do you adjust the polepieces on your passive pickups?

guitarbilly74

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i've got all mine like this - - - - - - just because i figured the magnets would cover the strings better. what will turning them left or right do exactly?

I didn't pay attention to the angle I set mine, I was just going by ear. But regardless of the angle, moving the polepieces closer to the string will make that coil a bit louder than the other and tighten the tone. Moving the polepieces away from the string softens the attacks and gives a smoother tone. You have to take small steps and listen as you go, it does make a good difference.

• Members

I'm not saying it automatically makes it noisy, but you've moved something that was locked in place by dry wax. It is no longer locked into place. You've broken the seal on that particular pole piece.

It's probably fine, but I've found I've never "helped" a pickup by disassembling it or messing with it.

I like it to be SOLID.

I really doubt the tiny little bit of wax that comes out when you adjust makes any difference. Wax potting is for everything, polepieces, plate coils, windings etc... just removing a little bit of wax around the polepieces won't change things much, your pickup still has 99.9% of the wax it had before, even around the polepieces, and the potting around the coils, plate and winding remain unchanged.

I actually noticed that once I adjusted it, I could reduce the gain and treble on my amp a little bit, making my whole rig LESS likely to squeal. I understand if you don't want to do it out of superstition, but you simply do not invalidate or damage the wax potting in any significant by adjusting the polepieces.

• Members

I'm not saying it automatically makes it noisy, but you've moved something that was locked in place by dry wax. It is no longer locked into place. You've broken the seal on that particular pole piece.

It's probably fine, but I've found I've never "helped" a pickup by disassembling it or messing with it.

I like it to be SOLID.

I really doubt the tiny little bit of wax that comes out when you adjust makes any difference. Wax potting is for everything, polepieces, plate coils, windings etc... just removing a little bit of wax around the polepieces won't change things much, your pickup still has 99.9% of the wax it had before, even around the polepieces, and the potting around the coils, plate and winding remain unchanged.

I actually noticed that once I adjusted it, I could reduce the gain and treble on my amp a little bit, making my whole rig LESS likely to squeal. I understand if you don't want to do it out of superstition, but you simply do not invalidate or damage the wax potting in any significant way by adjusting the polepieces.

• Members

I like it to be SOLID.

FWIW, it doesn't take much heat to remelt the wax on the polepiece.

Take a soldering iron, clean the tip to spotless, and stick it on there for 5 seconds, if that. Heats up the polepiece, melts the wax, done.

That or just stick it in the oven for a minute or two.

• Members

yeah- i never noticed any more or less microphonics from adjusting polepieces. if you're really SUPER worried about it-- take a hairdryer to the face of the pickup and remelt it.

I think this is one of the major major keys to a good setup job. and certainly just as important as intonation and action!

• Members

I'll be delving into pole-piece adjustment soon. I'm still just a tad bit noobish on setting up a floating trem guitar right, but I'm really committing to taking my time and adjusting everything little by little. Nut height, saddle height, truss rod, bridge height, and pickup height. Making a couple adjustments here and there, playing for a week or so, and thinking and tweaking some more. It's particularly tricky on this JS-1000. Most Ibanez floating trem guitars don't have the kind of neck radius that this thing has and it's been a bit of a bitch to really dial it in. I could take it to a tech, but i'm denoobing myself. Pole piece adjustments to come....

• Members

I've been fairly happy with my Duncan pickups with factory polepiece heights. Usually I'll adjust the overall height of the pickup to get the sound I want. Never felt the need -- not yet anyway -- to adjust the individual poles, but this thread has really opened my eyes about considering this.

• Members

I never did until I read the owners booklet that came with my PRS SE, and there was a section on polepiece adjustment. I used that as a guide, then just tweaked a little bit from there.

Did I notice a difference? I was expecting a night/day difference, so not really. Perhaps that's the point...

• Members

It's like the final tweak after you get the height sorted out. I wouldn't worry about the wax too much, most of the noise comes from loose coil windings.

Exactly.. There is no way a few turns of the pole piece will cause noise or loosen the a wax and that pole piece will vibrate. in fact most pickup manufacturers will recommend adjusting the polepieces to tweak the tone.. Even before billy posted this thread, I was tweaking away on one of my guitars yesterday. It's obviously not a monster change in tone, but I think it's very audible the difference.. And generally I do it for the slight extra attack on the low strings..

• Members

hell yes I adjust them.....the trick is to get all but the g string in line with the radius of the neck/bridge. The g string needs to be lower that the adjacent ones because for some reason it ruins the sound when that one too follows the radius of the neck

• Members
hell yes I adjust them.....the trick is to get all but the g string in line with the radius of the neck/bridge. The g string needs to be lower that the adjacent ones because for some reason it ruins the sound when that one too follows the radius of the neck

I don't totally follow that idea. I just go by balancing each string's output to match the way I want it to be.

• Members

I haven't done the pole piece adjustment yet, but each string oscillates differently and I imagine the pole heights might look nothing like the radius of the neck/bridge, especially considering the variable responses each pickup gives to different frequencies. It's all about what's heard and perceived.

Archived