Fractal just released a preview of their "Tone Matching" capability.

soilent

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

match EQ. PA speakers (if that's what is used for amplification) have differing responses/designs. If using a patch/model made with a reference EQ you still have to tweak it for that system.

Yeah I know what that is...

I mean...

Why are you even saying that?

Cool until you have to play back on different systems.

It is plainly obvious, and not a huge deal :lol:

We match the EQ to album tones. Albums we have already listened to on Ipod phones, tiny computer speakers, nice stereo systems, our cars, etc.

Would you have made the comment about an album? :cop:

• Members

That's what my drummer says about SD, SSD, EZD, BFD etc.

These modeling units have always been marketed and sold on their ability to get "that" artist sound.

True, and I suppose I'm a bit of a hypocrite for saying that because I do use SSD....but I dunno guitar tone just seems to be much more of a personal thing to me. The Kemper amp copying other amps tones is one thing, but copying a pre-recorded isolated guitar track that was played by someone else just seems infinitely more lame.

• Members

I think you guys are missing a point a bit. It's not about copying this or that. I think what this tells us is that there's a continuing process of evolution taking place with the digital devices. It sure is a good thing. Modellers ( and specifically axe-fx ) have come a long way. Remember how {censored}ty the first processors sounded?

If it doesn't keep your caulk perpendicular, well {censored}, play a tube amp. Luckily, there are tons out there.

• Members

Cool until you have to play back on different systems. I did the match EQ thing and it kind of works. You will have very different results on different playback monitors and PA's. Plus you need high quality iso tracks as a reference. Neat feature though. More of a novelty.

Every time I played my amp through someone else's PA it sounded different out front. I had to go to the board and let the guy know how I wanted my EQ. Mic placement, board, speakers, room...it all came in to play. Same thing with snax. My monitors will always sound great but I still check out front to see if I need to EQ the mains...which I now do from my snax instead of bugging PA guy. I rarely change anything though as luckily most of the PAs I play through are pretty high end.

Non-issue for me.

As to getting tones off of records? I dial in my own but wouldn't mind have Billy G's tone from some of ZZ albums or a perfect Sultans of Swing tone for grins.

• Members

'nuther one:

http://soundcloud.com/fractalaudio/lime-like-preview-of-tone

Notes from soundcloud:

Here's how this works. You dial in the Axe-Fx as close as you can. Here I took the default Plexi, put a tube screamer in front, opened up the low end a little. 2 minutes. You play the audio clip into the Axe-Fx, (here the first 9 seconds of "Limelight" by Rush), then play your guitar so the Tone Match can get a reference. Push the ENTER button and it's done!

• Members

'nuther one:

Notes from soundcloud:

Here's how this works. You dial in the Axe-Fx as close as you can. Here I took the default Plexi, put a tube screamer in front, opened up the low end a little. 2 minutes. You play the audio clip into the Axe-Fx, (here the first 9 seconds of "Limelight" by Rush), then play your guitar so the Tone Match can get a reference. Push the ENTER button and it's done!

so what about the total n00b that has no {censored}ing clue what amp, pedals etc were used for that tone? How will they be able to get to match that sound? the kemper profiling seems much easier.

• Members

so what about the total n00b that has no {censored}ing clue what amp, pedals etc were used for that tone? How will they be able to get to match that sound? the kemper profiling seems much easier.

Here's what I would do if I were a total noob.....I'd down load all the other guys work. There will be a ton of uploads from guys who love doing that {censored}. Just use those. I'll try to do some myself but prolly DL others and {censored} them up to my liking.

PS: The ones I do myself will be just clones of really good clips of raw amps I have heard and liked. A lot by guys here. Keiffer had some and so do a lot of you.

• Members

'nuther one:

Notes from soundcloud:

Wow. I know my Rush, and that sounds pretty f'ing good.

• Members
From their Facebook page:

"In the very near future the Axe-FX II will feature a new block called "Tone Match" that allows you to emulate the sound of your favorite recorded guitar tracks. This will be like getting an expensive VST plugin in the form of a free firmware update for your Axe-FX II! Here is a quick preview of the capabilities."

http://soundcloud.com/adammcook/evh-match-attempt

Personally, the whole Kemper/ amp copying thing isn't really a big deal to me, but I'd like to get you guys' take on it.

Maybe it's just me, but that clip sounds nothing the EVH's tone from VH I and II :idk:

• Members

There is some sort of weird digital sheen going on with the AxeFX clip, and it is not from any type of compression to Soundclick (I have heard plenty of soundclick files which do not have that weird sheen.)

Also, the playing is mediocre.

• Members

There is some sort of weird digital sheen going on with the AxeFX clip, and it is not from any type of compression to Soundclick (I have heard plenty of soundclick files which do not have that weird sheen.)

Also, the playing is mediocre.

And don't forget to add how much you hate Cliff again or post that whole big pile of {censored} about the mods at TGP to help clarify your point. :)

• Members

Thanks for reminding me.

As some, but not all, HC users may know, a TGP moderator routinely sings the praises of Fractal Audio and its flagship product. This same moderator popped up on HCFX and, based on some alleged problems he was having at his forum, offered TGP users IP addresses to Phil (the HCFX moderator). This was done in hopes that Phil would cross-check the IP addresses and ban any HCFX users who were perceived to be problematic posters at TGP.

Phil, being a rational person, did not act on this offer.

What is telling about the event is the mod from TGP made this offer publicly through a post in thread. One must ask why he did not email or IM Phil?

Okay, the playing wasn't bad, but the person who played in that clip is an AxeFX user and, by default, a worthy target of derision.

• Members

instead of matching some artists tone from a youtube clip how 'bout record a dry clip & wet clip through some target amp with the tone you like.

reamp the dry clip through axefx getting as close as you can to the target using the model of choice. then tone match to get the last x% or so.

Archived