Is the Ibanez Wizard II neck really that bad?

spawnofthesith

• Members

I have an S470. I tried to get rid of it at different times over the years because the neck feels funky; it seems just a bit wider than I prefer and has a wide U shape I don't dig. I also hate Floyds and occasionally bang my hand on the locking nut.

My '08 MiM strat feels much more comfortable to me. But I recently put the bottom 6 of a pack of 7 strings on it and tuned it to B, and it seems it may be pretty cool for it. Because of some finish cracks on the body near the knobs, I've never been able to get a good offer on it. If I don't end up using it much with the current setup I might possibly end up sanding the neck into a more shallow C shape someday.

• Members

It just depends on your own hands, technique and preference. I have a 7 string with the Wizard II-7 neck and it isn't my favorite thing in the world. It's super wide and flat, which does start to feel uncomfortable to me after a while. On a 6 string Wizard II I would probably be fine, but I do tend to prefer a bit thicker necks. That said, I do not have the most proper technique and tend to wrap my hand around the neck.

Just go play one, ya dingus.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQASfChzT-AaLhRYCcAUpF

• Members

I think the reason I like ibanez necks (the ones I've tried) is the flat radius, the thickness of the neck isn't that critical to me nor is width at the nut, though I imagine there are some necks I won't like for those qualities. Anyway it seems like thin necks should really be fine if you play with your thumb on the back of the neck, if you have another style it's not so clear.

• Members

I think the reason I like ibanez necks (the ones I've tried) is the flat radius, the thickness of the neck isn't that critical to me nor is width at the nut, though I imagine there are some necks I won't like for those qualities. Anyway it seems like thin necks should really be fine if you play with your thumb on the back of the neck, if you have another style it's not so clear.

I really like the old RG neck I have. It's definitely different than the S series wizard II neck, and I play using the thumb on the back. I don't mind some necks that are a little thick. I don't think the neck is too thick but dislike the shape of the back. If I end up sanding it down, which admittedly probably won't be any time soon :D, I'll post my thoughts on the results.

• Members

In my experience you can get used to necks either thinner or fatter than what you are accustomed to in a pretty short amount of time. After a week or so if you still can't get along with a neck it's time to move on.

But a blanket statement like that doesn't make any sense.

• Members

I have an early 90's Universe and the Wizard neck on that is pretty thin. I love it. Fast forward to last year and I got me a new Ibby with a Wizard II and the damned thing feels chunky. Like chunkier than a standard C shape, which to me feels thinner. I guess it just boils down to what feels comfy to ya. Plus a bit of sanding can make a world of a difference.

• Members

I have a superwizard, which is a wizard with better finishing. I have warmoth fatback, 59 round back, carvin holdsworth (feels like a bigger,fatter wizard), fender american standard. I can get used to all but the fatback rather easily. I tend to go for thicker necks in general, but i LOVE my ibby wizard.

• Members

Used to have an RG470 with a Wizard II. Wasn't my favourite neck, but it certainly wasn't awful or anything. Felt a bit chunkier than a Wizard, and the profile is a bit different. Feels flatter on the back of the neck compared to the Wizard.

Never had any problems with it hurting my hands or anything though. If anything I'd think the original Wizard would be more likely to do that. :idk:

• Members

Wizard and Wizard II necks both screw with my wrist, so I can't play either. But, I agree with above the II is basically thicker and more square/2x4-like. They are both fine if you get along with that shape....

• Members

Used to love the original Wizard neck.. Then one day I couldn't play them for longer than a few minutes before I got hand cramps.. Played thru it for another few years, but eventually I had to sell of a couple guitars..

The Wizard 2 felt a little bigger and slightly different profile to me. It really depends on your hands and playing style.. I got man-hands (lol), and with the line of work I do they are getting even more plump! They used to be that long, spider-like guitar playing hand, but now the dexterity I used to have has diminished a little, and these little necks just don't work for me anymore..

• Members

They're fine.

Hurt your hands pretty much right away? When you read {censored} like that you should just disregard it immediately - obviously someone has some kinda anti-Ibanez bias or "thought they'd take a chance on an
import
guitar".

This. I've had mine for years and recall no problems whatsoever.

Archived