Cover Band pedalboards

Ovid9

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm making my actual board this week but it consists of:

Tuner -> Jekyll and Hyde v2 -> Swollen Pickle -> Chorus -> Line 6 DL-4

all out front of my 1987x. was using the amp modded with the FX loop but eh, running it close to stock with pedals seems more my style.

The DL4 is stupid easy to use, and this coming from someone that had one helluva time with the TC Nova Delay or anything else that wasn't an analog delay. Tone isn't as great as the Carbon Copy or Deluxe Memory Man for the analog sounds, but it's very close and way more versatile. Having 3 presets also helps for when you want to switch from a short slapback to a longer delay depending on song. To set a preset you move the knobs to where you want them and hold down the applicable footswitch for 3 seconds. No menus and hell I figured it out. The 4th button on it is the tap tempo... I never really use tap tempo but for some people it's necessary. I prefer to set my delay time with the knob.

• Members

The MM4 or M9 is a possibility, but really, I'm super lazy and hate figuring out how stuff works. Are they REALLY straight forward and easy to use? Cause otherwise, I won't learn how to use it.
:facepalm:

The M9 is very easy to use. Think of it as 6 separate stompboxes at a time (you can change 'scenes' to access a new set of 6 stomps). You push the button, you get a stompbox. You tweak a knob on that stompbox and it changes that parameter. No menus, no saving {censored}, just adjust it to how you like it and go.

• Members

The M9 is very easy to use. Think of it as 6 separate stompboxes at a time (you can change 'scenes' to access a new set of 6 stomps). You push the button, you get a stompbox. You tweak a knob on that stompbox and it changes that parameter. No menus, no saving {censored}, just adjust it to how you like it and go.

That is very good to know about it. Thanks!

And Dave, your thread about delay modeler's got me thinking about this some. Thanks for the info on that DL-4. :thu:

• Members

That is very good to know about it. Thanks!

And Dave, your thread about delay modeler's got me thinking about this some. Thanks for the info on that DL-4.
:thu:

I got mine for $100 used in mint condition with the original box and power supply. not sure I'd go over $140 or so though.

• Members

I got mine for $100 used in mint condition with the original box and power supply. not sure I'd go over $140 or so though.

You got a smoking deal on that thing man. I bought mine new (:facepalm:) and I think it was 3 times that much, and didn't include the power supply.

But yes, I highly recommend the DL-4...It is very easy to use, and inspires me to play when I turn it on.

• Members

What are those MXR Micro Amps, a clean boost?

yup... regular old clean boost... I put it in the FX loop of my amp with the M9 so I get a consistent volume boost for solos no matter how much gain I have running at the time

• Members

Ovid, I use a GSP1101/Control 2, and I love it. It doesn't have to be complicated, I only use 5 presets (so, just one bank), and turn chorus/distortion/delay on and off within some of the presets, if and when I need them.

1 - Fender Twin Clean with compression. (chorus, delay, long reverb, distortion, db boost/wah all optional within the preset)

2 - JMP '77 MV Light Dirty with Chorus and Delay. (db boost/wah optional within the preset)

3 - JMP '77 MV Light Dirty. (distortion/chorus/delay/db boost/wah all optional within the preset)

4 - JCM 800 Heavy Dirty. (distortion/Yaya/delay/db boost/wah all optional within the preset)

5 - JCM 800 + Distortion Solo. (wah optional within the preset)

Furthermore, if you use that, or even if you use pedals, using any more than one clean and two dirt tones isn't completely necessary, IMO. I've been doing covers since the 80's with that kind of setup. Yeah, the rare occasion when my band does Enter Sandman, I don't have the right tone, but that's once every six months maybe, and no one notices or cares but me.

I use the pickups and switches on my guitar for the different shades of clean and dirty.

• Members

You got a smoking deal on that thing man. I bought mine new (
:facepalm:
) and I think it was 3 times that much, and didn't include the power supply.

But yes, I highly recommend the DL-4...It is very easy to use, and inspires me to play when I turn it on.

I know what ya mean. It's inspiring to say the least. Originally I just got it due to the good deal but it's a valuable piece of gear :thu:

• Members

Tommy Tu-Tone, The Cars, The Cure, STP, Foo Fighters, Silverchair, Weezer. Ya know basic "our lead guitarist doesn't have any ability" type stuff.
:cop:

Chain is guitar -> board -> clean Peavey VTM or ACC150

Barber Dirty bomb- modern distortion

SUF Civil War- Muff fuzz needs

MXR Classic OD- Boost/OD pedal (maybe for light distortion on its own?
:idk:
)

Rogue Analog Delay- delay (i think we have a couple songs that could/would use delay)

DOD FX 60 Chorus- Chorus (on 80s songs, some other songs)

Tuner

Now, that would probably cover the basics. But who wants basic? Not this guy! I mean, sure I can barely remember the chord progressions, but I want pedals to stomp!

I currently have own:

flanger- I like it, but not sure I need it?

envelop filter- I have a couple songs that could use one, but for now...prolly no

Metal Muff- might be in for marshall crunch

EQD Monarch-
:love:
but no real place for it

Two or three other fuzzes and a few other pedals I don't see a place use for here.

What else might be something to really consider? Maybe a digital delay pedal instead of that cheapy rogue? I've never really used delay, like ever.

Maybe a wah since I'm trying to play (butcher) some leads?

What say you HCAF?

MXR Classic OD (consider buying a Smallsound/Bigsound {censored} Overdrive. You'll forget all about MXR)

Barber Dirty Bomb (Most versatile Distortion ever for 70's/80's/90's covers. This is my go to cover band dirt pedal)

SUF Civil War :love:

Boss ANALOG CH-1 (Not to be confused with the digital CH-1. do your research. They are still able to be found for $50. They sound like a versatile CE-2. Better buffer and more durable than the DOD)

Malekko 616 delay. (amazing tone, and does everything you need, unless you think you need a tap tempo.)

