Are you an American are you overweight?

Tommy Horrible

• Members

You have no clue what body fat % you would be until you got there. Depends on if you lost muscle mass or not. The charts are {censored}ing irrelevant, and do more damage than good. You could stay the same weight and end up at 9% body fat.

I don't ever drop muscle when I drop weight because I do it at usually less than a pound a week. I just dropped 35 lbs in about 60 weeks. The magic number from all studies I saw in college(I took a few classes towards becoming personal trainer) was if you lose less than 2 pounds a week on average you won't lose any muscle.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't ever drop muscle when I drop weight because I do it at usually less than a pound a week. I just dropped 35 lbs in about 60 weeks. The magic number from all studies I saw in college(I took a few classes towards becoming personal trainer) was if you lose less than 2 pounds a week on average you won't lose any muscle.

Regardless of how fast you lose weight, if you aren't getting the proper nutrients as well as working out, you WILL lose muscle. But if you're still lifting and keeping up your protein intake you'll be fine. I was probably abour 9% body fat near the end of last summer. Now it's almost summer again and I have to shed my winter layer again. Ugh. If I'd only learn to keep with it. :lol:

• Members

That was me for a long time. I feel a ton better since I finally filled out a bit. You can't even notice that I gained what I did.

Do you smoke?

Yes :( Really need to quit, I know...

I am in between gym stages...Before this, I had a gut that I desperately wanted to get rid of. I was 160 and 20% bf...I dropped 15 pounds and 10% bf...So next up is gaining some lean mass...But that doesn't change the fact that I need to quit...Did you go through that as well?

• Members

technically yes (6'0" 192lbs) but I do have a muscular build. My waist size is 32 which is normal for my height and age so I'm not worried. I go more for waist size than weight, I think that's a better indicator of who's fat and who isn't.

Agreed.

I have a buddy thats 6'4 and 180, and he looks like a skeleton, even though they say thats a healthy weight or whatever. He was 165 at his lightest while doing hardcore triathlon training, and he looked like he would die any second haha. Im 5'11 and about 195 pounds right now. Lost 40 pounds in the second half of last year. I would definitely say I was very overweight before losing that weight. I still think Im overweight, but not in a weight sense....if that makes sense lol. I have a pretty large/muscular build, so its easy for me to hold a lot of weight with little fat without trying too hard. When I was in college, I was 195 with 12% body fat. Now its 195 with like 25% BF or something like that lol. I could afford to drop some fat, but Id look too skinny if I was any lighter than I am now. My waist was 42, now its 35 or something...depends on the pants. Im wearing a 36 right now, and they are loose in the waist. When I graduated HS, my waist was 28, that was 10 years ago. In college it was pretty steady at 32. If I can get back to 32, Id be pretty happy.

• Members

A lot of guys claiming they're not overweight or obese in here that are, but that's the problem here in the US: so many people are overweight or obese that people think it's normal. I'm a little over 6' and currently 192, I do workout and I am muscular but yes, I need to lose some weight too. I just got out of a relationship and had been slacking a bit partially due to her lifestyle, it happens :o Some of you guys are in serious denial IMO.

• Members

i think they do and also take into account fat guys always say theyre very muscular.

Personally, I think that the ranges that they give are garbage. Im 6'2 250 and I dont think anyone would consider me obese let alone fat or overweight. Most of those charts never figure in anyone with muscle...

• Members

A lot of guys claiming they're not overweight or obese in here that are, but that's the problem here in the US: so many people are overweight or obese that people think it's normal. I'm a little over 6' and currently 192, I do workout and I am muscular but yes, I need to lose some weight too. I just got out of a relationship and had been slacking a bit partially due to her lifestyle, it happens
:o
Some of you guys are in serious denial IMO.

In all fairness Colin, Being overweight is really a relative term... Im wearing 36 jeans at 6'2 250 and thats only because Ive taken a break from training due to lyme disease and Im back in next week. once Im back in, Im back to 34's in a heartbeat,33's depending on the jeans. It doesnt help that I have a 50" chest along with that. A couple of years ago, I weighed 262 and I was wearing 32's, not a gut or love handle to be seen, was I overweight?

Those BMI charts are a joke IMHO

Archived