So I scored a Marshall 1887X today and compared it to my JVM.

shane159

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you want footswitchable clean the answer is 2x 1987x.

It does annoy me when people say "just use your volume pot", in some applications that totally not possible, if you need slick channel changes then the volume pot thing just isnt going to work.

You could try getting a clean from switching to the input of the FX loop ( i dont even know if the 1987x has one?!) use an A/B box and then run one side to the amps input, the other side to an EQ pedal then the input of the FX loop

Sorry man but what ya on about??? That's not gonna work!!

You go in to the input, then the loop sends the preamp signal out via whatever, and inserts back to the poweramp. how's the preamp signal gonna get to the poweramp with the loop set up like this??

What you CAN do, is to use an A/B switch, have one side go into a lo input on one channel, and the other to the hi input on the other channel. If you wanted certain pedals to affect both sides, they go before the A/B, and obviously if you want specifics on your clean, or specifics on the dirty, they come after the A/B on the relevent signal paths.

• Members

I use a 100 watt plexi reissue, and I gig pretty often. I run it clean, and use a Metal Muff for distortion. As for the volume, I just got one of these, and am trying it out this weekend.

QM-Master.jpg

http://rockmod335.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34&products_id=88

it should do the trick of giving you a master volume without having to permanently mod your amp, or send it out anywhere. Plus it's footswitchable :thu:

• Members

Sorry man but what ya on about??? That's not gonna work!!

You go in to the input, then the loop sends the preamp signal out via whatever, and inserts back to the poweramp. how's the preamp signal gonna get to the poweramp with the loop set up like this??

What you CAN do, is to use an A/B switch, have one side go into a lo input on one channel, and the other to the hi input on the other channel. If you wanted certain pedals to affect both sides, they go before the A/B, and obviously if you want specifics on your clean, or specifics on the dirty, they come after the A/B on the relevent signal paths.

You can bypass an amps pre-amp stage and just use the power stage by doing it the way i described. you dont need to use an fx loop as a loop, you can just use it as a direct input to the amps power stage.

• Members

You can bypass an amps pre-amp stage and just use the power stage by doing it the way i described. you dont need to use an fx loop as a loop, you can just use it as a direct input to the amps power stage.

Once you plug into the effects return the inputs are useless.

• Members

Personally, I couldn't handle the volume needed to get my Plexi clone to where i like it. A PPIMV didn't help really either. It sounded amazing still, but I'm just so used to my 2203 (which is actually an amp i prefer over the NMV's. I understand that I have a unique opinion on this). I'm sure I could have made it work with an Attenuator, but my amp guy (the guy who built the amp) offered to convert mine to a 2204 for $50 (It's a simple mod). It's now the amp I want it to be.

• Members

Yes I know, that's what I said. But you were on about A/B switching between the input (ie, into the preamp) and the FX return. That's not gonna work because the preamp is bypassed because signal B's cable is plugged into the return.

• Members

Yes I know, that's what I said. But you were on about A/B switching between the input (ie, into the preamp) and the FX return. That's not gonna work because the preamp is bypassed because signal B's cable is plugged into the return.

I dont know how a Marshalls loop is set up but i know on my old GH50 i could do this!

• Members

I dont know how a Marshalls loop is set up but i know on my old GH50 i could do this!

No worries, it's a novel idea. However I just true it on my 1987 and no go :(

Seano's idea of using both channels is a good one. Personally I'd still clip the bright cap and run a master volume because the normal channel is excessively dark but it will accomplish a pseudo 2 channel setup.

• Members

No worries, it's a novel idea. However I just true it on my 1987 and no go
:(

Seano's idea of using both channels is a good one. Personally I'd still clip the bright cap and run a master volume because the normal channel is excessively dark but it will accomplish a pseudo 2 channel setup.

Yeah i used to do the both channel thing and a/b between them when i ran a 1959. I had an old treble booster on one input as my drive sound, man that must have made the audience deaf!

• Members

Definitely works on my VC, i just tried it.

How EXACTLY did you wire it up??

I've only ever messed with old "Plexis"..I had a '71 Superbass, which now belongs to our bassist, and both he and our guitarist have a '72 Superlead each. I really think I should buy that Superbass back!

• Members

How EXACTLY did you wire it up??

I've only ever messed with old "Plexis"..I had a '71 Superbass, which now belongs to our bassist, and both he and our guitarist have a '72 Superlead each. I really think I should buy that Superbass back!

guitar into a/b box. a to amp input, b to fx return (global).

Archived