Best fuzz for doom?

Soundstorm

• Members

Kind of a fuzz noob here. Tried a friend's little Big Muff on the NMV mode on my Matamp this weekend. The tone was good, and almost there but not quite. Lacked a little punch and thickness. I imagine there are tons of great muff type fuzzes out there, which is your favorite?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First off, give me your matamp. I've been looking high and low for a GT1. They sound amazing.

Second, if you want a little "oomph" out of your muff, stack it with a proco rat. If you're looking for something more boutique, I like the Wren and Cuff style muffs.

Finally, can't go wrong with the FZ-2.

• Members

I've said this before, but the best I've heard was a 5150 and a box of metal. YMMV.

For your Matamp, it depends on what kind of DOOM tone you're looking for?

I picked up a Aaron SS Green Russian Muff thingie that sounds great......It's edging out my HOOF.

OTherwise, I've always thought great Stoner/Doom tone comes from two layers. One amp/cab on the edge of break up with a muff into it, and one amp/cab with a Marshally tone coming out of it. Mix those together and :love:

• Members

GS, willing to spend a couple hundred or so. I really like the DAM pedals, but have a hard time letting go of $350 for a one knob fuzz.

GK, with a bass/guitar rig I've got enough to haul around without adding a third amp lol....not sure which band I could compare the tone I'm after to, maybe Yob? I love the tone of the Matamp but it doesn't have enough saturation unless I cranked it with a power soak

• Members

GK, with a bass/guitar rig I've got enough to haul around without adding a third amp lol....not sure which band I could compare the tone I'm after to, maybe Yob? I love the tone of the Matamp but it doesn't have enough saturation unless I cranked it with a power soak

Are you looking to run heavy gain most of the time?

Have you tried just a simple input booster?

Meatheads have a cool grinding fuzz.

YOB has a lot of variations on that doomy sludge tone. Some really deep and thunderous, some really chainsaw-y, and in between. The only common thing I hear from YOB album to album is that the guitar tone is kinda of dry.....reminds me of that grainy grind Torche gets on their albums.

• Members

Seriously talk to Aaron SS before you spend extra on snake oil and mojo.

I had a DAM Meathead, but sold it because I nearly tripled what I paid for it.

Got an Aaron SS Meathead, and it sounds identical.

Does he have a website?

• Members

Yeah, Torche has one of my favorite tones as well. I've watched tons of videos, and I'm starting to think I might just shell out for the DAM....thanks for the suggestions, everyone

I saw torche last night actually. One guitar player uses a keely katana clean boost through his marshall, the other uses a blackout effectors musket through his. Sounds EXACTLY like the new album in a live setting.

Most of their thundery tone comes from the fact that they play in drop A.

Archived