So I had my first band practice with the Laney full stack last night

guitarbilly74

• Members

We were also trying out a new singer so we had to play some covers. God, I hate playing covers!! But whatever, singer did not work out.

The stack sounded really {censored}ing cool though, the only problem is that is loud as {censored}!! :lol:

Holy {censored}, having 4 12" speakers at ear level is awesome but goddamn it gets loud quick. I managed to get it at a reasonable level but I had to set the master volume below 2 which did not give me the best power tube crunch. I am thinking of running the amp at 50 watts and halfing the impedance. I know it won't make a lot of difference in the volume but at least it will distort earlier lol.

Anyway, CSB. Let me know if you guys need to see pictures of the cabs! :lol:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Haha, I run a TI an 7 on the master. I fully admit that I'm a dick and have a problem with excessive volume.

With the other guitarist in my band, its a constant battle. He starts off with his JSX channel volumes at 7, and master volume at 7 lol. I can usually get him to turn it down to 3.5 or so, and then its good. But its SOOOO loud at 7, plus the drummer tries to keep up and the keys get turned up to be heard. Then I turn up. Bass player bitches that he can never hear himself, and no one can hear the vocals at practice because the PA doesnt get that loud haha. So, its always a fight to try to turn everything down.

• Members
We were also trying out a new singer so we had to play some covers. God, I hate playing covers!! But whatever, singer did not work out.

The stack sounded really {censored}ing cool though, the only problem is that is loud as {censored}!!
:lol:
Holy {censored}, having 4 12" speakers at ear level is awesome but goddamn it gets loud quick. I managed to get it at a reasonable level but I had to set the master volume below 2 which did not give me the best power tube crunch. I am thinking of running the amp at 50 watts and halfing the impedance. I know it won't make a lot of difference in the volume but at least it will distort earlier lol.

Anyway, CSB. Let me know if you guys need to see pictures of the cabs!
:lol:

Good for you. Please show pics. hahahahahhahaa.

My nearly unnecessary comment, though - whenever I run half power like that, my amps seem to lose some of their big balls. Like, once you hear them at full power, you can just tell you're not getting the full packin' steam of when it's all hot and bothered to it's fullest.

• Members

With the other guitarist in my band, its a constant battle. He starts off with his JSX channel volumes at 7, and master volume at 7 lol. I can usually get him to turn it down to 3.5 or so, and then its good. But its SOOOO loud at 7, plus the drummer tries to keep up and the keys get turned up to be heard. Then I turn up. Bass player bitches that he can never hear himself, and no one can hear the vocals at practice because the PA doesnt get that loud haha. So, its always a fight to try to turn everything down.

I don't have another guitar player so it's a bit easier. The drummer always complains he can't hear his bass drum though. Last night he ended up mic'ing it :lol:

And Samson combo ftw!!

• Members

Good for you. Please show pics. hahahahahhahaa.

My nearly unnecessary comment, though -
whenever I run half power like that, my amps seem to lose some of their big balls
. Like, once you hear them at full power, you can just tell you're not getting the full packin' steam of when it's all hot and bothered to it's fullest.

I am well aware of this and I completely agree with you.

But I wonder if it have be the same problem when using 2 4x12 cabs.

• Members

maybe run them side by side instead of vertical? wouldnt look as cool but you wouldnt have a 412 at face level

Yeah that's an option. :idea:

I will probably just leave one at home or use it just for show (not connected). That stack does look awesome. When I was rolling it out at the studio people were stopping by to look at it :lol:

• Members

man I'm getting tired of volume wars. I hate playing in bands where I try to keep my volume reasonable only to have the other guitar player take that as a queue to turn the {censored} up and restart the cycle. Even worse when they suck balls and have no idea.

• Members

man I'm getting tired of volume wars. I hate playing in bands where I try to keep my volume reasonable only to have the other guitar player take that as a queue to turn the {censored} up and restart the cycle. Even worse when they suck balls and have no idea.

I solved that issue completely by firing the other guitar player and getting a stack. That way, I have no contenders, but if one shows up, I am also fully armed :D

• Members

Yeah, dude. I hate volume wars so much. Its such a dumb thing to get into, too, so I usually cave. Its like people dont give a {censored} about their hearing lol.

• Members

Yeah, dude. I hate volume wars so much. Its such a dumb thing to get into, too, so I usually cave. Its like people dont give a {censored} about their hearing lol.

I find it's generally noobs that don't know how to play in decent bands. The "i've gotta hear exactly what I'm doing, and {censored} the overall mix" types.

a band is a culmination of all the instruments, not a backing track for one person. dumbasses usually don't understand.

Archived