Sell me on a bedroom amp...

SoCalMX70

• Members

um no. Friedman Marshall with 4x12's.

need cleans? get an ultra linear 135 watt Twin.

wait. isn't it the friedman marshall for cleans, blues, and sexy sax solos, and the ultralinear 135 watt twin for dirt?

'cause that's what i'd do.

• Members

The Mustang does modern metal easily, and sounds {censored}ing awesome. It's actually the best sounding modeling amp I've ever played.

I'd go for the Mustang III though; it's got a 12" speaker and is 100 watts so it could possibly fulfill all your needs. Still sounds killer at low volume too; it's very controllable. Awesome amps!!

Edit: just noticed you said head only. Kinda strange for a bedroom amp but in that case go for the Mustang IV head

Huh. Whaddya know? I normally don't equate Fender with Modern Metal is all.

• Members

Smokey.

There are slim chances to crank up a bedroom amp but as 1/2W amp it might just cut it. The overdriven sounds are not larger than life but they are not even moderately weaker than those of $300 tube amps. Clean is... well, clean.

The best part: it's obly about 20 bucks so when you eventually realize that those low power bedroom practice amps are just lame toys you don't feel like you wasted a stupid amount of money to an amp you hate, hardly ever get to use to full potential, and that only works decently in bedroom and bedroom only.

If you want a real amp, buy a real amp and learn to use the volume control. Don't pay real amp's worth of money for an amp that's essentially just a toy.

• Members

another vote for solid state. totally not worth it to buy a tube amp you can't open up. just use a 112 and a solid state head, and you'll get the gain, and options you want, and have volume control way down low.

great sounding bedroom tube amps are a myth.

Hell yeah, I use a SF Champ as my practice amp and I struggle to get the volume over 4 without getting to "pissed the neighbours" volume

• Members

I dunno that Id consider 25 watts a bedroom amp. If I were you, Id go with a 5153 mini and call it a day. 50 watts, right between your 2 requirements, and sounds amazing, plus youll be able to use it at low volumes and at stage volumes. 1 amp to solve your 2 amp needs.

If you want some strictly bedroom type stuff, Id go for either a Vox Amplug (the lead one sounds like a boosted 5150), or something like the AMT pedals and go direct. Hell, an AMT and a SS power amp and a cab, and youve got a rid that you can take anywhere and can get bedroom and stage volumes out of.

Archived