• Members

MXR Classic OD (consider buying a Smallsound/Bigsound {censored} Overdrive. You'll forget all about MXR)

Barber Dirty Bomb (Most versatile Distortion ever for 70's/80's/90's covers. This is my go to cover band dirt pedal)

SUF Civil War
:love:
Boss ANALOG CH-1 (Not to be confused with the digital CH-1. do your research. They are still able to be found for $50. They sound like a versatile CE-2. Better buffer and more durable than the DOD)

Malekko 616 delay. (amazing tone, and does everything you need, unless you think you need a tap tempo.)

Thanks broslinger. I'll keep my eye out for some of that stuff. Isn't the Malekko 616 like awesome and sought after and pricey? *Edit: google says the price really isn't that bad. I'll opt for something less expensive now, but....*

• Members

Thanks broslinger. I'll keep my eye out for some of that stuff. Isn't the Malekko 616 like awesome and sought after and pricey? *Edit: google says the price really isn't that bad. I'll opt for something less expensive now, but....*

Bro,

the "LOFI 616" is sought after and expensive.

I bought my regular 616 for $110, I think. A new one is $150, and they ARE in production, ATM. Awesome modulation, nice buffer. awesome sound.

• Members

I used a Mark iv and a pedal board for a while in our cover band. It sounded great. Then I switched to a simple Line 6 digital rig with no pedals at all and the audience doesn't know the difference. For a cover band , a modeller is a no brainer imo

• Members

Keep the basic approach for the pedals (1 drive, 1 modulation, 1 delay and eventually 1 wah) and concentrate more on your playing. Your audience will appreciate it, guaranteed.

I like the way you think. I have a TC Nova System. I keep one bank set with all my delay, reverb and eq the way I like it and then I mirrored that bank because you can only use one modulation effect at a time. So Bank 1 have Chorus, Bank 2 has Flanger but everything else is the same. I run it through my loop and have a Maxon I can run up front for a boost. I may add a way but basically it's a pretty simple set up.

• Members

all you need is one decent base tone for a cover band. To hell with trying to mimic all this other garbage. If certain songs (welcome to the jungle for example) needs a specific effect like delay or a chorus or something, that pedal is REALLY all you need.

I've stripped my setup down to a volume pedal, my klon clone and a decimator and hardwire delay in the loop. I set the nitro for a moderate crunch and the klon gives a pretty nice kick in the pants to the overdrive for lead and heavier stuff.

It's working really well for me and once we get back on stage, I'll add my wireless in there and that probably will be all but since I change things up on a weekly basis, all this could be hilariously inaccurate in just a few days time :o

• Members

The MM4 is not like a digital multi-effects at all. It works just like a regular pedal except you press and hold the switch to store the sound you want. It sells for about $100 used and it will give you every modulation tone you will ever need. I used one for a long time when I worked at Line 6 and I loved it.

• Members

Look into the Zoom G3. Like you, I am far to lazy to program. The G3 basically lets you choose any three pedals and then you use actual knobs like on the real pedals. Even better, use the USB to your computer and you get "grab and drop" the pedals where you want them! My current setup:

guitar > Korg Pitchblack > Joyo Ulitmate Drive > Digitech Hardwire Chorus > EQD Disaster Transport > JCA22H with G3 in the loop

I mostly use the G3 for reverb and EQ but it has a ton of great stuff in it.

• Members

The best cover bands I've ever seen don't spend too much time worrying about getting it EXACT or having ALL of the bases covered. Usually they have a generic pedal board for some versatility and variety and just try to make sure they have a handful of sounds that are great tone same as a normal rock band. Most people in the audience don't care about it sounding spot on and don't even know what spot on is. Distortion is distortion and clean is clean. Just make sure it sounds good and play well. You don't even have to play the songs spot on as long as the performance and the stank is put on them.

• Members

I use an M13 that runs into a MIDI switcher into my Mesa Mark IV. Then I just have patches set up that I can call up on the fly. Save the tapdancing. I've yet to have a crowd be pissed that I wasn't playing some vintage analog delay pedal.

• Members

I use an M13 that runs into a MIDI switcher into my Mesa Mark IV. Then I just have patches set up that I can call up on the fly. Save the tapdancing. I've yet to have a crowd be pissed that I wasn't playing some vintage analog delay pedal.

imma be pissed now that I know you don't have some vintage analog delay pedal. I suppose you don't bring your vintage axes out to the bars either?

man up, bro.

• Members

Playing the parts accurately makes a song sound more like the song than having the exact sound.

Tru fax.

Agreed 100%. Aside from a few examples where an effect is pretty prominent - phasey chorus on "Lightning Crashes," flanger on a lot of Van Halen I stuff, etc - the average cover band crowd is going to be fine with a simple clean-crunch-lead set of tones, as long as you're playing the song right. And your singer doesn't suck.

• Members

Agreed 100%. Aside from a few examples where an effect is pretty prominent - phasey chorus on "Lightning Crashes," flanger on a lot of
Van Halen I
stuff, etc - the average cover band crowd is going to be fine with a simple clean-crunch-lead set of tones, as long as you're playing the song right.
And your singer doesn't suck.

The other guy will be doing most of the vocals is pretty decent. Not amazing, but solid. I'll be doing BGVs and lead vox on a couple songs and they are songs I can do decently.

Unless we find a bassist who kills on vocals then I'm all good in not singing hardly at all except for BGVs cause I'd rather we sound awesome than me get to sing.

I figure if this works I can always try and start a screamy original band anyway. :lol:

Archived