Cover Band pedalboards

Ovid9

• Members

True on what most people said in here. In like Drew, I just use a basic clean and dirt tone with a boost. I use a slight overdrive for some country stuff. I have now went a different direction with my new setup.

My tele > ib modified G system> BB preamp/OCD> into my Stiletto (4 cable method)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed 100%. Aside from a few examples where an effect is pretty prominent - phasey chorus on "Lightning Crashes," flanger on a lot of
Van Halen I
stuff, etc - the average cover band crowd is going to be fine with a simple clean-crunch-lead set of tones, as long as you're playing the song right. And your singer doesn't suck.

yeah I kinda came to this realization after going to a few shows where some of the bigger cover bands played and realized that the guitar player(s) more or less used just 1 crunch/lead and a clean channel and that was more or less it. Some had a wah but they were all amazingly bare boned with their setups. Less to go wrong, less to fool around with during songs. the more I whittled my pedal board down, the more I realized I could live without.

I think once we start gigging, I'll ditch the reverb too and just have the ISP in the loop and maybe invest in a Wizard Wah to throw up front with my klon clone. The 535Q wah I've got now is easily 15 years old... I don't even know if it still works. I haven't used it in like 2 years.

• Members

i have 3 pedalboards.

1) the board i've been using lately has tuner (korg pitchblank), amt p-drive, amt o-drive, tech 21 boost dla, and ep booster (for solo volume boost). i set amp clean very slightly overdriven.

2) other small board currently has tuner (turbo tuner) , dano cool catdrive, zoom powerdrive, and gni amp simulator (which has 2nd independent footswitch that is an djustable clean boost that's for solo volume boost).

3) my "larger" board which i haven't used in a while currently has on it: tuner (tc polytune), dano transparent overdrive, tech 21 british, tech 21 liverpool, fender frv1 reverb, and mxr micro amp as solo boost.

• Members

the more I whittled my pedal board down, the more I realized I could live without..

oh hell yeah... my board started out with allll kinda bells and whistles and then I had the Egnater Renegade as well for more dirt options..... then I got tired of lugging everything around for gigs... {censored} got downsized real fast.... my board right now is set to cover anything my band plays, but there are gigs where I might just pull the tuner, WIIO and Wah off the board and that would be all I'd need. I'm considering getting a pedaltrain Mini or Nano and putting together another jam board for those gigs...

• Members

I have now went a different direction with my new setup.

My tele > ib modified G system> BB preamp/OCD> into my Stiletto (4 cable method)

When in the {censored} did you get a G-System??? Is that why you're selling all your pedals?

I must've missed the thread :lol:

• Members

For no more than what my pedal board is, I can get a pretty decent variety to do cover stuff with. Just have to twist knobs on the fly & switch guitars

Vox King Wah > EH Small Stone (old russian version in the big black box)> modded Ibanez TS9> Ibanez GE10 Eq > Ibanez TK999US> Aphex Big Bottom> Boss DD7 delay --- then to whichever amp Im running (either of my NMV Marshalls, or a Randall RG100ES)

Sometimes I'll run an amp switcher (Morley Trippler) to go for diffrent flavors. I have a fairly simple "old school" set up. I can go from Jimi & Robin Trower, to EVH, to Slayer, to COC / Down / Crowbar...then back to a Stones kinda thing. I rely ALOT on the guitars volume knob & have to change my pick attack up, but I can usually get whatever I want. Kick on the Aphex big bottom & click on my EQ to change up mids & it's bludgeoning br00tz .

• Members

When in the {censored} did you get a G-System??? Is that why you're selling all your pedals?

I must've missed the thread
:lol:

I wasn't planning on getting a G System, but I came across a hell of a deal for the iB modified version. I just ordered a Mission Engineering Expression pedal for it and getting the BB and OCD and use it for channel switching and such. Now the wait for it begins. It wont be here until Tuesday the 6th and I am eager to get it!!

• Members

I wasn't planning on getting a G System, but I came across a hell of a deal for the iB modified version. I just ordered a Mission Engineering Expression pedal for it and getting the BB and OCD and use it for channel switching and such. Now the wait for it begins. It wont be here until Tuesday the 6th and I am eager to get it!!

Cool! G-System's are awesome machines dude :thu:

• Members

Hmmm... It's kind of funny, with all the effects I have, I fall back on my old trustworthys...

From axe to amp:

Digitech XP100 Whammy (Used more for its chorus than anything else)

Morley Bad Horsey II wah

An original (not the {censored}ty sounding chinese repro) Proco Turbo Rat

And an old Korg MGII (I think, lol) multi effect, that I use for its delay..

The rest goes through my old Valvestate VS100R head for small gigs, and my old Classic 50 head for gigs where I need more headroom...

All the pedals are for flavor, the bulk of the tone comes outta the amps.. Even my Turbo rat is dialed with the volume on full and the od cracked up a hair to push the high gain channel on the Marshall..

And yeah, I can see the posts already "Valvestates sound too thin and shrill!"

If you turn down the Highs and the Contuour knobs, they mellow out better than you think... Just dont run em with damned celestions

• Members

Actually, I have always thought that Valvestates were an awesome way to get Marshall-y on the cheap.

I like them for the two reasons of cheapness, and reliability... Less tubes, less grief when gigging... And I thought it was hilarious in my last bit of studio work with a local band here, I ran my Valvestate for some leads, and their singers TSL for others, and nobody yet has spotted the difference.. Half of that reason is they paid some douche to do "production" work who compressed the {censored} outta the tracks, and robbed alot of tone from them

• Members

You have to love an amp that sounds that good, and you can pick up a good working one for as low as $125.. I have had at least 1 in my posession for over ten years..

LOVE the Yammie in your avatar! Got a better pic of it?

• Members
LOVE the Yammie in your avatar! Got a better pic of it?

Voila, the "quarter tonner" '84 SBG1300TS...
The chrome skull was a fathers day gift, cause my at-the-time 3 yr old decided it needed to go there
2012-06-04_16-03-10_377.jpg
It may weigh a ton, but it drips tone...

Archived