Les Paul set up help

fretless

• Members

when its very low your string tension will be much stiffer and the strings will have less jangle, harmonics, whatever you want to call it.

i read that dan erlewine book and was blown away how much better my LP sounds and feels after raising the tail piece. i had mine super low before too. you want (traditionally) to have a very slight angle between the bridge and tail piece.

i wouldnt have it set any lower than in the pic in the original post.

• Members

This is what you should do: Screw the tailpiece down all the way and wrap the strings over the top. Good enough for Duane Allman and Billy Gibbons!

DSCN0415.jpg

Yeah I thought about that , is that why they wraparound , so as to avoid resting on the bridge ?

• Members

I topwrap. Like that pic.

Screw the tailpiece all the way down. tight.

Adjust the bridge where the action is good for you.

If you've got buzz...adjust the trussrod.

I do it in that order...(but there are more steps...I slacken the strings before moving the bridge, saddles, or truss)

Should be good to go.

• Members

I think I'm going to try that at my next restring.

This. I have that Epiphone that belonged to my brother. Tat is going to be the guitar I teach myself basic repairs on. I have been playing for almost 25 years and I don't know how to do my own set up's, change pick ups, none of it. I {censored}ing phaill!!! :facepalm:

• Members

If you're gonna do it save the ball ends from a set of strings and use them for spacers. That way when you slide your strings through backwards and bend them they bend out where the string is and not in the twisted section.

• Members

If you're gonna do it save the ball ends from a set of strings and use them for spacers. That way when you slide your strings through backwards and bend them they bend out where the string is and not in the twisted section.

Good tip , pretty sure my strings ( R.Cocco ) are a wee longer wrapped them some others .

• Members

This is what you should do: Screw the tailpiece down all the way and wrap the strings over the top. Good enough for Duane Allman and Billy Gibbons!

DSCN0415.jpg

Erlewine talks about that in one of his books, too. I just restrung a guitar today and should have tried it.

Archived