OT: Car Sales Career?

kool98769

• Members

It's been forever since i've been back in here! Hopefully you guys are still as helpful as I remember (only half sarcasm haha)

So basically, I'm going to be taking a break from school, I'll explain below.

But Basically, I've got 3 years of college under my belt, no degree, and I need a full-time job that's going to be paying between $12+ per hour. Sounds like a ridiculous thing to ask, but I don't really have a problem doing hard fucking work if it's making my dream come true. I've already worked in an aluminum foundry for a summer where it was about 120 degrees every day, and I survived just fine.

Now, i've got very good people skills. I'm good at reading people's body language, and if I know what i'm talking about, I could talk for days about it.

I'm also good at getting people to befriend me. I literally can only think of a few people that would have anything bad to say about me.

I'm descent looking, white, have all my teeth, I'm not overweight or anything.

I have a pretty rounded work experience, but no experience in sales or retail, but I did work at a call center where I called college alumni and had to ask for donations.

Which brings me to my next topic.

Given that I can learn a few tips and tricks,

Do you think (doing your best judgement with the information I gave you) I would have a chance at being a descent car salesman?

Are there any car salesmen out there who can contribute information about this type of stuff?

Anyone else have any ideas for other things to look into?

• Members

i sold cars for a year.

i didn't like it because i worked about 60 hours a week. 6/7 days a week. it was straight commission.

plus being shitted on all day by sales managers.

no work/life balance

since you never had a job in sales. i don't think this would be a good job for you.

• Members

i sold cars for a year.

i didn't like it because i worked about 60 hours a week. 6/7 days a week. it was straight commission.

plus being shitted on all day by sales managers.

no work/life balance

since you never had a job in sales. i don't think this would be a good job for you.

Well, the only life i'm planning on having outside of my job is band.

Why do you say you don't think it would be a good job? Because car sales is commission based, and i'd be at a disadvantage for lack of experience?

• Members

Well, the only life i'm planning on having outside of my job is band.

Why do you say you don't think it would be a good job? Because car sales is commission based, and i'd be at a disadvantage for lack of experience?

well, i cant really say that it is not a right fit for you since i dont know you.

it is good that you worked in a call center since you will be doing cold calls trying to get older abandoned clients who prev bought from that dealership to refinance or upgrade their vehicle.

lots of marketing stuff to build up you base. first starting off with your friends and family

• Members

well, i cant really say that it is not a right fit for you since i dont know you.

it is good that you worked in a call center since you will be doing cold calls trying to get older abandoned clients who prev bought from that dealership to refinance or upgrade their vehicle.

lots of marketing stuff to build up you base. first starting off with your friends and family

How did you do money-wise in the year you worked there?

• Members

Ok i'll bite on this one. I retired at the end of 2010 and always wanted to see what car sales was like. I had never had any sales experience before coming from a construction background, but I found a decent dealership and went to work. I sold a car my first day on the floor and made $2300.00 my third weekend in the business. You can make decent money at the right dealership but be prepared to spend alot of hours doing it. The two worst things are the other salespeople that will stab you in the back even while you're looking ( I had to threaten violence and mean it more than once) and customers who think they have to lie, cheat, steal, and generaly be a**holes inorder to get a good deal. Most would'nt a good deal if it bit them! On the flip side if you can learn to deal with the down sides of the buisness, learn to build value in your product, have a great work ethic and can stay upbeat through all the BS it can be a great job! I say give it a try and see what it is like! One last word of advice try to learn from the guy with his name on the salesman of the wall the most!

• Members

every person ive known that sells cars has one life..and that is @ the dealership. Most of them have "issues" from substances to relationship.

If you want to do sales get into software / hardware sales. Find a good consultancy firm and get in the door. You'll probably make more money and the good thing your not selling 24/7 unless you want to.

• Members

Sales is a tough gig to get into, especially when you first start off. Typically you make nothing to start, and have to build up clientele from there, aside from the occasionally drop of luck...which won't happen often since the people who have seniority over you are going to get treated better.

There's plenty of jobs out there where you can make a lot more, and have steady pay, for the amount of hours you put into being in sales.

I'm a personal trainer, who may as well be in sales doing what i do...I love my job for the most part, it's a passion of mine, I believe in the product I sell with all my heart, and I can provide dozens of personal references who say training with me is money well spent. It's still TOUGH to make ends meat doing what I do, I couldn't imagine slinging used cars that I don't have the some belief behind.

• Members

Friend of mine tried out the car sales thing. He said that he managers were super easy going (probably not the norm) but the other salesmen were true snakes. I've done sales for many years so dealing with snakes is just something to be expected. If school doesn't feel right don't force yourself....

One of my best friends has 3 cars and 2 houses and he didn't even finish high school. Hard work and finding what you like to do seems to be where the payoff is.... and if finding what you like to do means a profession that you can only get through schooling that's the way to go. I disagree with people who say it's the only way though

• Members

you have 1 more year of college and then you can get a real/decent (The Descent was actually an awright flick :o) job. if you've made it that far, don't quit now. car salesmen are like personal injury lawyers who can't bill you $450/hr or get you out of a DUI.

• Members

you should only sell Pontiac Fieros. I heard there is a market for them.

I can see what kind of day it's going to be. :lol:

I agree with the others about finishing school, that degree will make a world of difference as far as jobs go, and I also agree that it's really not a good job to get into.

• Members

3 years in and he wants to be a car salesman. Coupled with his awesome writing skills...

Guis, I think he chose wisely. No sense in wasting valuable classroom space.

:lol:

This thread makes no sense. Anyone with half a brain can get a job making $12 an hour. That's not even $25k salary.

Get a better job. I'm in software sales and make a good chunk more than that, and have a good work environment.