Fractal just released a preview of their "Tone Matching" capability.

soilent

• Members

From their Facebook page:

"In the very near future the Axe-FX II will feature a new block called "Tone Match" that allows you to emulate the sound of your favorite recorded guitar tracks. This will be like getting an expensive VST plugin in the form of a free firmware update for your Axe-FX II! Here is a quick preview of the capabilities."

http://soundcloud.com/adammcook/evh-match-attempt

Personally, the whole Kemper/ amp copying thing isn't really a big deal to me, but I'd like to get you guys' take on it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If that seriously just came from simply playing the track through without a whole lot of fidgeting then that's amazing. Pan the 'verb and the guitar apart like it is on the record and you're basically there. Wonder how well it works at matching guitars when it's a full band and not an isolated guitar track for reference.

• Members

If that seriously just came from simply playing the track through without a whole lot of fidgeting then that's amazing. Pan the 'verb and the guitar apart like it is on the record and you're basically there. Wonder how well it works at matching guitars when it's a full band and not an isolated guitar track for reference.

It has to be an isolated track.

• Members

So wait, does the Kemper do that from a track as well, or just from a real amp?

I usually revel in the butthurt and back and forth over the snax, but I must say, that is pretty cool.

Also, I wonder how it handles multitracked guitars, like, if a tone was recorded using multiple amps?

• Members

These different amp models have to get into the AxeFX somehow. Maybe Cliff is just opening that up to the end user instead of having that part exclusive to himself. Like it's not really a new feature, just something that the user has been locked out of until now.

• Members

This. You use existing "in the ball park" models then snatch the EQ off the clip. Same as Isotope I think but internal.

Cool until you have to play back on different systems. I did the match EQ thing and it kind of works. You will have very different results on different playback monitors and PA's. Plus you need high quality iso tracks as a reference. Neat feature though. More of a novelty.

• Members

Cool until you have to play back on different systems. I did the match EQ thing and it kind of works. You will have very different results on different playback monitors and PA's. Plus you need high quality iso tracks as a reference. Neat feature though. More of a novelty.

What are you talking about?

• Members

I think that's pretty {censored}ing lame honestly. What ever happened to creating your own unique sound?

Let's just continue to homogenize music until everyone sounds exactly the same.

That's what my drummer says about SD, SSD, EZD, BFD etc.

These modeling units have always been marketed and sold on their ability to get "that" artist sound.

Archived