a Harley dealership.

As sales, you have to judge a person quickly on what they're after, otherwise they can eat up your time. You also get straight commission, or a very basic salary, and have a quota to meet to get a bonus check. The Toyota dealership I bought our Camry, I talked to the sales guy at length due to my "inside" knowledge from my singer, and found out that he had to sell 10 cars before he would get a 3K bonus - if he sold 20 cars in a month he'd get a 10K bonus, and, if one sales guy talks to you first, then sends you to someone else - they split the sale - meaning the first guy really has to do nothing to get .5 sold...which counts towards the quota.

As for my singer - working at the HD dealership, he didn't sell much. Try as he might, he wasn't the right personality for the clients...he knew it, they knew it, and so on. He'd been a finance manager for years before then, so he got used to having to be blunt with people...

Now he's a finance manager again, and he works 5 days a week, from 9AM to 9PM. His only days off are Wednesday and Sunday. Even then, he feels it's better for him to be there on Wednesday, so he can keep up with all the paperwork, and get more deals done...which in turn does cut him a better check at the end of the month.

Working in a band, plus doing what he does...is simply too much stress.

If you want to make money at it...enough to live on...then you pretty much are required to not have a life...your job is the life.

• Members

I used to be a sales manager in another industry, and I hired a number of former car salesmen. All of them told me that the real money lies in selling used cars, and only the more experienced salespeople get those jobs. According to them, used cars have more profit and most people with credit problems have to purchase used. A customer with credit problems meant more of a bonus from secondary financing through the dealership, which usually involved an interest rate of 15% or higher.

All of the guys I hired made good money and had been in car sales for 20 plus years. They were the best employees I had. I determined car sales was so grueling and tough that what they did for my company was a walk in the park (that paid better too).

• Members

i actually enjoyed going car shopping with my step dad. he'd drive them crazy. Spend like hours there and make them stay late thinking they were gonna sell it and then he'd be like "gotta ask my wife" and start to leave and they'd come running and we'd be there for another hour only for him to not buy anything.. :lol:

• Members

OP: don't listen to these fuckers. They're just jealous because you will sell Fieros and they won't.

Don't forget to offer free donuts with the purchase. It makes a difference.

Success is now within reach.

fucking this

gotdammit, the OP was born to sell Fieros. Shit would be a sweet gig, and no more wasting money on college! It's not like the first 3 years were a great investment.

• Members

All of them told me that the real money lies in selling used cars

That is correct. At the dealership that I worked for, you got a flat rate of $100 per new car sold (differs greatly per dealer). Amount of new cars I sold? 0

The used cars all had a price high enough to easily get $1000+ per sale if it was sold for the asking price, which it never was. Give them $100 off the price, and you get $100 less in your paycheck. If you find some moron that has no clue about what they're doing and you know they will pay whatever you tell them, jack up the price and make more money. I never did it, but I know salespeople that did.

• Members

Ok i'll bite on this one. I retired at the end of 2010 and always wanted to see what car sales was like. I had never had any sales experience before coming from a construction background, but I found a decent dealership and went to work. I sold a car my first day on the floor and made $2300.00 my third weekend in the business. You can make decent money at the right dealership but be prepared to spend alot of hours doing it. The two worst things are the other salespeople that will stab you in the back even while you're looking ( I had to threaten violence and mean it more than once) and customers who think they have to lie, cheat, steal, and generaly be a**holes inorder to get a good deal. Most would'nt a good deal if it bit them! On the flip side if you can learn to deal with the down sides of the buisness, learn to build value in your product, have a great work ethic and can stay upbeat through all the BS it can be a great job! I say give it a try and see what it is like! One last word of advice try to learn from the guy with his name on the salesman of the wall the most!

Pretty much this. My nephew has "great people skills" and got a job selling cars. He does make a lot of money WHEN business is good. 6 or 7 days a week. And like was said, it's like a pack of dogs. He found out very early that if another salesman came over and "chatted" with you during a sale, they would get half the commission. So he learned to "growl" and stake out his territory.