So I had my first band practice with the Laney full stack last night

guitarbilly74

• Members

Oddly..with other guitar players, Ive never ran into volume wars. It's always the Les Claypool wanna-be bassist, or the Vinnie Paul wanna-be drummer who thinks drums should over ride everything. (with drummers, its mostly in a recording situation though)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The other band I was in back in '07-'08 we constantly fought for volume. Our singer could never be heard since he's sharing the pa with the keyboardist, who tends to max out his levels too. Our drummer's a hardhitter and has a customized kit like John Bonham. The bassist and I were more than willing to adjust, but it did get ridiculous.

The last band I was in was an electronic band and there was one less person in there, but three times the volume wars. Our singer, who also programs and triggers the backing tracks with our drummer) always wants to be heard, out bassist loves distortion through his large Ampeg fridge cab (forgot the head he had) and I had two halfstacks. I mentioned in another thread how it pisses me off when my singer's drunken (or drugged out) friends would wanna hang out during rehearsals, and I fix that with breaking out the Whammy patch and incite dead cat sounds.

Man I miss being in a band. :lol:

• Members
Fixed.
:cop:

I've been in one band in the last 5 years, i'm tired of jamming with myself. I can't find anyone my age who doesn't suck, who's not a scammer or an Alcoholic con-artist.
Between golf, dating, work and all the other stuff i do im done spending ridiculas amount of time and money on music. :snax:

• Members

I've been in one band in the last 5 years,
i'm tired of playing with myself
. I can't find anyone my age who doesn't suck, who's not a scammer or an Alcoholic con-artist.

Between golf, dating, work and all the other stuff i do im done spending ridiculas amount of time and money on music.
:snax:

:eek:

Try the stranger, it works

• Members

rental Sound Streets Studio on Camby, off Sherman Way. You should stop by one of these days for a jam and beers!!!

oh yes I've jammed at there before! pretty cool place. I'll be sure to come by and bring a randall or two when school finishes! :beer:

• Members

Even EVH said he only used the bottom cabs. Said he liked to feel the hair on his arms move but not the hair on his head.

I don't care who says it, I totally agree.. ;-) It's not really a good sound.. I know some guys like to say, I don't want it pointing at my legs or shins, but I don't want to hear bright piercing gain straight into my head.. The sound of the guitar and amp for me, is exactly the sound of it hitting my legs.. Lol you need that high end roll off..

So yeah, 2 side by side 4x12's is the way to go.. But honestly that can get too dark.. So what I did when I had two 4x12s was run one on each side of the drums.. And get a stereo spread going.. I also utilized my stereo FX (like delay and flanger, and pretty much all stereo fx sound great thru 2 cabs), but I did also run 2 heads, with one slaved to another.. Was a fun setup and actually allowed for a better mix cause with the stereo spread it was filing up the room without having to run my volumes as high..

Archived