So I scored a Marshall 1887X today and compared it to my JVM.

shane159

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Definitely works on my VC, i just tried it.

I've been thinking about it, and I guess someone at Laney must have thought "lets not break the loop bypass when someone plugs into the FX return, but only when they plug into the FX send". That's pretty smart - because that means the return does actually work exactly like a second parallel input, bypassing the preamp, to allow your exact usage scenario.

• Members
No worries, it's a novel idea. However I just true it on my 1987 and no go
:(

Seano's idea of using both channels is a good one. Personally I'd still clip the bright cap and run a master volume because the normal channel is excessively dark but it will accomplish a pseudo 2 channel setup.

Pretty easy to mod the normal channel to be the same as the treble channel.

• Members

Yes, but before we can consider your opinion - have you owned 50 Marshalls?

LOL, I was drinking last night and thought this said 50 watt Marshall. Anyway I am going to just use my guitar volume and my Green Rhino to boost it. I am not using the amp for high gain so I think that set up should be fine for now. My ears are still ringing from playing the amp last night.

• Members

LOL, I was drinking last night and thought this said 50 watt Marshall. Anyway I am going to just use my guitar volume and my Green Rhino to boost it. I am not using the amp for high gain so I think that set up should be fine for now. My ears are still ringing from playing the amp last night.

Glad your enjoying it :):thu:

• Members

Sorry man but what ya on about??? That's not gonna work!!

You go in to the input, then the loop sends the preamp signal out via whatever, and inserts back to the poweramp. how's the preamp signal gonna get to the poweramp with the loop set up like this??

What you CAN do, is to use an A/B switch, have one side go into a lo input on one channel, and the other to the hi input on the other channel. If you wanted certain pedals to affect both sides, they go before the A/B, and obviously if you want specifics on your clean, or specifics on the dirty, they come after the A/B on the relevent signal paths.

I think what he means is simultaneously feed the input of the 1987X and then feed an eq pedal (for example with a stereo pedal or an ABY one). Take the effects send out of the 1987x and the output of the aforementioned eq pedal and have them both go into a line selector. I think boss has a cheap good one. Now the two inputs of this line selector have the 1987X out and the eq pedal out. The output of the line selector will feed the power amp input. You can footswitch between the 1987x preamp and the eq pedal, which is a bit basic but can work especially if it is buffered. Else you can even use a multi effects set to a clean preset without cab sim.

• Members
No worries, it's a novel idea. However I just true it on my 1987 and no go
:(

Seano's idea of using both channels is a good one. Personally I'd still clip the bright cap and run a master volume because the normal channel is excessively dark but it will accomplish a pseudo 2 channel setup.

That, and the dark channel is great with single coils. Especially w one of those yjm pedals. Its instant classic Yngwie tone.

• Members

I just got home from playing the Plexi again with sober ears. I had said that it made the JVM sound like a toy, but honestly the JVM gets about 90% there on the crunch channel. The plexi just sounds fuller, but with an EQ in the JVM's loop , I had them sounding pretty much the same. However the dynamics are more pronounced with the Plexi, and it responds to guitar volume very well. It is going to be a keeper for sure, but the JVM is staying also. I am going to try and get some videos this weekend of the two amps to show how close the two can sound as far as low to mid gain tones. I also used a Box of Rock as a boost and it works very well with the plexi. It is one loud amp.

• Members

I just got home from playing the Plexi again with sober ears. I had said that it made the JVM sound like a toy, but honestly the JVM gets about 90% there on the crunch channel. The plexi just sounds fuller, but with an EQ in the JVM's loop , I had them sounding pretty much the same. However the dynamics are more pronounced with the Plexi, and it responds to guitar volume very well. It is going to be a keeper for sure, but the JVM is staying also. I am going to try and get some videos this weekend of the two amps to show how close the two can sound as far as low to mid gain tones. I also used a Box of Rock as a boost and it works very well with the plexi. It is one loud amp.

Well, not surprising...the JVM has a lot more gain stages at play, which equals more compression and tube coloring.

Plexi's are the {censored} in terms of straight up classic rock tones if you can have them at volume levels that will kill anything under 50lbs.

But, the JVM does that and then some, and does it as loud or as quiet as you want. Might not have the dynamics that 3 gain stages can get you, but, it gets you damn close to those older Marshalls, without being as limited as those "older" Marshalls are.

• Members

Well, not surprising...the JVM has a lot more gain stages at play, which equals more compression and tube coloring.

Plexi's are the {censored} in terms of straight up classic rock tones if you can have them at volume levels that will kill anything under 50lbs.

But, the JVM does that and then some, and does it as loud or as quiet as you want. Might not have the dynamics that 3 gain stages can get you, but, it gets you damn close to those older Marshalls, without being as limited as those "older" Marshalls are.

Or... You get a 2203 and a MXR Overdrive and get the best of both worlds...

Just sayin...

• Members

Uh, no, that's not my point.

There's plenty of JVM videos showing awesome tone and blah-blah-blah.

My point is that if you go with a JCM800, you're adding a master volume, sure, but you're also losing SOME of that dynamic content that a Plexi has because there's just less to fiddle with the dynamic content of the input. I know that sounds cork-sniffery, but, the JCM800, while an amp I do like more than the plexi, it depends on what you're after - the most dynamic amp is the Plexi, IMO.

Also, the JCM 800 doesn't have the same flexability as the JVM. That's fine if you want several different gain-pedals in front of the amp, and if you happen to have a newer one with an FX Loop, then you can do some stuff there, but, overall, JVM >>>>>>>>All other Marshalls, when it comes to tonal flexability without having to go outboard. When it comes to a less compressed amp Plexi > JCM800.

• Members
Excuse my typing , I have had a few tonight. Seriously the Plexi is a monster but it has to be loud as {censored}. What would be some more options without killing my ears?? The JVM is great, but once you play the Plexi , it just sounds like a toy.

Not Knocking the 1987 but you can get that huge plexi growl out of the JVM just fine with volume and boost. Correct me if Im wrong but to me, its obvious that youre digging power amp distortion and with some minor tweaking, your JVM can do that just fine..

• Members

When it comes to volume sweet spots, IMO attenuators, vol tricks etc has too much of a tradeoff.

The only answer is play it loud. It's why I built one of these to record:

DSCF6529.jpg

DSCF6527.jpg

And I put an sound proof blanket over the cab/mic too. I wish I had this setup when I had my Splawn.

Archived